Gransnet forums

AIBU

To not like New Year Celebrations?

(41 Posts)
phoenix Sun 31-Dec-17 15:15:18

Hello all, and sending every good wish.

I will not say that I hate New Year stuff, rather a strong emotion to waste on something so unimportant and fleeting.

However, I really can't be doing with all the hype, it's just a time of day and a number.

But what really gets my goat (and perhaps this should be in Pedants Corner) is when people ask "And what are you doing for New YearS?) Deliberate capital.

"New Years" is not a complete phrase. New Years Eve, New Years Day, yes, but NOT New Years!

By all means, celebrate if you want to (I live very near to a town that regularly appears on the top places to celebrate NYE, when I went shopping there on Friday there were already Police notices up that the main street would be closed from around 4pm today shock) but please remember that on Tuesday the world will not have significantly changed, so all your kissing and hugging, and "let's hope that this year is better than the last" might not count for much.

That said, I would like to send all of you my very best wishes for the future, especially those that have lost someone special this year, be it husband, partner, child, relative or pet, thinking of you all,

Phoenix

Deedaa Wed 10-Jan-18 16:20:53

I used to enjoy New Year's Eve when I worked behind a bar. It was always a ticket only event, so fairly civilised and the customers were all cheerful and generally liberal with their tips! Now I don't work I can't really see the point of going out when I could just have a quick drink and go to bed!

jeanie99 Mon 08-Jan-18 15:25:05

Just do what you would do on any day and the rest float over your head.
Life is too short for getting stressed about something so trivial.

paddyann Mon 08-Jan-18 14:37:11

Fennel Ideally a first foot should carry a few things ,coal so you'll always be warm,salt to represent salary as it was used to trade with in ancient times,food ,usually shortbread or what we call bun...madeira or fruit cake ..for obvious reasons ..so we always have food and Whisky though it was other drinks before whisky appeared .I use the same piece of coal my late dad uses to first foot us the first New Year of our married life 43 years ago..its put carefully away with a wee bag of salt every year and I make sure our first foot has it before crossing our threshold.Wishing you all a Guid New Year ,a 2018 filled with all youd wish yourselves,Health ,happiness and prosperity .

123flump Mon 08-Jan-18 13:34:32

One year as the clocks struck midnight and the start of the new year I was walking into the maternity hospital. Most exciting new year celebrations ever.

Jalima1108 Mon 01-Jan-18 19:28:27

And best wishes to you too phoenix and everyone
throughout this New Year[s]

Just waiting for 'Valentines' now grin

NotAGran55 Mon 01-Jan-18 19:22:03

Ha ha Phoenix !

Were you being ironic when you typed Pedants Corner , New Years Eve and New Years Day ?
Did you deliberately miss the apostrophe each time smile

jenpax Mon 01-Jan-18 10:23:52

Happy and healthy New Year to all.
I didn’t stay up,but as I was on my own yesterday, it seemed a bit silly?but I don’t feel I missed out. I will be popping the champers today and enjoying a lovely lunch ??

Fennel Mon 01-Jan-18 10:07:37

ps I've just noticed there's another thread about this.

Fennel Mon 01-Jan-18 10:04:52

When we were a lot younger we enjoyed first-footing. Husband used to have jet black hair so was suitable for the job. Carrying a piece of coal. I don't know the origin of this tradition.
Like the rest of you, now we don't do anything special.
It feels different today though, somehow.
All the best to all for 2018.

Christinefrance Mon 01-Jan-18 09:05:13

Happy New Year Gransnetters everywhere. I hope its a peaceful year and we are all as healthy and happy as we can be. wine

millymouge Mon 01-Jan-18 08:28:16

thank you [Bethsheba]

grumppa Mon 01-Jan-18 00:46:10

Happy New Year to all, even the Brexiteers.

phoenix Mon 01-Jan-18 00:17:07

Well, here I am , Hootenanny on the tv, Mr P gone to bed, . (Well I think that's were he is wink ) Not even wished each other Happy New Year!

