Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that the Houses of Parliament should be replaced

(116 Posts)
Morgana Tue 07-Nov-17 20:17:36

With a brand new building? Instead of spending billions on attempting to repair it, why don't we just replace it with a well designed up to date building with modern technology and power saving features?

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:38:31

temperance restaurants
Granny23 grin grin grin

Kim19 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:39:45

Granny23, such effort and a well thought out solution has my admiration, respect and considerable agreement. Although your reasoning for the location is absolutely fair it seems somewhat impractical. Who knows? Maybe a chunk of population shift from down south would work. I see the old building as some sort of museum and managed by the National Trust or some other National Hertitage institution. In my opinion, far too much human congestion where parliament currently sits.

GracesGranMK2 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:41:54

Monica there will be some who think you are being serious.

Lemons, there will be some who think you only ever come on a thread to talk about the posters not the subject.

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:43:00

It won't be cheaper because there would have to be so many Inquiries, Consultations, decisions on architects, locations planning applications, objections, more Inquiries, legal objections, court cases, objections to foreign firms being involved, more inquiries, a referendum on location etc etc, more objections, lengthy discussions on GN and MN, that it could take upwards of 50 years to decide and £billions before the first stone is laid!

Then it will be shelved through lack of funds.

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:44:23

correction:
locations, planning applications

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:47:45

Monica there will be some who think you are being serious.

Lemons, there will be some who think you only ever come on a thread to talk about the posters not the subject.
confused

but there will be!
grin

railman Wed 08-Nov-17 10:47:56

100% agree with the OP here - most of what goes on in Westminster is antiquated stuff and nonsense, and its practices just serve the continuation of the ludicrous class system in the UK.

We need radical change and this would be a start, then move on to thinning out the monarchy - most of them don't seem to offer much value to the country.

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:49:02

some who think that M0nica was being serious I mean!!

and me with regard to the nice 1960s style concrete block!

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:49:36

I think they are much thinned out now anyway

lemongrove Wed 08-Nov-17 10:50:46

Absolutely right Jalima and remember how the Scottish Parliament building ran into millions more than was originally envisaged.
I hope that the repairs are done sympathetically, because it is such a lovely building.smile Anybody who can get there should go and see it.

railman Wed 08-Nov-17 10:51:42

As far as visiting the place for a look round - it's like so much of London centric stuff - it's difficult to access, and travelling to London is expensive.

Then there is the idea on the news programmes in particular that refer to "The Capital" - it is not "The", it is only one of 2 in the UK - why not refer to Edinburgh as "The Capital"

GracesGranMK2 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:52:20

We are at a transitionary stage in the history of our country. What a great way of saying we are moving forward it would be to build a modern, fit for purpose building in a part of the country where, we are all told, we are planning for growth. It would take pressure off the south-east too if we moved it further north (and that is past Birmingham).

Bluegal Wed 08-Nov-17 11:09:53

Absolutely NOT! I always liked the look of the Parliament Buildings but had a tour and invite to Prime Ministers question time last year and was totally fascinated with all the pomp and ceremony dating back centuries. The inside is simply amazing and I learnt so much! Fascinating and educational eh? We are so lucky to have such historic buildings. Tourists can't get enough.

I would recommend a visit - well worth it and I think you may change your mind afterwards.

lemongrove Wed 08-Nov-17 11:24:45

I agree bluegal it’s all part of our history, and although the present building is mainly Victorian due to a fire then, there has been a Parliament building on that site for a very long time.
I would hate to think that a Parliament building would be constructed that looked like a giant library or health centre, and situated on the edge of Solihull or Blackburn.
London has always been the seat of power in politics.

grandtanteJE65 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:35:51

Take a good look at the "new" Scottish parliament building before you knock down the Palace of St. James please!

GracesGranMK2 Wed 08-Nov-17 11:38:15

Bluegal it doesn't stop it being fascinating and interesting just because the people and the business move elsewhere and it would make it available to many more people.

Times change. People want change currently, so why shouldn't all those people be moved to a better, more fit for purpose building.

gillybob Wed 08-Nov-17 11:46:07

My town hall has just undergone a massive refurbishment program costing millions. The town was split over this as we are a very poor town with very high council taxes.

My DDiL and I recently had an impromptu tour of the council chambers when we arrived slightly too early for a school appeal hearing in one of the meeting rooms. It's the first time I have seen it after the refurbishment and had to admit that it is amazing and something to be proud of. My main gripe was why they had to go too far and spend hundreds of thousands on thousands of new leather chairs, sideboards etc. together with the most expensive coffee machines money can buy which seem to be dotted all over the place.

trisher Wed 08-Nov-17 12:08:42

But surely part of visiting the building is spotting the personalities and that adds to the feeling. I saw Glenda Jackson when I visited and a few others and Alan Sugar in the Lords (which was full unlike the Commons). My biggest difficulty was explaining to the French girl I was with what the Lords actually was and did. It is a great place to visit and I would hate to see it replaced. Although arguably if we are moving the centre of power Newcastle is the best placed city for it!

GracesGranMK2 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:10:04

Mine has decided to sell off the beautiful buildings in the centre of town they currently inhabit and build more 'fit for purpose' ones gillybob. We are a conference town and a hub for tourism so the building will make beautiful extra hotel and conference facilities, boost the economy and put the council in a more accessible place. I also think the frame of mind when it comes to work changes if you are in a better workplace that fits today's methods of work.

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:26:55

My biggest difficulty was explaining to the French girl I was with what the Lords actually was and did

That's where we could make some savings.

And it has always puzzled me how anyone can be expected to work - especially conducting affairs of state and deciding on the future of our country - when they may have spent time in the Members' Bar imbibing. The same goes for the EU too, of course
hmm

Anniebach Wed 08-Nov-17 12:46:40

Railman, Cardiff is a capital ?

Jalima1108 Wed 08-Nov-17 12:52:30

Perhaps, if we do have a new one (and I am not convinced that it would be best value) it should be equi-distant from the other capital cities and seats of power?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:05:40

I think it's a beautiful old building and it would be a shame to see it demolished BUT sadly old buildings need an awful lot of expensive maintenance. Would you knock down York Minster or Salisbury Cathedral?
What would they replace it with? Something modern and ugly? Many newer buildings are absolutely soul-less in my view and weren't built to last.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 08-Nov-17 13:06:33

vampirequeen .Is it not our history that bring so many visitors to our shores?Well its certainly not the weather.
I have seen many of our historic buildings throughout my life and hope I won't be here to see any of them obliterated for economic reasons.
It would not be economical to build as you suggest an all mod cons replacement but still use the HoP
For what .?another fast food outlet another all singing and dancing hotel.? I am sure we are in dire need of more of those.grin

GracesGranMK2 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:17:18

I don't think it is all about 'value' Jalima, if you mean money in and money out, although I do think the HoP would bring in enough to eventually cover its costs and there would be the additional money brought in to local businesses because people are visiting.

I think the value of moving would be wider. For a start, I think we would have to reconsider the structure of the Commons and the Lords. That might be seen as a value in its own right. It may also have a value in bringing work to a struggling area and a value in that getting people to work in a new Parliament might be a lot easier than in London. Housing in a currently depressed area would be easier too.

If you look it up there are claims from both Haltwhistle in Northumberland and Dunsop Bridge, Lancashire to be the centre of the UK. Where do you think would be the centre if you took your idea of the capitals?