Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be ashamed of the DM readers racist abuse of Nadiya Hussain?

(149 Posts)
jura2 Wed 01-Nov-17 13:47:33

Shame, shame on them - those DM readers who have attacked Nadiya Hussain virulently because she dared give advice on what to cook for Christmas and how to entertain kids during the festive season. SHAME. Makes me sick.

Maggiemaybe Thu 02-Nov-17 22:47:57

The last time I looked in that shed it was so full of junk that he could have hidden an illegal still under it, lemongrove, never mind a hipflask!

lemongrove Fri 03-Nov-17 08:28:53

Well, you did say he vanished for long periods of time Maggie so he probably has a hip flask, a comfy chair, a heater and a radio in there as well.Sounds good!

margrete Fri 29-Dec-17 13:26:11

Nadiya Hussain? I don't know the woman. Who she?

TerriBull Fri 29-Dec-17 13:44:13

Nadiya Hussain won "The Great British Bake Off" a couple of years ago. She has an engaging personality, a radiant smile and now fronts a couple of cookery based tv programmes and has had some cookery book/s published.

Crafting Fri 29-Dec-17 14:43:36

Did anyone spot the article (not in DM) that Mo Farrah put out a photo of himself wearing a Santa hat and wishing everyone merry Christmas and received a number of nasty comments from other muslims as well as praise for being inclusive from others.

Niobe Fri 29-Dec-17 15:26:59

Amid Khan put up a picture of his Xmas tree saying how excited his daughter was about Christmas and Santa Claus. He got a load of abuse too and threats from fellow Muslims. Sajid Khan posted that he and his wife had added a rescue dog to their family and got a lot of positive comments but also some from Muslims telling him that dogs were 'haram' ie. against Islam. Sometimes I despair!

Niobe Fri 29-Dec-17 15:28:24

Sorry Amir Khan.

varian Fri 29-Dec-17 15:28:49

Between the two of them Sir Mo Farrah and Nadiya Hussein have done more for the image of British Muslims than any politician. They show how to be British and popular without having to turn your back on your religion. High achievers with such likeable personalities are great examples not just to young British Muslims but all young folk in the UK.

Crafting Fri 29-Dec-17 17:59:04

Well said varian

WilmaKnickersfit Fri 29-Dec-17 18:16:06

margrete did you realise before you posted that the last post on this thread was 3rd November 2017?

MawBroon Fri 29-Dec-17 18:24:10

I did wonder why the thread had been revived? I believe I detected a smidgeon of “pearl clutching” by OP especially as I understand it involved (bigoted) posts on a website and not in fact an article in the DM itself.
So without reviving the whole sad story, and thereby giving it another whiff of the oxygen of publicity, it would have sunk into the obscurity such DM online undoubtedly deserves.

Luckylegs9 Sun 31-Dec-17 16:01:57

Jura2, cannot see how you could possibly have read into the article any hint of rascist comments. It is worrying that you couldn't have read the article before commenting. Making a problem out of nothing.

margrete Mon 01-Jan-18 14:04:25

Thanks for the info. I'd never watched the baking programme which I understand was extremely popular, but it just wasn't my choice, hence I hadn't met the young lady concerned.

alchemilla Tue 02-Jan-18 18:37:30

Actually it would be quite a lovely reverse if winning chefs including Nadiya suggested stuff for Eid and other celebrations. Or gave us her recipes for her festivals. She's such a good cook I'd follow anything she suggested.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jan-18 18:45:13

I bought Nadiya’s Bake Me A Festive Story, and can thoroughly recommend it. She’s tied in a little story with each recipe - for instance, The Little Fir Tree with the Christmas Tree biscuits. Cute. There’s an everyday version too.

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 19:22:26

Would I be tempted to bake too much (and then eat too much?)

Good post, varian

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Jan-18 19:37:20

Well, Jalima, I do the baking with the DGC at their houses, then leave all the spittle and snot covered delights for Mummy and Daddy to enjoy. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 02-Jan-18 19:38:49

grin
I daren't use their brand-new cooker, it is too complicated for me.

merlotgran Tue 02-Jan-18 20:20:31

Ah but your efforts will not be in vain, Maggie. DGS1 and his girlfriend have just moved into their first home together. For Christmas he asked for digital scales and a traybake tin and......'Do you mind if I have that Mary Berry cook book you won on Gransnet a couple of years ago?' grin grin

Maggiemaybe Wed 03-Jan-18 00:26:48

That's a comforting thought, merlotgran. Presumably your DGS has stopped bending over to lick the dough from the rolling pin, as well? grin

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 03-Jan-18 00:28:20

I bought Step by Step Cooking by Mary Berry for my bottom drawer when I got engaged. For years the it was my bible along with the Dairy Book of Home Management that I bought from the milk man.

When I started watching the GBBO, I was chuffed to bits to think I'd bought one of Mary Berry's books all those years ago. Part way through the 2nd series I realised I had confused Mary Berry with Marguerite Patten who died age 99 in 2015! tchgrin

jura2 Wed 03-Jan-18 13:32:48

Luckylegs9:

'Jura2, cannot see how you could possibly have read into the article any hint of rascist comments. It is worrying that you couldn't have read the article before commenting. Making a problem out of nothing.'

Didn't realise this thread had been reopened. It is a pity that you did not read the title of the thread- I was not talking about the article, but the reaction to it by many DM readers, in the comments section.

I stand by my earlier comment.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 04-Jan-18 00:38:55

The DM comments section on any article about Nadiya is truly breathtakingly racist. The top comments get thousands of people green arrowing them. It does not matter if the DM commissioned the article or is 'reporting' the news, the most popular comments voice bigoted views. There is moderation, but it's very slow.

It is the same now with Meghan Markle.