Gransnet forums

AIBU

Photo recognised by stranger.

(83 Posts)
Moocow Wed 21-Mar-18 18:37:42

Never use facebook. Had thought about trip advisor but changed my mind now! Maybe it's just her friendly way, after all there are many who say they don't speak to anyone for days/weeks and what's the advise given? Say hi, smile at someone, start a conversation etc. Maybe it was the highlight of her holiday actually recognising someone whose comments had helped her in deciding where to book.

NotTooOld Wed 21-Mar-18 18:24:55

I agree with all the above about not putting personal stuff on the internet but don't you think this woman had just hit upon what she thought was a good idea to strike up conversations? Was she travelling on her own and looking for friends? She might have been hurt that you thought her weird.

sunseeker Wed 21-Mar-18 16:42:03

I never post photos online and I have warned nephews and nieces that if they put my photo online they are out of the Will!! The only things I post are funny memes which I "steal" from other sites.

Oopsadaisy12 Wed 21-Mar-18 16:26:14

But just enough detail that she took your photo and saved it, and there you were.

Just saying, there are some weird people out there.

SpanielNanny Wed 21-Mar-18 16:25:32

When my dgs was born my son was adamant that there should be no photographs oh him at all on social media. I was disappointed until I had it explained to me how easy these things can be seen by people they’re not intended for. I am now very cautious about what I post.
I have absolutely no idea what this woman was thinking coming up to you though, very odd!!

Nanawind Wed 21-Mar-18 16:22:23

Oopsadaisy12 I didn't say when I was going to this hotel i only said spring. My understanding was that she was on her own and she hoped to recognise people for conversation. She told my DH she had seen someone else from TA from the week before.
Lesson learned, I'm normally so careful what info I give. I also don't put any photos of family on social media etc.

Oopsadaisy12 Wed 21-Mar-18 16:13:45

Never use an up to date photo, never ,ever give details of when you are going away, on any social media sites. I also never post pictures of family members and certainly not GCs.
It’s amazing how much info people give out!
No need to hack into our private details, people give the info out freely.
So yes she was weird, but she shouldn’t have been able to do it in the first place.

Nanawind Wed 21-Mar-18 16:09:21

2 months ago I posted a question on TripAdvisor about a holiday resort we were visiting. My TA account is connected to my Facebook account which has my picture on. We went on this holiday recently and after being there for 5 days this lady came to me and said it's 'name' , I racked my little brain and couldn't think who she was so I had to say I'm sorry who are you. She then pulled out her phone which she had saved of this post from TA which showed my photo. As you can imagine I was a little taken back. She then proceeded to let me know that she regularly saved any posts from people who were staying at the same hotel as her every time she goes away.(6 times a year).
I've come home and changed my photo. It's freaked me out. Weird or what.