Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that GN should not share threads with Twitter & Facebook

(104 Posts)
Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 17:45:37

I think that this is completely wrong. Gransnet forums should be helping people and I can't see a reason for putting it elsewhere. If someone starts a thread what possible benefit can they get from people commenting on other sites when they don't even know it is there? If they wanted advice on Twitter or Facebook surely they would ask the question on those sites.
I replied to a recent one on books that deal with death for children. My first reply, mindful of where it would be read, was simply to give the book title and author. On reflection it didn't seem particularly helpful when it is a situation where I have had personal experience so I did a few more posts that I felt were more helpful. It was for people on GN, on that particular thread.
I then find that it is on Twitter with 19.1K followers and retweeted twice and on Facebook, followed by more than 13,000.
Why?
If they feel the need why not edit and make their own article? They could put 'gransnetters advise' rather than just lifting the whole thread.
Do the majority of gransnetters know where the threads go and that everyone can read them? I do not follow on Twitter to read them- neither do I follow or 'like' on Facebook and yet I can see them all.
It inhibits me. I had put in a plea not to use the one about death- it was ignored so my only option is not to offer personal advice in future.

M0nica Tue 14-Nov-17 18:30:26

I was unaware this happens and I do not feel at all happy about it.

In the last 2 weeks 2 longstanding GN members have suffered tragic bereavements and there have been 2 long threads of heart breaking posts and support. Even if GN is open to everybody to look at, its name limits those who do come to those with some shared interest.

The thought that these might be released on to Twitter and Facebook for the entertainment of all and sundry is, to put it mildly, distasteful, no I will go further and say vile.

Cari, are you and all your colleagues really so - well I cannot think of an appropriate word - that while saying caring things on the thread, you are promptly releasing threads like these to entertain the masses?

Repellent, if you are.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 18:38:00

To do them credit MOnica I don't think that either of those threads have been shared.

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:40:28

Well, we hope they have not and will not be shared.

But the one you mention Leticia certainly has, as you have now realised.

GN is not the cosy little site that we imagine it to be. sad

Greenfinch Tue 14-Nov-17 18:41:33

I agree with both the posters above. This should not happen.

Lynnebo Tue 14-Nov-17 18:42:51

My name is far too recognisable to post anything 'sensitive ' on here .

Christinefrance Tue 14-Nov-17 19:02:11

Seems both insensitive and unnecessary.

I think you are right Jalima we imagine GN to be cosy and caring but of course it isn't,.

TwiceAsNice Tue 14-Nov-17 19:07:03

If this is true I will think twice before posting at all.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 19:09:36

They retweeted the one asking how to tell grandchildren about grandma dying- I think they thought it general enough. They didn't do the two that need great sensitivity.

starbird Tue 14-Nov-17 19:15:40

Lynnebo do you mean that people would guess who you are? I can't speak for others but I nevery know people that are called 'celebs' , the only name I'd heard of for this year's strictly, was Debbie McGee (who, by the way, has been a professional dancer in the past). I do not watch any soaps, or daytime tv, or light entertainment like X Factor - unless you are in the archers and I could hear your voice, you would be quite anonymous to me, and I suspect, most of the gransnetter generation.

Oldwoman70 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:20:13

If they are going to put threads on Facebook and Twitter could they not remove the user names.

As has been mentioned before there should be a members only section which will never be put on other social media sites where GNs could post things of a sensitive and private nature.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 19:20:17

Threads recently on Twitter
Where are the good people in power.
To downsize or not to downsize
Gloves or colander
Please call your dog
Over the top advent calendars
Fashion hates
Telling the children their grandmother is dying.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 19:23:06

They tend to be duplicated on FB.

winterwhite Tue 14-Nov-17 20:19:05

Entirely agree with OP. This came up as a side issue in the recent thread about name changing. Good to see it's now getting an airing in its own right. Can anything be done?

Crafting Tue 14-Nov-17 20:26:14

This subject has come up before and had a huge response from GN who were really upset at threads being put on twitter and FB. I thought I would not post again but then as MOnica mentioned, 2 very sad bereavements have happened recently and all though of keeping quiet goes out the window when you want to offer support and comfort to our friends (virtual or not) and the support has been huge. As you said MOnica if threads related to these issues are put on FB or Twitter that would be a vile act of no sensitivity. Take note please all those in charge.

cornergran Tue 14-Nov-17 20:38:40

I can only agree with your sentiments, crafting, the human reaction is to offer support in whatever way we can, without necessarily considering where this support might be highlighted.

mcem Tue 14-Nov-17 20:57:43

This topic was thoroughly aired a few weeks ago and, despite a significant protest from posters, GNHQ simply pointed out the guidelines and reminded everyone that it's a public site.
There has been no change at all apart from the particularly sad current threads.
It's a business, not a service, and most posts are simply fodder for Twitter, FB and some tabloid press eg Daily Mail.

Willow500 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:00:47

I had no idea this happened! I don't do Twitter and although I'm on FB have never seen anything on there that's on here. It's quite a shock - I don't know if anyone would recognise me but it certainly makes you wonder how far what we write on forums travels shock

M0nica Tue 14-Nov-17 22:03:35

We all know that GN is social media and open to all, but there is a difference between open to all on the platform and having what has been discussed here spread over other social media.

The list of subjects publicised seems anodyne enough, but in the last subject there is a move towards more personal subjects.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 22:20:39

Only 1 hour ago bumblebee123 asked all of Twitter and FB for their favourite Christmas film. Does she know this? I would have thought that had she wanted to ask them she could have tweeted it and posted it herself.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 22:23:55

I understood that GN was social media and open to all. I can see the signs that ask us to follow GN on Twitter and Facebook. I didn't understand that they simply lifted threads and put them on both sites without any editing.

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:25:32

Although I was aware that GN is on FB and Twitter, until recently I just assumed that these were different threads, different discussions than the ones on here.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 22:32:45

I think that some, like Christmas films, don't matter so much but did the person who didn't want to give her son a family ring because she didn't like his girlfriend really want it aired on Twitter? I wouldn't. I didn't post on the Remembrance thread- but I wouldn't have wanted anything I said shared beyond GN.

Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 22:36:36

Which they should be Jamila.
I think it is just laziness. They have managed to put a picture of hands next to the grandmother dying one. They seem to have missed the campaign on Twitter called #nomorewrinklyhands because of the laziness of stereotyping the elderly. I suggest they search for the hashtag and find out about it. They ought to be supporting it.

Jalima1108 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:38:05

Oh dear!