Gransnet forums

AIBU

bbc male presenters.

(62 Posts)
matson Fri 26-Jan-18 12:14:46

Annoyed about this, surely female presenters salaries should have been raised to the same level as the male presenters? It is surely a bit insulting to the women that they are not worth what the men were earning!

Grampie Sun 28-Jan-18 08:46:46

I thought these high-end presenters of both genders had employed Agents to negotiate their deals.

Perhaps some Agents need to be replaced to secure better deals from the BBC.

Right now Jeremy Vine’s Agent could have a deal for him from ITV.

eazybee Sun 28-Jan-18 08:59:53

All the presenters' salaries need to be reduced, and not be more than the Prime Minister. it is public money that is being squandered.
I had a girlfriend many years ago who thought it wrong that women should be expect to be paid the same as men, because 'they have all the household responsibilities'. She never opened those nasty brown envelopes , and never had a proper job, just part-time temping.

Grampie Sun 28-Jan-18 09:20:14

Amma54,

Carrie Gracie is married to Jin, a Chinese citizen, and their two live in China.

They are now separated and Carrie may have brought her children to the UK.

We can see more than one reason for Carrie wanting to come home.

Grampie Sun 28-Jan-18 09:21:10

lived in China

kittylester Sun 28-Jan-18 10:16:17

I hope ITV poach Jeremy vine and we can have amol raja presenting his radio show all the time.

I must be the only person in the world who loves Claudia Winkelman and I find Naga Munchetti irritating beyond belief.

kittylester Sun 28-Jan-18 10:17:42

Amol Rajan - my phone is getting above itself again!

varian Sun 28-Jan-18 11:30:00

I agree kitty Naga Munchetti is very irritating. I couldn't believe it when I heard her say "who makes white sauce these days?"

quizqueen Sun 28-Jan-18 15:02:52

I fear there is a witch hunt now against men; especially white men who earn a lot. Has no one thought that their years of continuous, unbroken service could and should have contributed to their higher salary by way of increments/loyalty bonuses etc.

But, yes of course, let's have equal remuneration for equal performance so women should require only two weeks paid maternity leave the same as most men take paternity leave, women tennis players should be playing 5 sets, no asking to cut down to p/t hours because you have decided to have children if you were originally employed on a full time contract, no sneaking off to take your child to the dentist on work time or watching the school play or picking granny up from the hairdressers. Let's have the same conditions and perks for mothers (or main carers), men and childless women too.

I think it's actually women who need to step up and, if they want the same pay, as should be their right, then acceptance of work conditions need to be identical in all respects if the same pay is expected. Having children or taking extended time off for whatever reason is a personal decision and can often be detrimental not only to the company but to the other workforce and I see no reason why any company should have to accommodate anyone who cannot provide consistency. The tide has turned too much the other way now and it will be the men who are treated unfairly in the future. It's time people looked up the word equally and not just cherry picked the good bits from it.

Peardrop50 Sun 28-Jan-18 17:08:25

You make some valid points quizqueen and you make them well. There is a danger the balance tips the other way. A world of emasculated men and aggressive women would be awful.
I have to admit that I like to have a car door opened for me or a seat pulled out for me. To be told I look nice or given a hug to say welcome.
There are horrid sleazy men but the vast majority are decent blokes feeling lost as their role comes in to question. Off topic I know but this wave of extreme feminism is all connected.

humptydumpty Tue 30-Jan-18 12:51:26

I think that putting a cap on BBC salaries of not more than the PM's would be frankly ridiculous - most of the current talent would leave.

jollyg Tue 30-Jan-18 13:51:09

BBC only exists because they have a plethora of excellent camera folk/ producers, and they have excellent contacts worldwide. most of the monymake 'in-house' comes from franchising.

The in house 'plonkeres' are just surfing on the waves of their
predecessors.