Gransnet forums

AIBU

To suggest that on this forum, there is more to be had than politics and games?

(64 Posts)
phoenix Tue 10-Apr-18 21:54:21

Post while you can, because no doubt it will be regarded as a thread about a thread(s)

hmm

annsixty Wed 11-Apr-18 19:53:36

jura I can't understand you feeling aggrieved about no- one saying Good Morning to you.
I very rarely post on that thread now, mainly because I have nothing interesting to say, but when I did I just said a general Good Morning and didn't expect a response .
It is an excellent way of finding out what the weather is like around the country.

PamelaJ1 Wed 11-Apr-18 19:05:49

Much more to be found I think. I do read and learn from a lot of threads that I don’t post on.
I must admit that I don’t spend enough time getting to “know “ any but a few individuals but I will try harder.
I’ve had good advice, I’ve probably upset a few people but I try not to and I feel that if I need it then I could ask you all for your opinions on almost anything.

Jalima1108 Wed 11-Apr-18 15:31:37

Help with family history - on the genealogy threads, there is some very useful information and many tips are shared.

jura2 Wed 11-Apr-18 15:28:19

Of course it is- and of course we all give and take from it what we areparticularly interested in- for whatever reasons.

Personally I don't need friends, or company, or fluff - but it is very important that I keep informed about what is happening in the UK currently- as I am too far away to do so in many other ways- apart from watching UK news. So I truly valued any discussion on the subject - and the variety of interesting links and discussion- from all sides. Although not the ridiculous accusations of anti-semitism made recently by some- which were unfair and totally out of order. If it is the reason why some have left- I truly understand their reasons.

As for friendly stuff- I asked recently why there is no weather thread on GN, and was told it is in the Café. So I happily joined in, with Good Mornings and updates- and not one person ever said Good Morning back. It felt very clicky and unfriendly indeed.

farview Wed 11-Apr-18 15:07:50

I love GN...I have posted but mostly read&learn,feel less alonewhen I know others are having similar problems,heartaches,hard times,etc love the games,funny stories,ideas, advice..I dip in and take out as much or as little as I need,anytime of day or night,I have a group of really good real life friends, and I have my GN friends,. wonderful ?

Marydoll Wed 11-Apr-18 11:53:29

HAZBEEN smile flowers

jollyg Wed 11-Apr-18 11:51:37

What about a poll from posters regarding their posting preferences, or is that too democratic.

Perhaps my reading of the papers both in RL and online, keeps me a tad up to date.

Politics here leaves me stone cold, but of late it has mellowed, may it long continue

HAZBEEN Wed 11-Apr-18 11:03:46

I havent been on GN for long but am becoming addicted! I have had great support from other posters and some great advice. I have also looked through old forums and come accross stuff I had never heard of such as when researching family history. Because I have limited mobility the internet is my "window on the world" and GN is a large part of it now.
I have felt isolated in the past because I dont get out much and my family live hundreds of miles away but I am beginning to feel I have friends who are only a click away.

Squiffy Wed 11-Apr-18 10:44:15

GN is a lifeline for those of us who don't get out of the house much. It may not be the same as having RL friends, but seeing familiar names and reading their posts can be very comforting - even if you don't always agree with what's been said!

I've been on GN for about four years (I'm guilty of a name change blush)and have learned so much from the wisdom of other, more knowledgeable, posters. I'm very thankful to have access to such a brilliant site. smile

Teetime Wed 11-Apr-18 10:31:10

Gransnet is my 'coffee shop' the place where I meet friends new and old. Some days I have a serious conversation, some days I get the privilege of giving some help. I'm not a fan of the games but see why others like them but I really like the everyday queries and discussions. The response to some of the threads I have posted has been great and so nice to know I am not alone in being a stranger to vibrators (still am). I'm on an enforced sofa sit for the next 8 weeks or something so Gransnet is a boon. Keep posting friends. smile

mostlyharmless Wed 11-Apr-18 10:18:16

I must admit to “enjoying” the political threads and feel better informed because of them. But there are lots of other threads that I read and occasionally post on.
Grand parenting issues are always interesting and often make me thankful for my lovely family. The health threads are a source of excellent advice and information. There are useful discussions about down-sizing decisions.
Growing old is a learning curve, we don’t know what lies ahead and hearing other people’s experiences is invaluable and often heart-warming.

Jayh Wed 11-Apr-18 10:10:56

I echo everything that Terribull says. GN is a terrific source of information on an endless range of topics due to the variety and personality of posters. I read the threads that interest me and post if I have something to say. That suits me fine.

Mapleleaf Wed 11-Apr-18 10:01:55

Oh, there’s lots more to be had. I browse through many of the forums, sometimes I post, other times I just read.
Like real life, some things are humorous, some sad, some contentious, some helpful, some supportive, some lighthearted and fun, etc, etc.
Long may it continue! ??

