Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aggressive new neighbour

(34 Posts)
albertina Wed 18-Oct-17 09:49:35

I am not sure that it is safe to have any contact with this neighbour as she sounds too aggressive ( along with her friends/relatives) If you are not the only one affected by this what about getting together with other neighbours and contacting the police or the council ?

I speak as someone with an aggressive new neighbour, so I understand the fear.

Serkeen Wed 18-Oct-17 03:12:32

I agree Eloe my advice would be to attempt to make peace as this is the only way forward

oh and nice to see that I am not the only nutter awake at this hour, I fell asleep on the sofa and then when I woke up was not tired smile

Eloethan Wed 18-Oct-17 02:10:25

She sounds like a nasty piece of work - very worrying that she is a senior nurse.

I don't think it's a good idea to write to her employers without there having been a prosecution for anti-social behaviour or some sort of documentation obtained to establish that she has been warned or cautioned by the police. She could accuse you of defamation of character.

I hope someone is able to help you sort this out. It's shocking that, especially at the age of 80, you should have to put up with this.

maryeliza54 Tue 17-Oct-17 23:22:49

If she is a nurse, this is a regulated profession and personal behaviour outside of the professional setting is taken into account in deciding if a nurse is ‘ fit to practice’. You could write to her employers listing the problems and especially the police involvement.

Marieeliz Tue 17-Oct-17 23:08:25

Bluegal I put a welcome to your new home card through the door as soon as she moved in. She was off work for the first 5 weeks supposedly with a bad back. Looked OK when she was moving in! She never looked at you when passing "blanked you from the first of.

The assault occurred when I knocked at 1.45 in the morning and asked if they could keep the noise down. Her brother in law grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me towards him. I went back in and then his wife started banging at my door, by the discussion outside it was to have a go at me.

Neighbour has it all on CCTV. When the police came they asked if I wanted to take it further but, as there were fourteen of them and only me I said no. The neighbours a few doors down with CCTV have said they will witness what has gone on when Housing come out. Problem is rear access is shared, although I own it, it is a flying freehold and the Housing never explain this to tenants. In fact sometime I have to explain this to housing.

I was quite content to leave things lie until I found the Planter thrown in the street. Anyone normal who thought it was on their property would have asked why it was there not just thrown it in the street. Then I could have explained.

They seem, she has a large family in the area, to be coming late on a Saturday, after the Pub just to make a loud noise in the early hours to make a point.

Just worry that she is a Senior Nurse in a local hospital.

M0nica Tue 17-Oct-17 18:47:41

Marieeliz, you have my sympathy. DD lives in an ex-council house where one neighbour left and the new one was housed by social services who do their best, but DD has, at times, had to sleep in her spare room because her bedroom reeked of next doors cigarette smoke because the neighbour had not laid any carpet. In this case the Housing Association would do nothing about it and in the end DD had to take up part of her bedroom floor to spray foam along the gap where the joists that bridged both properties came through the party wall.

There have since been problems with large fierce dogs in a cage, where her fence was used as one side of the cage.
Then there is the back and front gardens used as rubbish dumps. When DD complains both the HA (usually) and SS are quick to visit and get the occupant to sort the problem, but it is very wearing for DD

Bluegal Tue 17-Oct-17 18:22:47

Its always sad when neighbours can't get on I think.

When new neighbours arrive it often irks when they don't 'behave' in a way previous neighbours did (my 88 yr old mother is experiencing this as I write!). In my mum's case she has been used to living with elderly neighbours in a small close and now young ones have moved in. They immediately set to digging up front garden for their vehicles (which is what is common practice). The rest didn't like it but I said....well its their choice. They had a moving in party and mum didn't like the noise so I advised her to grin and bear it and hope that it was a one off or at least an infrequent occurrence.

I am just wondering if you got off on the wrong foot possibly? Depends if you feel you can offer an olive branch or if they are totally unreasonable, put up the dividing fence and learn to ignore?

If they are being totally anti social with loud music then am sure there are rules around it? Don't the housing associations issue warnings? Personally I would wait to see what happens before reporting them though. But as for physical assaults - never acceptable! How did it come about and is it being taken further? Why were you assaulted and where were you at the time?

Good luck and I hope it settles soon as its not nice feeling unhappy where you live.

Marieeliz Tue 17-Oct-17 17:27:38

Sorry, should be the grid in my property not bin.

Marieeliz Tue 17-Oct-17 17:25:53

I have another new neighbour, moved in 6 weeks ago. Second since my old neighbour took poorly. We are nice and quiet and good neighbours here. She has been aggressive with me from the word go. Loud parties till 2 pm. Fortunately, one of the neighbours has CCTV I was assulted by one of her relations and had to call the police. Since then she has got worse. Another loud party last Saturday woke up nearly everyone.

Came in today and found a plant pot of mine thrown in the street with a winter Chrysanthimum. When I thought it was the wind and put it back, she came out and said what are you doing with that? You are putting it on my land.

It is actually mine, she then asked where her Barrell was, the Barrell was mine it had pansies in and I had swapped it with the Chrysanthiumum. The area is a drain and I had put wrought iron around it, I really should have put it the other way around but the original tenant was 90 and had a large bin so I was helping her by not putting the fencing in the correct place.

I have now phoned the wrought iron people to come out and put it the right way around which will include the bin in my property where it should be. I have also spoken to the Housing Trust and Safer Communities. This person is a professional in NHS and not young but a mature person. I am nearly 80 what a way to treat an older person when you are in a supposed "caring" position

I am an owner occupier and there are very few Trust houses left in this area. Thought I was getting a nice settled mature person but obviously not