Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be ashamed of the DM readers racist abuse of Nadiya Hussain?

(149 Posts)
jura2 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:47:33

Shame, shame on them - those DM readers who have attacked Nadiya Hussain virulently because she dared give advice on what to cook for Christmas and how to entertain kids during the festive season. SHAME. Makes me sick.

Bridgeit Wed 01-Nov-17 20:18:07

England was once land joined to Europe, most foods classed as English dishes are not,they may now be traditionally what we have grown accustomed to, but their origins come from a diversity of countries & vice versa, what is wrong with people , it's Food ,celebrate & be thankful that we have some!

POGS Wed 01-Nov-17 20:33:49

I haven't read the comments on line , never have and I don't know how to.

I do know that even on Gransnet there are many posters who claim not to read the Daily Mail yet those same posters will put links up to the Daily Mail, say what is written in the Daily Mail and I cannot fathom out why they do not see the irony behind their posts.

It is now evident not only do posters who find the Daily Mail a vile rag cannot stop themselves from not only reading the paper but following the comments that follow confused

All this points to the question as to who posts comments, are they the Daily Mail readers EXCLUSIVELY?

The answer is surely who knows .

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:42:42

Of course people who post BTL comments on any newspaper are not exclusively readers of that paper. I rather thought I'd already suggested that. I read the DM online because I actually think its important to be aware of the utter crap that huge numbers of people ingest daily and believe is some kind of journalism.- sort of know your enemy. I rarely click onto the comments section and only did this time because of MB. The DM is a vile rag and I can say that confidently because I read parts of it online everyday.

POGS Wed 01-Nov-17 21:25:58

' Shame, shame on them - those DM readers who have attacked Nadiya Hussain '

Maryeliza

You prove my point how does anybody know who adds comments to a comments page which is open to ALL and sundry.

There are some who relish the opportunity to despise both the Daily Mail and it's readers, as often is the case on Gransnet , many commentators, you name it t.v show etc. etc. They go to great lengths to signal their superiority above others.

Who are commonly known as the Do as I say brigade.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 21:35:55

So, POGS, can you explain why DMonline chose to republish a column from the BBCGoodFood magazine?

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:01:56

Well that is the DM for you.
Well, no it isn't actually. The DM engaged Nadiya Hussain to write an article about what her family does over the festive season. Because internet trolls then write abusive comments online (BTL - you learn something new every day!) just shows what nasty internet trolls there are out there.
My other point was that most people would not have seen these comments had they not been pointed out to us by a vigilant poster who obviously reads the DM online.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:03:24

ps MawBroon do you think Brussels will take back all our sprouts after Brexit?
Some children may live in hope!

MawBroon Wed 01-Nov-17 22:13:53

I wonder why OP hasn’t been back to explain what she hoped to achieve other than a pro/anti DM bunfight?
Really unnecessary.
If you look carefully there are also very sane comments about how people of different faiths or ethnic backgrounds celebrate our Festive Season.
Let’s stress the positive inclusive aspects and strengths of our society rather than highlighting the lunatic fringe who seek to sow dissension.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:15:59

Quite.

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:17:11

Can anyone explain to me why the DM chooses not to moderate its BTL comments?

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:19:33

I don't know; I did presume that they would delete them as presumably they would have control over them.

MawBroon Wed 01-Nov-17 22:19:59

Is that not a question to answered by the DM?
Horse’s mouth and all that.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:21:45

Perhaps the OP could ask the editor; it would be interesting to know the answer.

POGS Wed 01-Nov-17 22:26:27

'So, POGS, can you explain why DMonline chose to republish a column from the BBCGoodFood magazine?'

Could not give a flying fig to be honest and it has nowt to do with the OP.

Or does it?

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:28:50

But a lot of the media do this; often you may see at the end of an article that it was 'first published in [wherever]'

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:33:41

and the DM often publishes articles based on GN threads.
Do you think that this one could be next?

jura2 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:36:06

MawBroon - great posts and point taken. Those comments were posted on a B group I am on- and I was so shocked and upset- hence my hasty post.

I just hate the open racism that has recently seemed to be 'acceptable' somehow. And yes, why does the DM not moderate- and get rid of openly racist comments - which are illegal anyhow.

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:43:14

I never asked you why POGS - it was a general question.why did you take it personally? I think we all know exactly why the DM doesn’t moderate its BTL comments - because it’s a vile sexist/racist rag whose main aim is to stir up bitterness and division in society.

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:45:18

Oh sorry POGS misread your post - you were responding to a different point, you weren’t referring to my question.

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 22:47:19

Exactly, Jalima.
There was an article about Nancy, the one who won in 2014, and there were only 12 comments.
DM knew it would get racist comments about Nadiya.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:53:12

Rubbish!

I think Nadiya has been interviewed for articles in the DM more than once.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 22:54:26

but Nancy, nice as she is, is not really so interesting or engaging as Nadiya. Or as young and pretty.

Sorry Nancy if you are on GN, I did like watching you!

durhamjen Wed 01-Nov-17 23:07:19

She is also white. Nobody would write racist comments about Nancy.
I know what the DM is like because my parents used to buy it, not for its racism, but for its support of the Tories. I doubt it has changed in the ten years since they died.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:19:47

She is also old(er) and Nadiya is young

Zut alors - could the DM be accused of ageism because it prefers Nadiya to Nancy?
shock

maryeliza54 Wed 01-Nov-17 23:22:25

Being guilty of racism and sexism is quite enough for the DM to be going on with