Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think World Book Day needs a rethink.

(113 Posts)
trisher Sun 18-Feb-18 16:33:00

World Book Day on March 1st is supposed to be a celebration
World Book Day is a celebration! It’s a celebration of authors, illustrators, books and (most importantly) it’s a celebration of reading. In fact, it’s the biggest celebration of its kind, designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration of books and reading, and marked in over 100 countries all over the world
But I think it's lost its way. My local supermarket is full of dressing up costumes. Would it be very remiss of me to suggest that instead of buying one of these parents would be better off giving the school money to buy new books.
I did used to love the day when we just cobbled costumes together. I was once Miss Trumbull from Matilda and far from scaring the childen they shouted for me to "Be her again" when I tried to step out of role!

Jalima1108 Tue 27-Feb-18 14:50:04

after-thought:
they will probably hold it on another day as they are doing at some school in Wales.

Maggiemaybe Tue 27-Feb-18 17:08:49

DGS2 had his World Book Day yesterday. He went as Where's Wally? in the end instead of the dustbin. grin A stripy top, red and white hat, a pair of his dad's old glasses frames. Job done. I think they decided against the walking stick. Elf and Safety.

JessM Wed 27-Feb-19 09:34:41

Humph. Not unreasonable at all. Do teachers live in a parallel universe where one parent is at home all day, and happy to run up a clever costume on their sewing machine? My neighbours are refugees and they have limited English or knowledge of English books. It would take me ages to even explain what WBD is about. WBD is not inclusive to kids from other cultures. To add insult to injury:
1.In Wales and on holiday this week, so St D's and WBD are both being "celebrated" next week, on consecutive days. So parents are expected to rustle up WBD costume one day and St D's the next. "Children are invited to wear" either:
Welsh Costume (girls only - I'm not even sure what a boy's version looks like)
Welsh rugby or football kit
Colours of the Welsh flag.
When I was in school we wore a daffodil on St D's.
Time parents went on fancy dress strike IMO

mcem Wed 27-Feb-19 09:47:54

Heard yesterday of a very strange suggestion!
Parents and pupils being asked to sponsor the AHT to dress up for the day as Ru Paul!
What on earth does that have to do with World Book Day?

M0nica Wed 27-Feb-19 17:52:39

I think the problem is, that with most mothers working and many lacking creative skills or creative imagination, it is so much easier to just buy something and I do not blame them.

I have always loved world book day and so have DGC but that is because they have a very creative mother, an aunt who is an expert needle woman and a Grandma who can knit. So what ever the children suggest we can do it. DD has made a Jane Austen dress, Katy Morag skirt (I knitted the jumper and others.

I would hate it if the school were giving prizes for the best costume because it would give an unfair advantage to children like my DGC. Thankfully they do not

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 17:55:22

What, in this country mcem?
Nothing whatsoever to do with World Book Day.
Time for a parental rebellion

M0nica Wed 27-Feb-19 18:03:17

Who?

Gettingitrightoneday Wed 27-Feb-19 19:05:08

My daughter is also going way to far with my 6 yr old grandsons outfit. I havent seen it since two weeks.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:13:28

well, I had to google the person M0nica
(not much wiser now)

NanKate Wed 27-Feb-19 19:35:35

I suggested DS dress both his boys in their football kit. There are a number authors, such as Tom Palmer, who write footie books. Our boys are supposed to take the book in as well.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Feb-19 19:37:41

Nick Hornby too, who wrote Fever Pitch a while ago now NanKate

NanKate Wed 27-Feb-19 19:46:29

Thanks Jalima I had forgotten about Nick Hornby.

Elrel Sat 02-Mar-19 16:09:26

NanKate - Tom Palmer deserves to be so much better known. He originally wrote to fill the gap in suitable fiction books for pupils (especially boys) in Years 5, 6 and above who were not fluent readers but needed themes which would hold their interest. His books are well worth considering for any child who doesn't find reading easy at the top of primary school and later. Some are designed specifically for children with dyslexia so are printed on off-white paper.
He's really worth checking out, and not just because he enables children to wear their football kit on WBD!!

Elrel Sat 02-Mar-19 16:13:55

Oops my omission , Tom Palmer's 48 titles include some for pupils as young as 7.

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Mar-19 16:16:56

what about girls - are the books written for boys specifically?
My DGD loves football

Elrel Sat 02-Mar-19 18:25:01

Jalima - yes, the series includes suitable for girls too. He started to write to specifically provide books to fill the gap for boys around 10 but has extended his range.

trisher Sat 02-Mar-19 18:35:33

I am feeling a little more positive about this, I think there was much less publicity and some schools took no notice. Couldn't help noticing there were a lot of left over costumes in my local supermarket!

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Mar-19 18:42:45

Apparently my DGS1 is not into the Harry Potter books and has asked if he can go as the Golden Snitch. His mum is gamely working on an outfit....

Maggiemaybe Sat 02-Mar-19 18:43:22

is now, not is not!

NanKate Sat 02-Mar-19 19:12:21

Elrel yes we are pretty familiar with Tom Palmer’s work which my two grandsons love.

My own son has written for WBD. As well as writing for mainstream readers, both boys and girls, he writes for Barrington Stoke who publish books for reluctant and dyslexic readers. Perhaps you are familiar with BS ?

Marydoll Sat 02-Mar-19 19:19:01

I used Barrington Stokes books when I was teaching, NanKate
Something else we have in common! grin

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Mar-19 19:54:30

DGD said - 'everyone's going as Harry Potter' grin

I think inertia has set in

Jalima1108 Sat 02-Mar-19 19:54:48

Unless it is a primary pupil rebellion!

NanKate Sat 02-Mar-19 20:06:54

Absolutely Mary. Barrington Stoke are great publishers to work for. My DS meets up with them when he is appearing at the Edinburgh Festival.

Anja Sat 02-Mar-19 20:08:15

Oh dear! My 8-year old GS really looks forward to World Book Day and has been working in his costume during half term.