Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be asked to contribute?

(85 Posts)
granoffour Thu 08-Feb-18 12:01:45

I have recently joined a local bookclub - only one meet-up so far . Everyone seems very nice (there are about 8-10 of us). All new faces to me even though I've been in the area for a few years now. The one lady is moving to Spain next week so I got an email from one of the women asking to contribute £15 towards her leaving gift. I've only met her once and haven't had more than a brief chat. I rely on my pension and I don't have a lot of spare cash. I wouldn't object if she was a friend of course but I don't want to cause bad feeling though as I've just joined the group. It's a bit awkward. Any ideas on how I should handle this?

kwest Fri 09-Feb-18 23:12:40

A box of After Eights or something similar is less than £2.00 in Asda. A card and something like that would delight most people. Maximum spend £3.00 if you shop carefully for the card. A message like 'We haven't known each other long, but I wish you well with your next adventure in life'. Kindest regards.....
A request for £15.00 is outrageous and the person leaving would probably be mortified to find out that someone she hardly knows is being asked to make such a contribution.

Eloethan Sat 10-Feb-18 00:56:21

I think I'm reasonably generous but £15 sounds a lot of money to me, particularly as several people are contributing. I too think it's cheeky to expect everyone to give that sort of amount - everybody's financial circumstances are different.

And for the OP, who has just joined the group and doesn't really know the person, I think it should be left to her to decide whether she wants to contribute a couple of pounds or not.

Each Christmas my choir makes a collection for a present for our musical director. There are about 20 of us and we usually contribute £2 each (and if someone wants to put in a little more, they can just place it in the envelope without drawing attention to it).

luluaugust Sat 10-Feb-18 14:46:02

Same here Eloethan small group I belong to usually contribute £1 or £2 and then, flowers, chocolates or bottle and card purchased for the person who organises everything. £15 is ridiculous and probably causes some of the group a worry

Grammaretto Sat 10-Feb-18 16:36:15

We have had a similar thing happen in a group I'm in. Someone is leaving but some of the newer ones hardly know her. When they were discussing a leaving present, I quickly suggested we all sign a card and give something individually if we want to. I honestly don't think she would expect a big gift.

eebeew Sun 11-Feb-18 04:46:34

Just ignore it. The email will have been sent to all members.

AlgeswifeVal Sun 11-Feb-18 21:09:59

I hope you read these comments Granoffour. No way would I pay £15 for any collection. Please do not do it. If they take humbridge , then leave the group. There are plenty of book groups at the library.

SpringyChicken Sun 11-Feb-18 21:27:24

Totally inappropriate that they even asked you for a contribution, Granoffour. The lady moving away will hardly remember you in a couple of weeks. Basically, you have spent a few hours in the same room as her! I'd say 'I'll not contribute if you don't mind as we didn't know each other' and leave it at that. I shouldn't even offer a couple of pounds in case they are giving her a gift token and need multiples of £5. Don't lose any sleep over this.

Yogagirl Mon 12-Feb-18 08:36:40

Surely it's £15 total, not £15 each, which with 10 members would be £150!! Just ignore. The lady wouldn't want more stuff to pack and send to Spain anyway. A nice bunch of flowers and card = £15.

Catlady47 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:26:20

I wouldn't give that much for someone who I met once. What are they buying?