Gransnet forums

AIBU

What would you do if you were Royal?

(47 Posts)
Bridgeit Mon 15-Jan-18 17:11:20

Many people criticise the Royal family, mostly it seems because of the real & perceived privileges they enjoy ( or not)
So Gransnetters what would you do if you could swap places for a day or more?

Day6 Tue 16-Jan-18 00:10:01

Oh I'd want a LONG stint at it, say three months, with my own private house/palace.

I'd use it as a health farm. I'd consult with cook as to my healthy meals, I'd have my butler make me tea all day and mix my G&Ts in the evening. I'd have all my meals brought to me, all my cleaning done. Bliss. I'd use the pool and walk or cycle around the grounds. My bath would be run for me every evening, my bed would be made for me to jump into.

Have I mentioned I would ensure my diary was entirely free? I would have my chauffeur drive me here there and everywhere and I'd use the dosh at my disposal for a few shopping sprees. All incognito of course.

Now I am getting into it.

I'd book tables at the finest restaurants, boxes for the theatre and opera and perhaps have the private jet take me off to one of these private island resorts for a bit of beach time. I'd have a few weeks at Balmoral (alone, just with family, not other Royals) and go out all over the Highlands in a 4x4 with a fabulous picnic hamper prepared by cook.

Not very altruistic but I could do it. Pass me the crown Queenie.

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 16-Jan-18 00:39:42

Jalima very good! grin

Day6 you cheated! grin

WilmaKnickersfit Tue 16-Jan-18 00:41:38

Except you didn't. I just didn't read the OP properly. blush

Now I need a rethink. It will probably include faking my own death! grin

Christinefrance Tue 16-Jan-18 10:34:24

I would love to do all the outdoor stuff in the Highlands, dogs and horses too. I think a day walking in the Queen's shoes would be enough for me. I so admire her work ethic and devotion to duty.

Blinko Tue 16-Jan-18 11:17:20

Love your scenario, Wilma. Careful or you might get invited to make it happen! grin

merlotgran Tue 16-Jan-18 11:52:17

I'd like to have the London traffic held up so I could sweep into the Chelsea Flower Show but instead of a brief look at the show gardens I'd want to stay there all day and have Monty Don all to myself as my personal guide and lunch date!

Daddima Tue 16-Jan-18 15:46:10

I found this programme very interesting.

youtu.be/did6mMxAI6U

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Jan-18 16:35:19

Actually, the OP just says 'Royal' not HM.

I would be grand (^she's too grand for us said HM^) and haughty Princess Michael of Kent, go around the country condescending to meet the minions, cutting ribbons and all the while speaking in a very broad Australian accent as befits my early life in a Sydney suburb.
"G'Day mate, 'ow ya goin?"

Grandma70s Tue 16-Jan-18 17:38:55

I’d have a close look at all my fabulous jewellery, maybe try it all on.

I’d have some perfectly-fitting shoes made to measure.

I’d play with George and Charlotte in the nursery, and read them bedtime stories about ordinary children who live in semi-detached houses.

Menopaws Tue 16-Jan-18 17:54:41

I'd have a big breakfast wearing the Crown Jewels probably with added chinstrap to stop in falling in my cornflakes, have a private tour of London with traffic cleared so there were no traffic jams, back for small but lovely lunch and a nose round the palace, quick wave off the balcony to surprise the tourists , watch escape to the country (still wearing crown), change into something sparkling and have lovely big dinner with select friends until late. Marvellous

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Jan-18 18:24:35

You would have to bring the bowl up to your mouth Menopaws to avoid dripping the milk all down your regal gown. Not an elegant look imo.
If you tip your head forward when wearing the Crown then your neck would break - apparently, according to HM. shock
The Sceptre could be useful for reaching for toast, butter, marmalade etc without the need to tilt your head. And poking Philip when he laughs.

I can imagine the scene grin

Iam64 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:24:29

Grandma70, that sounds like a fabulous day. I love the notion of playing with the children but my favourite bit is having some made to measure shoes.

Jalima1108 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:26:02

That does sound good, about 12 pairs in various styles and colours please!

Iam64 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:42:16

Oh Yes - I'd like some good looking lace ups in various colours, leather, suede and canvas for city/town walking and some excellent country walking shoes and boots. I would also like a few pairs of what the Americans seem to call 'pumps' and we call going out shoes, you know those kitten type heel things TM wears - I don't want leopard skin, I;m not a vegan so leather would be fine. Can I have some for each of our English seasons please, in various shades of grey, black, beige, brown, light green, yellow and multi coloured - just to start with.

Menopaws Tue 16-Jan-18 21:16:30

The sceptre could crack my eggs and stir my tea too

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 21:22:02

I'd go out in my big swanky car and stop to give people lifts and do good deeds every day. People struggling with shopping "Oi! Love! Get in!" and off we'd go, home, maybe via the chip shop, or wherever they wanted.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 17-Jan-18 00:46:46

Daddima I will watch that later, thanks!

Don't know why I didn't think of it before, but I'd have Rigby and Peller sort me out with a complete wardrobe of bespoke underwear that would last me for donkey's years. I don't care if I just took away their Royal warrant! ???

Custom made shoes does sound like a brilliant idea.
Wouldn't mind a couple of bags too, but I don't like the one the Queen uses.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 17-Jan-18 00:53:51

If I could be any Royal I would be Kate so I had easy access to more up-to-date designers and shops like Hobbs, Prada, Alexander McQueen and Jenny Packham. Imagine having clothes designed just for you to look your best. ?

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jan-18 00:55:38

I'd open up my homes and gardens, and invite anyone who was lonely to come and spend a weekend, so that people could meet and get together. Like a giant craft fayre, with afternoon tea, and everything they needed. Hopefully everyone would go home with at least one new friend to stay in touch with. smile

MissAdventure Wed 17-Jan-18 01:01:59

And! I would have a wing or two where people could come to convalesce if they had been poorly and needed some tlc.

WilmaKnickersfit Wed 17-Jan-18 01:58:52

MissA I think it would be good idea to find a way to offer on a permanent basis part of the Palace for housing. Looking at the plan of Buckingham Palace, I think it should be possible to section of a whole wing. wink