Gransnet forums

AIBU

bbc male presenters.

(61 Posts)
matson Fri 26-Jan-18 12:14:46

Annoyed about this, surely female presenters salaries should have been raised to the same level as the male presenters? It is surely a bit insulting to the women that they are not worth what the men were earning!

kittylester Fri 26-Jan-18 12:16:16

I thought exactly that. Bit unfair on the men but a huge insult to the women.

mollie Fri 26-Jan-18 12:17:50

Personally I think the men’s earnings were vastly inflated and as a licence payer I’m happy to see the salary bill come down.

matson Fri 26-Jan-18 12:24:13

I agree the salary bill needs to come down for all at the bbc, but I don't think this was the correct time to do it, insulting to the women .

humptydumpty Fri 26-Jan-18 12:43:48

Agree, BBC has finite budget, the available pot should be shared out equally where women and men are doing the same job.

Anniebach Fri 26-Jan-18 12:45:34

Yet Claudia Winkleman is the highest paid light entertainment presenter by the BBC

humptydumpty Fri 26-Jan-18 12:47:43

Are there any male (TV) light entertainment presenters on the BBC?

Ilovecheese Fri 26-Jan-18 12:49:15

That's a good idea humptydumpty They could add up the total bill for the presenters and make sure that those doing an equal job should have equal pay, the men's could go down a bit, and the women's could go up a bit.

Alima Fri 26-Jan-18 12:50:30

I am with mollie here. (They still need to reduce the salary of people like C Evans I think. Leave the BBC with more of our money to produce the brilliant programmes they are so capable of).

hildajenniJ Fri 26-Jan-18 14:18:32

I wonder how much of a pay cut this will be. I bet it will not bring their salaries down in line with the female presenters. Jeremy Vine reputedly earns £700,000-£749,000. In my opinion this is way too much. Also, what does Claudia Winkleman do to deserve £450,000 pa?

Ilovecheese Fri 26-Jan-18 15:10:28

But it must be awful for those poor men, knowing that Claudia Winkleman earns more than they do!

matson Fri 26-Jan-18 15:40:35

But she doesn't, just a paltry £450,000 compared to Jeremys £700,000! How are these salaries decided and justified ?

NotTooOld Fri 26-Jan-18 16:36:31

I think no-one should be paid more than the prime minister. That would bring down all the BBC salaries plus a good few more in other organisations. And of course women doing the same job as men should be paid the same.

NotTooOld Fri 26-Jan-18 16:37:19

PS and that should include footballers.

NanKate Fri 26-Jan-18 16:47:06

How Claudia Winkleman can be paid such an exorbitant wage I do not know. She totters about on ankle breaking heels with her fringe almost hiding her eyes, I despair.

Now I think Lyse Doucet our Chief Foreign correspondent earns every penny, going to worn torn parts of the world reporting in a clear and understandable way.

Jalima1108 Fri 26-Jan-18 17:48:48

I am sorry that Carrie Gracie has left, I thought her reports from China were outstanding.

I agree about Lyse Doucet, love her accent too
And Orla Guerin - another extremely brave and talented correspondent.

TwiceAsNice Fri 26-Jan-18 18:45:14

Agree men and women should get exactly the same for the same job but sorry I love Claudia Winkleman on Strictly she always makes me laugh.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 27-Jan-18 09:26:22

I agree with equal pay. If men and women do the same job the pay should be the same. Having said that, their salaries seem ridiculous when you look at the average wage for we ordinary folk.
Obviously I was in the wrong job! Ah, if only I'd been brave enough when I was younger - maybe I could have bought a box of records and become a deejay - who knows where it could have lead? Maybe I could have got onto Radio 2 and then people would be complaining about my salary - ha, ha.

Grampie Sat 27-Jan-18 09:34:22

Being well qualified and committed to the work we negotiate our pay and then we accept what we’ve negotiated or we walk away to find a better offer.

Being well qualified but half-hearted, perhaps due to family commitments, we may settle for less.

The pay gap is a function of our commitment to the job not our gender.

Lyndie Sat 27-Jan-18 09:45:01

The BBC should be nurturing new talent not sticking with the old ones. There used to be poaching between ITV and BBC but that doesn’t happen anymore. There salaries were negotiated at that time, that’s why they are so high. Although I notice the men get older and older but the women seem to have an age cut off point.

Teetime Sat 27-Jan-18 09:49:48

It sounds to me that the BBC doesn't have a proper job evaluation scheme and remuneration structure that is fair to all. Other public bodies have to have this.

tonibolt Sat 27-Jan-18 09:57:45

I read in the paper that male presenters on the staff, (as opposed to those on Fixed Term Contract) were some of the highest earners as salaries had been fixed some years ago. The BBC cannot just reduce their pay without their agreement, so I suppose it is to their credit that 6 have agreed to substantial cuts. It could be viewed as insulting to the women, but tbh I would rather the BBC wage bill didn’t rise any further, as some of the salaries were frankly ridiculous.

BRedhead59 Sat 27-Jan-18 09:59:36

We have to get away from the myth - that we have to pay high salaries to get the best people - it's nonsense don't we want the best nurses, teachers, they haven't had a decent pay rise for years.

Ginny42 Sat 27-Jan-18 10:10:16

Can the work of someone like Claudia Winkleman presenting Strictly ever be compared with the excellent and often dangerous work done by the professional journalists Carrie Grace, Lyse Doucet, and Orla Guerin?

Biggirlsdontcry Sat 27-Jan-18 10:39:52

Carrie Grace has not left the BBC , only the China programme