But the world will not stop turning, and as was said in "Gone With The Wind" "Tomorrow is another day" !

Best wishes to all

trisher Sun 31-Dec-17 22:30:31

Thanks for the info about the New Year Bank Holiday. I knew it wasn't a holiday in England but couldn't remember when it happened. I do remember my first New Years Day in Newcastle in the 60s. I was so surprised to find all the shops stayed shut. Think it was something that spread down from Sotland. I used to party then. Now I can't be bothered. Happy New Year all.

Overthehills Sun 31-Dec-17 22:10:14

In bed with the cat on my lap! Happy New Year everybody!

overthehill Sun 31-Dec-17 21:35:39

We used to have friends and neighbours in (not every year) for a get together and they would bring a small amount of food and a bottle.

This ceased when one neighbour knocked her can of drink over the carpet and told her husband who promptly rattled the can and said "it's OK you still have some left " this was never mentioned to me, she didn't apologies or offer to mop up. In fact I only found out because another neighbour mentioned it.

No one else volunteered to be host and frankly I was fed up with it.

M0nica Sun 31-Dec-17 21:14:45

New year's day was not a bank holiday in England until 1974 so when I started work it was a normal working day, which rather inhibited late celebrations the previous night and I have never got into the habit of celebrating it.

As we have got older we have been more likely to sleep through it. This New Year DH has a very nasty chest infection and is already in bed and has been since 8.00pm

NonnaW Sun 31-Dec-17 21:00:20

Never been keen, happy to just stay home with DH, Jools Holland and a glass of something.

Happy New Year to all wine

Amma54 Sun 31-Dec-17 20:56:34

I shall be alone at home, either in bed with the radio or maybe watching tv if there is anything bearable on. Unlikely I think. I have always disliked the enforced jollity and, yes, the world will look exactly the same tomorrow as it does today. Maybe we should raise a glass to those who seem to be optimistic that tomorrow will indeed be better than today. I've always wanted to have a midnight dinner with my family. No idea if that will ever happen.

I'm a newbie here so this is my first time of wishing you all a very happy new year.

rascal Sun 31-Dec-17 20:53:21

Me too, complete madness, it's just another day. hmm

Bathsheba Sun 31-Dec-17 20:49:39

Here's that poem millymouge
And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:

“Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”

And he replied:

“Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.” So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night. And He led me towards the hills and the breaking of day in the lone East.”

blogs.lse.ac.uk/lsehistory/2013/12/10/the-gate-of-the-year-minnie-louise-haskins-1875-1957/

Bathsheba Sun 31-Dec-17 20:47:05

I'm afraid I won't be celebrating tonight - I shall very likely be tucked up in bed long before the bongs are ringing in 2018. I can't honestly remember the last time we actually went out to celebrate NY - got a feeling it was to welcome in the year 2000. Gosh I was a lot younger then, with heaps more energy grin.
I shall probably spend the last of this year starting on a new book (just finished one earlier today). And no, even if I am still up, I won't be watching Jools - done that for so many years, I'm bored to death with him!
However, I'd like to wish Happy New Year to all GNetters and GNHQ wine smile

millymouge Sun 31-Dec-17 20:42:22

I'm another one who dosn't really like New Year. I suppose in a way it's sort of a fear of the unknown. I think of the little poem (I can't be sure who wrote it but goes roughly "I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year give me a light so that I may pass safely into the unknown, and he replied go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God it shall be......................and safer than a known way" I can't t remember that little piece, perhaps someone knows it. Anyway a Happy and Peaceful New Year to everyone and to those you love.

vampirequeen Sun 31-Dec-17 20:37:01

I'm quite happy to sleep the New Year in.

Beau Sun 31-Dec-17 20:31:43

Haven't stayed up for years and only been out to a party on NYE once in my life - hated it. When I was young my parents told me it was a Scottish celebration and they certainly never stayed up or went out - I just think it never became part of my life to celebrate it really.