Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be ashamed of the DM readers racist abuse of Nadiya Hussain?

(149 Posts)
jura2 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:47:33

Shame, shame on them - those DM readers who have attacked Nadiya Hussain virulently because she dared give advice on what to cook for Christmas and how to entertain kids during the festive season. SHAME. Makes me sick.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:12:51

I can't remember if our Muslim neighbours had a tree gillybob - anyway, a tree was originally a pagan decoration. yet another pagan symbol taken over by the Christian church.
Certainly we always get a Christmas card from them (we moved away).

jura2 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:14:14

Day6 - Left wing? This is getting a bit of an obsession for some. What has this go to do with being 'left-wing'?

My post never said it was a DM headline, nor that the racist comments were in Readers Pages. Saw a link today with a whole series of them - and they were indeed- racist and sickening. Stand by my words- shame on them.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:14:54

Is that really what a ‘traditional’ Christmas means to most in this country in the 21st century?
No, it's not Anya which is why I said:
^ and I think the majority do not celebrate it in the traditional sense either.^

But I do think that Nadiya meant that aspect of Christmas as being 'traditional'.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:19:00

Actually, I do think the OP was misleading - it certainly misled morgana who got the wrong end of the stick apparently.

If the DM was being 'racist' it would not have published Nadiya's article.
If posters pointing this out in a reasonable manner were DM readers they would have known about it. It took the opening post to alert us to it, so presumably you must have read the article and the comments jura2

confused

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:20:13

Stand by my words- shame on them.
Shame on who? Internet trolls?

I think we would all agree with that!

MawBroon Wed 01-Nov-17 17:33:45

This is all about that odious aspect of social media BTL. There were over 1500 comments posted when I looked and having read a handful, just because I could not believe what MB had said, a goodly proportion were racist
Why could you not believe what I said? (Not in the habit of lying.....)
Which was....
I clicked the link, read the article but saw NO internet comments -was I meant to go looking for them?
Normally one of the last to defend the DM my point is that there were no comments attributable to the DM.
So no pearl clutching here and I am sorry that the internet trolls have been given the oxygen of publicity.

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 17:43:42

Am I being thick? What's BTL?

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:45:00

I thought that you couldn't possibly have clicked onto the comments else you wouldn't have said what you did. Thats whatI meant sorry if it wasn't clear - thats really the fault of the OP not being clear that she was talking about the BTL comments not the actual article. You access the BTL comments by simply clicking on the comments logo ( which tells you how many there have been). The DM though do allow all and any comments without moderation so they are not really off the hook - some other BTL comments elsewhere are moderated.

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:46:59

Below The Line - its where the 'readers' go to post their intelligent, well thought through responses to the original story and the comments are facilitated through the newspaper and may or may not be moderated. The BTL section is below the story

MawBroon Wed 01-Nov-17 18:06:37

Maybe it should be renamed BTB “Below The Belt? “

Elegran Wed 01-Nov-17 18:11:22

The OP did say " those DM readers who have attacked Nadiya Hussain", not that the DM itself had attacked her. I have noticed many comments on news articles are pretty virulent. It comes of readers being able to say what they like, anonymously, without a sub-editor winnowing out the obviously deranged or abusive.

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:11:49

grin

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:14:05

Elegran theres nothing stopping the DM from pre-moderating the BTL comments - they have enough tax free resources but they probably enjoy lighting the blue touch paper and allowing the posters to say all the things that the paper itself really believes

MawBroon Wed 01-Nov-17 18:18:42

I must admit I would never have thought about finding or reading these rubbish posts, so oh dear Jura2 I can’t believe that was your pearl-clutching intention either. hmm
What I said about the “oxygen of publicity” is worth bearing in mind.
Plus if anybody does take that sort of “Traditional British “ Christmas twaddle seriously, remember Middle Eastern baby in a manger, multiracial Wise Men/kings from even further away, German Christmas trees, Scandinavian wreaths on front doors, pagan mistletoe, Turkeys (from America) , Santa Claus from Turkey via the Coca Cola ad, tangerines (from Tangiers?) sprouts, for heaven’s sake from Brussels grin
Righteous indignation is sometimes best tempered with a little discretion, and a lot of a GSOH!

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 18:25:55

Not forgetting turkish delight and Brazil nuts ( wouldn’t be Christmas without them.)?

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 18:26:12

And dates!

Eloethan Wed 01-Nov-17 18:39:23

Our next door neighbours of twelve years are of Pakistani heritage. We always exchange Christmas cards and my neighbour puts together a food hamper for us also.

They celebrate Christmas in their own way - enjoying the company of their family and friends - as we do.

Nelliemoser Wed 01-Nov-17 18:46:01

Well that is the DM for you. This is exactly why a number of posters on GN object so strongly to much of the DMs output.
Over the years this paper and other tabloids publish a great deal of comments about how bad foriegners are for the country and blame them right left and centre for all the countries ills .

The result is that many tabloid readers who have been carefully fed anti foreigner rhetoric for months on end decide to swallow all this at propaganda as true, because they do not think beyond their predudices.

That this very talented and young woman is now being abused by the ignorant readers of the particular newspapers that peddle theses lies.

Wikipedia no longer wants to be associated with what they condsider to be completely unreliable journalism from the DM

www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/08/wikipedia-bans-daily-mail-as-unreliable-source-for-website

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 18:49:10

Sigh! ‘Ere we go again.?

lemongrove Wed 01-Nov-17 18:53:01

The DM was the newspaper providing an article about Nadiya and Christmas, (you had to go looking for any comments online about it.) There are these kind of half baked comments on virtually anything online.

Iam64 Wed 01-Nov-17 18:57:54

Oh dear, the DM article was ok. I know a number of Muslim families who join in all the British celebrations from Bonfire Night, Easter egg hunts, to Christmas. Many have a decorated tree and a special family meal, as do so many of us, whether we're Christian, atheist, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, - you name it, we all like an excuse for a party.

The comments section in the DM is hilarious. So many contributors seem to be fairly off the wall and are not to be taken seriously. You do get some sensible balanced contributions but so many come from Mr or Ms Angry, incensed about life in general.
For what its worth, I thought the OP was misleading.

Maggiemaybe Wed 01-Nov-17 19:14:38

Do Muslims celebrate Christmas by exchanging cards and gifts, Christmas trees, singing Christmas songs and carols, attending nativity plays etc. ?
From my experience of working in schools with predominantly Pakistani Muslim children, I can say yes to all the above. And many have the traditional dinner, usually with chicken as Halal turkey's not as easy to come by. We'd have the same nativity plays, parties and Christmas Fairs as any other school, and groups of our children would sing carols outside Asda like any others. It was very rare a parent would ask for a child to be excused from any Christmas activity, and the family would usually be Jehovah's Witnesses.

Elegran Wed 01-Nov-17 19:24:10

"There are these kind of half baked comments on virtually anything online." Not just on newspaper articles either. You can either react with horror, which is what many of the posters are hoping you'll do, or you can treat them as you would a child's tantrum and get on with more grownup ways to treat fellow humans.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 19:38:51

I wonder why the DMonline copied the article from BBCGoodFood.
Do you really think the editor thought that her readers would enjoy the article?

merlotgran Wed 01-Nov-17 19:39:12

Thanks for explaining BTL. I've never bothered to scroll down below any article in any newspaper.