Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that GN should not share threads with Twitter & Facebook

(105 Posts)
Leticia Tue 14-Nov-17 17:45:37

I think that this is completely wrong. Gransnet forums should be helping people and I can't see a reason for putting it elsewhere. If someone starts a thread what possible benefit can they get from people commenting on other sites when they don't even know it is there? If they wanted advice on Twitter or Facebook surely they would ask the question on those sites.
I replied to a recent one on books that deal with death for children. My first reply, mindful of where it would be read, was simply to give the book title and author. On reflection it didn't seem particularly helpful when it is a situation where I have had personal experience so I did a few more posts that I felt were more helpful. It was for people on GN, on that particular thread.
I then find that it is on Twitter with 19.1K followers and retweeted twice and on Facebook, followed by more than 13,000.
Why?
If they feel the need why not edit and make their own article? They could put 'gransnetters advise' rather than just lifting the whole thread.
Do the majority of gransnetters know where the threads go and that everyone can read them? I do not follow on Twitter to read them- neither do I follow or 'like' on Facebook and yet I can see them all.
It inhibits me. I had put in a plea not to use the one about death- it was ignored so my only option is not to offer personal advice in future.

jeanie99 Tue 28-Nov-17 22:14:58

I don't understand any of this at all.
How do questions and answers appear on Facebook if written on this website?

BlueBelle Tue 28-Nov-17 22:25:45

They just link it in Jeanie
If you are reading something on a different website you can easily copy a link to say here and then everybody will be able to read the link and any comments that follow the article

Bridgeit Mon 04-Dec-17 17:36:55

As you know Lucy my user name was shown alongside my comment on the Daily Mail online .

Bridgeit Mon 04-Dec-17 17:38:01

Sorry meant Lara@ gransnet