Gransnet forums

AIBU

Close the curtains !!!!!!!

(118 Posts)
felice Wed 24-Jan-18 12:38:06

Am I the only one who gets annoyed during films or TV dramas when a character is in danger, being stalked or threatened perhaps and they never close the curtains at night.
They wander around in lit rooms which any Tom, Dick or Harriet can see straight into.
A trivial matter I suppose, but I noticed it in Silent Witness last night after the man had been rescued from a kidnapper.
Daft ???????

Kim19 Fri 26-Jan-18 12:19:21

railman, ditto to Spiral. Quite my favourite at the moment.

SparklyGrandma Fri 26-Jan-18 12:35:51

OR they arrive home to a dark house open the front door and walk back to the car to get something - with a bad man hiding just outside!

annemarg Fri 26-Jan-18 12:36:32

We watch the Australian soap, Home & Away, regularly and no one ever seems to lock their doors! People just walk in and awful things happen but no one ever seems to realise that if they had locked the door they would probably have been safe. It happens time and again!!!

craftergran Fri 26-Jan-18 12:39:59

Gawd I thought it was just us, it really annoyes me too when they wander around a dark house when they have heard a noise.
Every light in my house would be on and I'd be gathering ammo to throw at them, spray at them etc

BrightonBelle Fri 26-Jan-18 12:40:48

Another thing that drives me mad is that no one down south appears to close their curtains at night to go to sleep! The light would wake you up early! We have blackout blinds as well as curtains, I could not possibly go to sleep with no curtains closed for that reason and also that someone could look in (we live in a bungalow)! Is that the case?

Elenkalubleton Fri 26-Jan-18 12:44:46

Has anyone noticed,when someone makes arrangement to meet up later,they never state a time,? Even before mobile phones where being used,I want to shout at the TV WHAT TIME.Maybe because I don’t do late,unlike my friend whose always late ! Drives me barmy?

driverann Fri 26-Jan-18 12:54:38

It is beyond me how anyone can sit in their home with the lights on and curtains wide open for passers by to be able to look in. They are not shop windows they are house windows. The police advise is the curtains should be closed and night when the lights are on. It’s my pet hate, as you may of guessed.

quizqueen Fri 26-Jan-18 12:59:13

The examples described here tell you exactly why the majority of people seem to lack common sense any more and it's partly because they watch programs like this. Film and program makers need to take some responsibility for educating the population- if in danger- arm yourself, there's safety in numbers and get outside assistance asap.

sarahellenwhitney Fri 26-Jan-18 13:39:16

Supposedly to add to the atmosphere ?
Bugs me when I can't hear what they are saying in dramas and movies. Tried increasing volume to 100% then blast out of my seat when ads come on.

ReadyMeals Fri 26-Jan-18 13:53:30

Quizqueen, actually if you watch any old black and white movie they're equally clueless and the husbands are equally dismissive of their wives' suspicions. And the police are equally naive when faced with a well-groomed and polite killer.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 26-Jan-18 13:56:48

I've been saying this for years. In RL I shut the curtains as soon as it gets to dusk, after all you never know who or what is out there and there's no need to advertise the fact that you're a woman alone.
I've long since decided that the film makers believe that their audience is daft.

grammargran Fri 26-Jan-18 14:18:45

Mind you, it’s the same in real life in programmes such as Grand Designs, masses and masses of glass and no curtains/blinds. What are beautiful views in the daytime turn into whole walls of black, black, black at night. And those homes look so totally unlived in. That look is much more than a quick flick round with a duster when guests are expected. Not a pot or pan to clutter, just a tasteful vase of flowers on a working top, no carpets, no character, no warmth, no love .........

ReadyMeals Fri 26-Jan-18 14:22:07

Well you daren't really leave a thing out of place if the neighbors and any passer by are going to be glancing in and assessing your housekeeping skills all day sad

Conni7 Fri 26-Jan-18 14:59:58

Does anyone remember the film "Rear Window"? There wouldn't have been a film if the woman had closed the curtains! I'm glad I'm not the only one who shouts at the telly.

Kim19 Fri 26-Jan-18 15:49:26

Slight deviation motivated by Conni7's last. I encountered a young female on TV recently (hadn't seen her before) who was so sick of shouting at the telly political stuff that she decided to do something about it by becoming an MP. Wish we all had such stout resolve. I was somewhat impressed by what she had to say too. Must investigate.

Rosina Fri 26-Jan-18 15:50:51

The splashing around of petrol also amazes me - it must get onto the clothes or at least the shoes and legs of the arsonist, and yet a match is thrown and then off they trot, completely unscathed. The fumes must be everywhere -they would go up like a torch along with whatever they are trying to burn. Ridiculous!

VIOLETTE Fri 26-Jan-18 15:54:51

All houses have shutters here in France .....which are always closed so that the entire town or village looks deserted ....and are kept closed all day sometimes, apart from one room ....gloomy ! They don;t understand why I open my doors an windows in summer ....often loud tutting from my neighbours ..who mutter darkly about dust from the small lane ! I have mozz blinds anyway ......but I admit when we lived in a three storey house I did keep the upstairs bedroom shutters open at night ! Here we have a bungalow and I have got into the French habit of closing the shutters at lighting up time ....there are sometimes odd noises in the night, but I don't investigate ! Ins cos and Gendarmerie recommend (or demand) that if you are out or on holiday the shutters are closed what makes me laugh though is that if I see a house during the day with ALL the shutters closed then I automatically think no one is home ....(sometimes they are !) so if I think that, then surely a burglar would as well !! grin

Daddima Fri 26-Jan-18 16:48:20

Well, thanks for that one, felice! As if I hadn’t enough to annoy me with the not putting lights on and the not closing of doors, you’ve given me another thing to annoy me!

kathsue Fri 26-Jan-18 18:34:45

One other thing that annoys me in American crime shows-when they go into a building and search with torches, where did the torches come from? They weren't carrying them before they went in and they certainly don't have big pockets in their stylish clothes.

thecatgrandma Fri 26-Jan-18 20:15:52

In most of the Scandinavian dramas they all seem to SLEEP with the curtains open. Even in the summer when there’s barely any darkness. ?

humptydumpty Fri 26-Jan-18 22:40:17

I know, can you believe it!!!!!

CardiffJaguar Fri 26-Jan-18 22:43:39

Such obvious 'errors' are deliberate in most cases so that viewers can see thereby obviating the need for more script to let viewers know what they might be able to see.

dbDB77 Fri 26-Jan-18 23:51:14

Serial killer is on the loose - it's pitch black night time - woman opens her car door & gets in - I'm shouting at the TV "Look in the back seat!"
Another serial killer on the loose - woman at home alone - hears a noise in the cellar, opens the door and goes down - what?! Lock the cellar door and call the police!

NanaNancy Sat 27-Jan-18 07:10:09

These comments are so funny! I am thinking of how it makes me crazy when I see TV/films where the woman wears make-up and jewels of all types to bed (even long necklaces) or come out of the shower dry, and how everyone, it seems lives in a huge house with big gardens and there is never a mess!
And, YES close the curtains and lock your doors (even when you are home) ... and don't go looking for the maker of the noise...it could be a bear!

Lilyflower Sat 27-Jan-18 07:39:04

Must be the ‘Darwinian rule’ applied when someone dies from being too foolish on the grounds that the fittest, cleverest and strongest survive and the idiots are victims of their own folly.