Gransnet forums

AIBU

To care about birthday being ignored?

(84 Posts)
Greyduster Fri 20-Oct-17 13:26:07

Anno mine is the day before yours, so little excuse for forgetting that either and, in truth, my two never do, but last year, DS forgot DH’s birthday altogether, and though he shrugged it off and said it wasn’t important, he was, in fact, quietly upset. DS was mortified when he came down a few days after and saw the other cards, but what surprised me is that my DiL appears not to have remembered it either and she is usually more on the ball than DS. Presents are never required, but it is never too much to ask to send a card and if it ever happens again, there will be much brown stuff hitting the fan - and it won’t be chocolate!

ginny Fri 20-Oct-17 12:25:14

I don't think saying that 'it's men '. They are perfectly capable of remembering and sending a card or small gift. It's not exactly difficult these days.

Just send a text on his next birthday and ignore it otherwise.

tanith Fri 20-Oct-17 12:03:07

It's sons, mine occasionally sends flowers as he lives abroad but he never sends cards. My girls have never forgotten. I'm used to it now but I know my sons partner thinks it's awful as she makes a huge fuss over her parents birthdays. I'm sure she makes him feel guilty ?

annodomini Fri 20-Oct-17 11:55:15

My family can't forget/ignore my birthday. It's bonfire night. So it's best to choose a memorable date to be born. Two of my long-ago school friends had birthdays on April 1st and Halloween.

NonnaW Fri 20-Oct-17 11:54:05

Tbh I don’t usually get cards but I normally get a present, sometimes flowers, last year a lovely hamper. It’s usually DS2 that organises things, maybe he delegated DS1 to do it and he forgot!

Greenfinch Fri 20-Oct-17 11:49:21

Last year I received a text from one of my sons saying that he had not sent me a card as we were away on holiday for my birthday. He has always been against presents and cards and I have just received an email from him citing the so called celebrities who suggest grandparents should only give one present at Christmas saying he agrees with them. He has three children so I guess I have to agree to treating these children differently from my other GC.

maryrose54 Fri 20-Oct-17 11:38:41

I would feel the same as you NONNA. Do you usually get cards from them or is it just this time.?

Moocow Fri 20-Oct-17 11:38:05

You are not being ridiculous. I sometimes wonder if it's a son thing as my own is not one for remembering or not showing that he remembers. He does bother with christmas but probably because that's the same day for everyone. I have wondered, if I were to do the same, how would he feel? I can't make myself do it.

NonnaW Fri 20-Oct-17 11:27:16

I know it’s a minor thing in these times but I can’t help feeling upset that my sons have not sent either a card or present for my birthday. I sent them messages to say we were going on holiday, which encompassed both mine and DH’s birthdays. This is not unusual, we’ve done it for several years now. DH’s children gave/sent gifts for both of us before we left. Apart from text/fb messages on the day, I’ve had nothing at all from my 3 sons. We’ve been back home since Tuesday. I’d have been happy with a card tbh.

Go on, tell me I’m being ridiculous!