Gransnet forums

AIBU

making xmas presents?

(57 Posts)
bobbin Fri 10-Nov-17 15:25:46

After a bit of a rocky year in terms of finances, I'm thinking of making my family's christmas presents this year. I'm a keen crafter and think I can make a good job of things that they'll really like. When i mentioned this to a friend yesterday, she looked at me like I'd said I was getting them a lump of coal each!

Is it miserly to make their xmas presents? I had thought it was more personal, but now I have my doubts confused

Jalima1108 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:20:47

just look at the loads of unwanted Christmas gifts that end up in the Charity shops.....
Every cloud has a silver lining

Jalima1108 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:22:20

well, if mine looked anything like yours hildajenniJ I would be making more!!
Very impressive

CherryHatrick Sun 12-Nov-17 15:58:20

I buy sock wool when I see it in Aldi or have it posted to me from a Drops shop in a neighbouring town and knit made to measure socks for my presents. I also knit fingerless mittens for my older friends who are frugal with their heating. I was asked last week to knit a special pair of mittens in pale lilac as a Christmas present for a friend's Mum who will be a 100 next year. I have never had a recipient be anything but pleased, but have known people turn up their noses at the thought. I just tell them how much the cost would be if I charged the same hourly rate as I did when I was a seamstress!

gmelon Sun 12-Nov-17 21:12:06

Yep, love the knitting, and now I need the pattern for those Christmas trees. Bet I'm not the only one.

bobbin Mon 13-Nov-17 16:05:08

thank you so much for all your suggestions. Having got back from a long weekend away, I've now armed myself with craft supplies and am about to start on the first present (a cross stitch)! Thanks for all your encouragement smile

Moocow Mon 13-Nov-17 16:46:14

Hand made gifts are the best! Love receiving them. Only wish work wouldn't get in the way of me making them too. Plus I know those who give them have enjoyed making them instead of tiring themselves out going round the packed shops.