AIBU

Topics ,star ratings, a good idea ?

(125 Posts)
Bridgeit Tue 20-Feb-18 08:38:20

Would it be a good idea to rate topics :-

1 star :-no previous knowledge required

2 stars:-some knowledge advisable

3 stars :-only for the brave!

Slightly tongue in cheek, but maybe a good idea, what do you think.?

DanniRae Tue 20-Feb-18 08:41:01

* Sounds good to me!

eazybee Tue 20-Feb-18 09:37:06

I look at the names of the contributors, then I know which to ignore.

MawBroon Tue 20-Feb-18 09:53:47

You have got to be joking? grin

GracesGranMK2 Tue 20-Feb-18 09:55:08

Maybe everyone does that and that's why there are only three posts on here so far eazybee. I feel I am being particularly brave risking adding my post to another "let's be nasty" thread.

Jalima1108 Tue 20-Feb-18 10:09:43

I was going to copy and paste a 'tongue-in-cheek' emoticon but failed

No stars for me!

Nonnie Tue 20-Feb-18 10:14:48

No!

mcem Tue 20-Feb-18 10:33:00

No

annodomini Tue 20-Feb-18 10:58:36

No!

AlieOxon Tue 20-Feb-18 11:03:28

No thanks.

gillybob Tue 20-Feb-18 11:16:09

I would add a 4th set of stars .... Bridgeit

Only for the bloomin’ know it alls wink

MesMopTop Tue 20-Feb-18 12:10:52

Gillybob ?

GracesGranMK2 Tue 20-Feb-18 12:16:12

Only for the bloomin’ know it alls

Wouldn't you only be able to use this nastiest of levels if you felt you personally knew nothing? Isn't it a sense of inferiority that usually causes people to use this particularly playground bit of name calling?

I thought this had been started as just a nasty thread. Now it is becoming a childishly spiteful one.

Bridgeit Tue 20-Feb-18 13:11:03

Brilliant Gillybob?

NonnaW Tue 20-Feb-18 13:36:31

I’m puzzled as to why you would think it had been started as a’nasty’ thread GG?

Bridgeit Tue 20-Feb-18 13:45:01

Ohhps I missed your comment GG,yes you are absolutely correct GG , it is now a childish ,thread solely because of you, you who cannot wait to denigrate others,shame on you & you have the audacity to deem yourself intelligent !? an intelligent person does not look for every opportunity to put people down,I call that ignorance quite the opposite to intelligence!

Bridgeit Tue 20-Feb-18 13:46:53

Me too NonnaW,glad I’m not the only one, I thought it was lighthearted with an element of truth.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 20-Feb-18 14:04:25

When have I ever had the "audacity" or otherwise to "deem myself as intelligent". Those are most certainly your words not mine. You are lying about what I have said Bridgeit. As I have asked before - please do not do that.

Nona is puzzled. Either she has not been on GN for long or is very naïve. We have had suggestions for a 'like" button for the posts or for a couple of minutes to edit. GN decided not to do these but had they chosen to they were workable.

How could your suggestion be workable Bridgeit? Someone would have to choose the level - would that be you? If, as is patently obvious, it isn't workable then there must be another reason for suggesting it. I can only see it as another opportunity to be rude, unkind and nasty to others.

I understand that if you try to cause controversy too frequently GN will ask you to stop putting up such threads. This thread can only have been to try and cause controversy. As for nasty, gillybob obviously saw is simply as a vehicle for name calling and was praised for doing so - that is just plain nasty.

Bridgeit Tue 20-Feb-18 14:16:53

For goodness sake GG get over yourself, I know you have the word Gran in your username , but graces you have none! What you do however have is the knack of derailing threads that you don’t like, or dont like the wording of . Simple answer ,don’t pass comment, get on and enjoy the topics that you like where perhaps your opinion counts!

gillybob Tue 20-Feb-18 14:42:24

Oh I got the impression the thread was started for fun GGM2

My comment was certainly meant to be meant that way .

gillybob Tue 20-Feb-18 14:50:54

Meant to be meant ?? confused

Eloethan Tue 20-Feb-18 16:04:23

Why did you think a star rating might be a good idea Bridgeit. Any examples of threads that might warrant a 3 Star rating?

Bridgeit Tue 20-Feb-18 17:02:41

It was a lighthearted suggestion Eloethan, which I thought might help readers decide if the subject being discussed was at a similar level of understanding /interest as their own .Some posters seem to attract a lot of criticism of their opinions ,not based on their said opinion, but because it’s is not written or delivered in a manner to others liking .I thought again lightheartedly, that it would stop some unnecessary put downs, which detracts from the subject. I avoid commenting on some topics, because I don’t know enough about it.As it is an Opinions site when I do join in but it can be tiring to have someone focus on how you said it,rather than what you have said. Why not just ask the question, what did you mean? Courteous & simple.

Bridgeit Tue 20-Feb-18 17:08:32

Ps, I didn’t/don’t belong to a University debating forum, so my opinions are never going to be on the same level as someone who is,but it doesn’t mean my opinion is worthless because of its delivery . I guess there is a bit of (unintentional ?)snobbery real & reverse.

M0nica Tue 20-Feb-18 17:26:10

I can imagine nothing worse. Lots of worthwhile knowledge and information would be lost to us because of people self censoring themselves, because the THINK, quite unreasonably that they are unqualified to comment on a subject just because it has 3 stars.

Anyway, who would be the decision maker? the OP,? GN Secretariat?