Gransnet forums

AIBU

To suggest that on this forum, there is more to be had than politics and games?

(64 Posts)
phoenix Tue 10-Apr-18 21:54:21

Post while you can, because no doubt it will be regarded as a thread about a thread(s)

hmm

Mapleleaf Wed 11-Apr-18 10:01:55

Oh, there’s lots more to be had. I browse through many of the forums, sometimes I post, other times I just read.
Like real life, some things are humorous, some sad, some contentious, some helpful, some supportive, some lighthearted and fun, etc, etc.
Long may it continue! ??

Jayh Wed 11-Apr-18 10:10:56

I echo everything that Terribull says. GN is a terrific source of information on an endless range of topics due to the variety and personality of posters. I read the threads that interest me and post if I have something to say. That suits me fine.

mostlyharmless Wed 11-Apr-18 10:18:16

I must admit to “enjoying” the political threads and feel better informed because of them. But there are lots of other threads that I read and occasionally post on.
Grand parenting issues are always interesting and often make me thankful for my lovely family. The health threads are a source of excellent advice and information. There are useful discussions about down-sizing decisions.
Growing old is a learning curve, we don’t know what lies ahead and hearing other people’s experiences is invaluable and often heart-warming.

Teetime Wed 11-Apr-18 10:31:10

Gransnet is my 'coffee shop' the place where I meet friends new and old. Some days I have a serious conversation, some days I get the privilege of giving some help. I'm not a fan of the games but see why others like them but I really like the everyday queries and discussions. The response to some of the threads I have posted has been great and so nice to know I am not alone in being a stranger to vibrators (still am). I'm on an enforced sofa sit for the next 8 weeks or something so Gransnet is a boon. Keep posting friends. smile

Squiffy Wed 11-Apr-18 10:44:15

GN is a lifeline for those of us who don't get out of the house much. It may not be the same as having RL friends, but seeing familiar names and reading their posts can be very comforting - even if you don't always agree with what's been said!

I've been on GN for about four years (I'm guilty of a name change blush)and have learned so much from the wisdom of other, more knowledgeable, posters. I'm very thankful to have access to such a brilliant site. smile

HAZBEEN Wed 11-Apr-18 11:03:46

I havent been on GN for long but am becoming addicted! I have had great support from other posters and some great advice. I have also looked through old forums and come accross stuff I had never heard of such as when researching family history. Because I have limited mobility the internet is my "window on the world" and GN is a large part of it now.
I have felt isolated in the past because I dont get out much and my family live hundreds of miles away but I am beginning to feel I have friends who are only a click away.

jollyg Wed 11-Apr-18 11:51:37

What about a poll from posters regarding their posting preferences, or is that too democratic.

Perhaps my reading of the papers both in RL and online, keeps me a tad up to date.

Politics here leaves me stone cold, but of late it has mellowed, may it long continue

Marydoll Wed 11-Apr-18 11:53:29

HAZBEEN smile flowers

farview Wed 11-Apr-18 15:07:50

I love GN...I have posted but mostly read&learn,feel less alonewhen I know others are having similar problems,heartaches,hard times,etc love the games,funny stories,ideas, advice..I dip in and take out as much or as little as I need,anytime of day or night,I have a group of really good real life friends, and I have my GN friends,. wonderful ?

jura2 Wed 11-Apr-18 15:28:19

Of course it is- and of course we all give and take from it what we areparticularly interested in- for whatever reasons.

Personally I don't need friends, or company, or fluff - but it is very important that I keep informed about what is happening in the UK currently- as I am too far away to do so in many other ways- apart from watching UK news. So I truly valued any discussion on the subject - and the variety of interesting links and discussion- from all sides. Although not the ridiculous accusations of anti-semitism made recently by some- which were unfair and totally out of order. If it is the reason why some have left- I truly understand their reasons.

As for friendly stuff- I asked recently why there is no weather thread on GN, and was told it is in the Café. So I happily joined in, with Good Mornings and updates- and not one person ever said Good Morning back. It felt very clicky and unfriendly indeed.

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 15:31:37

Help with family history - on the genealogy threads, there is some very useful information and many tips are shared.

PamelaJ1 Wed 11-Apr-18 19:05:49

Much more to be found I think. I do read and learn from a lot of threads that I don’t post on.
I must admit that I don’t spend enough time getting to “know “ any but a few individuals but I will try harder.
I’ve had good advice, I’ve probably upset a few people but I try not to and I feel that if I need it then I could ask you all for your opinions on almost anything.

annsixty Wed 11-Apr-18 19:53:36

jura I can't understand you feeling aggrieved about no- one saying Good Morning to you.
I very rarely post on that thread now, mainly because I have nothing interesting to say, but when I did I just said a general Good Morning and didn't expect a response .
It is an excellent way of finding out what the weather is like around the country.

varian Wed 11-Apr-18 20:00:48

I think that politics and games are the two opposite ends of the GN spectrum. There are some folk who never bother with one or the other, some that avoid both. They serve different purposes. In between we have everything else, including valuable advice and light-hearted amusement. If you can't find anything to interest you, start your own thread.

Baggs Wed 11-Apr-18 20:15:58

It is an excellent way of finding out what the weather is like around the country. ? I love how you put that, ann! I think it sums up the general calm sweetness of those postings. I often want to post but even when I'm there at the right time I feel I can't always get the tone right so I just read and enjoy the quiet posts of other people and wander off again.

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 20:18:35

I don't think that people respond on the Good Morning thread per se jura - I think it's like saying 'Good Morning, the weather here is foul/good etc.

When I remember, or if I am logged in, I post on there, but am not usually logged in until later.

Don't despair, other posters are reading your post even if not responding!

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 20:20:56

I don't receive or expect a response when i post on the good morning thread , I post the same every morning, Just good morning , because I like to start the say the day with a greeting ?

Iam64 Wed 11-Apr-18 21:24:42

Jura how can you say you don't need friends or fluff, then complain that no one said good morning to you in the Cafe "very clicky and unfriendly indeed"

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 22:31:22

So I happily joined in, with Good Mornings and updates- and not one person ever said Good Morning back.
I suppose if everyone started greeting everyone else with 'Good Morning' it could end up like The Waltons
(although that was Good Night).

Chewbacca Wed 11-Apr-18 22:31:54

Good evening! grin

Chewbacca Wed 11-Apr-18 22:39:35

See, nobody answered me. This place is too cliquey sadblush

Marydoll Wed 11-Apr-18 22:43:37

Chewey ?

seacliff Wed 11-Apr-18 22:48:00

Goodnight Johnboy

Jayh Wed 11-Apr-18 22:48:38

Night, Jim Bob- er, Chewbacca!

tassiegran Wed 11-Apr-18 22:55:27

I was a lurker for a long time before I joined Gransnet and I enjoy reading posts on some forums and sometimes commenting. Not keen on the games and the politics are not as pertinent to us overseas.I like the food and diet posts and style and beauty but these are not very often added to. If I started a post on these I might not get any responses either but I am thinking of having a go!