TerriBull Wed 11-Apr-18 09:55:24

Yes so much more to GN than politics, quite invaluable for exchange of information on varied conditions such as the menopause, under active thyroid even root canal procedures sad which I've had rather a lot of lately. Sometimes you don't want to bore the drawers off your friends on certain things that pertain to you but not necessarily them. I like to know about the experiences of other GNs and where they live, mundane stuff like what the weather is like in their part of the world. I like the book threads, a bit dormant at the moment, MN have some great book discussions I joined there first mainly for book reviews. I dip into the tv and film threads I like to read others' opinions. Travel experiences too if I'm contemplating going somewhere new. I think the support threads are invaluable to those going through bereavement or estrangement and it makes me appreciate what life can throw at any of us. I think one has to be pragmatic about politics and current affairs as with any group of random people there will be a wide spectrum of opinions shaped by personal experiences.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Apr-18 09:49:03

I also enjoy specific threads - I think the discussion on abortion has been really interesting, thought provoking and in many instances moving.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Apr-18 09:47:30

Not going on certain threads eg games doesn’t mean you look down in them or are impatient with them does it? What I don’t like is the constant rubbishing of the politics thread and some of the posters on them. I think it’s great to have such a range on here of so many things - I’ve discovered tv series I wouldn’t have heard of otherwise for example

annodomini Wed 11-Apr-18 09:29:19

I can see, at a glance, that there are plenty of threads unconnected with politics or games. It's clear that some posters are impatient with the games forums; well, the message to them is simply to ignore them.

Farmor15 Wed 11-Apr-18 09:11:15

I rarely look at the games threads but have enjoyed some of the lighthearted ones. As I’m not in UK the politics ones are of no interest. However, I’ve learnt a lot about family relationships here- just reading, mostly not posting.

Gransnet is a very useful resource, in my opinion. Only problem is that I’m getting addicted to it smile

seacliff Wed 11-Apr-18 08:59:29

I only post occasionally but pop in most days. I do get a bit lonely at times, and just reading and often laughing at some conversations really cheers me up.

There is something for everyone here I think. No need to look down on those who just enjoy a frivolous light hearted conversation. Who knows what's going on in a persons life? It may be just what they personally need to get them through the day.

maryeliza54 Wed 11-Apr-18 08:56:27

I don’t understand the OP at all - of course there’s more on here than politics and games confused there’s whatever we want there to be be to be used as we want to use it personally. I never go near the games thread ( but sadly did look at Josephine solitaire - was that you OP? And am absolutely addicted to it now) What posters have left recently?

Anniebach Wed 11-Apr-18 08:41:57

This forum is my only companion now.

The politics threads have been a war zone for about two years but so as Westminster.

Again I repeat I doubt I would be alive now if it hadn't been for so many earth angels here who got me through last November. And I have had help with buying a table, putting on weight, to have or not have another puppy, advice when my dog had cancer. On potato peelers, insomnia, what's worth watching on tv. I have learned about different parts of the UK, laughed and cried with posters with their ups, downs and heartaches .

Far more here than politics and games,

BBbevan Wed 11-Apr-18 08:36:27

I find it so interesting. The variety of people and threads. The different opinions. The excellent advice and support, generously given. And to relax, I like the games. Nothing too strenuous but fun.

bikergran Wed 11-Apr-18 08:24:59

I remember GN when it was first up n I couldn't wait to log on and join in....

We had lots of fun with virtual silly parties (Pendle Hill Halloween for one) then there was a trip to Blackpool where I lost my inflatable friends lol (one floated out to sea)
I think had a trip to a Castle if im right!

As I have mention before..I had so much support and messages from Gn when my dh passed away, it still brings me comfort to think all those people who I will never meet sent me messages, without them I would have been much worse.

I still pop in GN every day smile sometimes Im in the mood for posting, other days a just sit in a corner lurking around smile

Things change people come and go, new posters arrive with new ideas and input as do real friends come and go.

Many of the old original posters seem to have dissapeared .
I would be sad if GN dissapeared. flowers
ok off to work now charity shop day , have a good one all smile

Iam64 Wed 11-Apr-18 07:53:39

Yes, there's more to this forum than politics. I hope the politics and news threads can be more interesting and less unpleasant than they have become. More people, with different views will hopefully start contributing.

gillybob Wed 11-Apr-18 07:35:44

Like chewy said up thread, there is so much more to gransnet than politics (and dare I say games) I really don’t know where I would be without it some days. Shared happiness and sorrows, chatting about nothing much at all and sometimes having a good old rant or a belly laugh. All human life is here !
Three cheers for Gransnet !