Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be asked to contribute?

(85 Posts)
granoffour Thu 08-Feb-18 12:01:45

I have recently joined a local bookclub - only one meet-up so far . Everyone seems very nice (there are about 8-10 of us). All new faces to me even though I've been in the area for a few years now. The one lady is moving to Spain next week so I got an email from one of the women asking to contribute £15 towards her leaving gift. I've only met her once and haven't had more than a brief chat. I rely on my pension and I don't have a lot of spare cash. I wouldn't object if she was a friend of course but I don't want to cause bad feeling though as I've just joined the group. It's a bit awkward. Any ideas on how I should handle this?

GabriellaG Fri 09-Feb-18 12:08:30

...and I definitely wouldn't explain my finances. It's not relevant and none of their business.

DaisyMig Fri 09-Feb-18 12:10:03

I would just ignore it and I think that the lady who asked for such a large donation really overstepped the mark.
Such giving should be totally left to the person giving, whether to give or not, and to choose their own amount. As for the person leaving - does she expect a gift at all? Does she really want yet another item to pack and clutter up her new home? I wouldn’t, and would be embarrassed to be given one. Are all members who leave given a gift? If so, could be a rather expensive group to belong to!
I left all that kind of ‘duty giving’ behind when I retired. My friends and I manage to express our care for each other without being materialistic about it.

Newquay Fri 09-Feb-18 12:13:25

If it were a round robin I would be pleased you're going to be notified of things and I would simply ignore it!
If it were sent to me personally I would say, as others have said, that as you've only met her once you don't want to contribute to a gift.
You don't owe any explanation why either-you don't know these folk yet so keep private matters private.

Persistentdonor Fri 09-Feb-18 12:20:52

Even for established long term members £15 seems a lot to me. What are they buying? A plane??

Lilyflower Fri 09-Feb-18 14:00:14

Fifteen pounds is too much to ask for so donate, say, a fiver as a gesture of goodwill. My own book group is full of ultra rich ladies and I am constantly mugged for money which I do not have have. It's a bother but I count it as my membership ticket money.

willa45 Fri 09-Feb-18 14:29:43

I wouldn't talk about my personal finances with people I hardly know. You are a newcomer and that is sufficient excuse for ignoring the request. You also don't owe them an explanation but if any one of them is cheeky enough to push, you can say something like 'I haven't been a member here long enough so I'm sure you'll understand if I choose not to participate at this time'.

As some here have suggested, I would instead seek an appropriate opportunity to offer her a nice card with a short note and a small gift. She will likely remember you and appreciate your gesture much more than if you simply give the others your money.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 09-Feb-18 14:31:32

Even £5 is a lot

Maggiemaybe Fri 09-Feb-18 14:59:01

I wouldn’t even give a card or gift. You don’t really know this woman and it’s possible she wouldn’t know you from Adam if you met in the street, after one brief chat! She won’t be expecting anything. I’ve been in my book group for 10 years and we meet up every six weeks or so, but we don’t do presents or cards, ever. £15 per head is ridiculous, in my opinion - you need to bear this conspicuous giving in mind if you stay in the group. Is this going to be the norm for each birthday, etc?

Nanny41 Fri 09-Feb-18 15:22:26

That is a lot of money no matter what, why doesnt everyone give £5 if there are eight to ten of you, that will be a reasonable amount, and quite fair I think. I think the lady in question would feel embarrased if she knew how much people were giving as a leaving gift. You just give as much as you feel is reasonable, after all its the thought that counts.

Macgran43 Fri 09-Feb-18 15:34:57

At my reading group we usually contribute £1 / £1.50 for a bunch of flowers if someone in the group has been bereaved or is ill. New member would not be asked to contribute anything, £15 is far too much, I agree

marpau Fri 09-Feb-18 15:46:11

It's probably one email sent to everyone in the group. Those who have been members for a long time will think it reasonable however I don't think anyone would expect you to pay the same amount

marmar01 Fri 09-Feb-18 16:31:03

nope, i would not be contributing anything to the leaving present, i would possibly give a card if you felt you had to, but really after only been in the group 1 week I think the person leaving will understand x

123kitty Fri 09-Feb-18 16:46:02

The fact your name was immediately added to the group's mailing list is a good sign of how well organised it is, you won't miss out on any group details. Don't worry about the £15 requested, just forget about it- nobody is going to chase you I'm sure. Stop worrying, go to your next meeting and enjoy yourself.

SussexGirl60 Fri 09-Feb-18 17:09:34

There’s no need to contribute to this! It’s like someone asking for you to give money for a complete stranger if you’ve only been to one meeting. I would either ignore it or remind them that you are new to the group. I’m sure it’s just gone out blindly to everyone...the joys of technology!

Christinefrance Fri 09-Feb-18 17:11:16

I agree with 123kitty but I do think £15 is a lot for a leaving present under any circumstances. I would be a bit put out if I was asked for a specific amount, surely it's up to the donor how much they give.

SparklyGrandma Fri 09-Feb-18 17:43:23

I might offer a fiver and apologise (though you dont need to).

I remember starting a new job, meeting in a city near me for the first meeting. Someone was leaving and the manager went around the table collecting. At the time, I carried no more than a 5 or 10 note on me and declined to give it! I felt bad, but.....

Greciangirl Fri 09-Feb-18 17:52:05

So you have all been asked to donate £15. Is that right?

If so, what on earth are they thinking of buying her with all that money.? Have you had a discussion about that yet?

It must be a very extravagant gift.

EmilyHarburn Fri 09-Feb-18 18:15:57

Email a reply saying you are happy to donate £5. if that is what suits. And do not expect there to be any discussion whatsoever about a different amount.

MamaCaz Fri 09-Feb-18 18:36:42

Even £5 is a lot of money to a lot of people. A newcomer to a group should not be expected to contribute anything, and even long-standing members a group should not be put under pressure to contribute that much, let alone £15. To me, it suggests gross ignorance on the part of the organizer.

Nelliemoser Fri 09-Feb-18 19:21:50

£15 can be great chunk or someones weekly budget.

The person organising the collection should know better and just be aware others might not be as well off as others.

Grannyactivist is right.

Jalima1108 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:28:10

That is a lot - even when I've been asked to contribute to a present for someone it has rarely been more than £10, usually £5.
So, around £120 - £150 - quite a lot of money and if she is moving to Spain I hope they don't choose something too large for her to transport.

Perhaps it was just an email sent out to the whole group and the person organising it will quite understand if you only contribute a fiver as you don't know the person at all.

Or just ignore it altogether

Gaggi3 Fri 09-Feb-18 19:39:54

Perhaps it was a typo and should have read £1.50! grin
Don’t contribute and don’t explain. Very bad manners to ask you.

Synonymous Fri 09-Feb-18 19:40:36

As others have said ignore it. I would never feel constrained by anyone else into giving or not and the amount would be entirely up to myself. Sometimes least said the better and you should never feel the need to explain.

Faye Fri 09-Feb-18 20:52:38

Ignore it, you don’t know the woman who is leaving. If anything is said you could say you thought the email was sent to you by mistake as you don’t know the woman who is leaving.

Your finances are not their business, you don’t need to explain you can’t afford to contribute.

shirleyhick Fri 09-Feb-18 22:07:50

I agree with the others make a small donation if you feel you can afford it but don't feel bad about it if you can not.