Gransnet forums

AIBU

Facebook

(50 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 13-Apr-18 13:58:53

As you may recall, "Facebook" is in the news; as if you could be allowed to forget.smile
So the following might be of interest. It comes from the UK quarterly magazine "Evergreen"
I'm told it's also out there on the Internet, but here goes.

Anti-social Media"?

"For those of my generation who do not, and cannot, comprehend why Facebook exists.

" I am trying to make friends outside Facebook, while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.
I also listen to their conversations, and give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I "like" them. It works just like Facebook!

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist."

I think it's very clever and funny. smile
Especially as I don't use Facebook and never will.

Cheers

stella1949 Fri 13-Apr-18 14:12:51

I love Facebook. I don't do any of the things mentioned, but I get a lot of pleasure from it. I've reconnected with many old friends from the past, which has led to some wonderful reunions. I belong to groups from various towns where I lived during my younger years, which are always interesting. My own town has a community FB group where we share local news and views. And my far- flung family shares pictures and stories of family life.

Good luck to you if you don't use it , but for many it's a great tool for communicating .

MissAdventure Fri 13-Apr-18 14:17:29

grin
Very good, Rufus.

pensionpat Fri 13-Apr-18 14:27:18

I love FB. Anything that I don't like I ignore. It enables me to publicise, locally, for free, my fundraising. So I am very open and see comments from people I wouldn't normally meet. Any or all of them can support my charity. And I don't judge (much).

I do wish though that people wouldn't be quick to take part in the many quizzes such as what was the name of your first teacher/school/pet. How old were you in 1969 etc etc. Apart from being pontless, this is the kind of info we are encouraged to use as passwords. Please don't make it easy for the bad guys/gals to harvest information to build a profile.

Caledonai14 Fri 13-Apr-18 14:38:03

I appreciate that Facebook works well for some people and I am glad that so many find it such an enriching experience.

However, I know of several people who have had their lives disrupted because they have put too much information "out there" for all to see.

The OP is a clever and light-hearted way of making the point and I hope nobody is offended. I have a friend who posts pics of every meal in or out - much to her DH's dismay and puzzlement.

On a more serious note I know of people who have received very terrible or sad family news through hearing it was on Facebook and seen first by someone they barely knew who has then been delighted in their shock or surprise.... that can't be right.

trisher Fri 13-Apr-18 14:44:34

Facebook is like anything else if you use it sensibly and carefully it can enrich your life, provide you with valuable info, give you a laugh sometimes, publicise things you are involved with, keep you in touch with friends and give people a way of contacting you. If you are an idiot and post loads of personal stuff it is a dangerous nightmare.

shysal Fri 13-Apr-18 14:49:56

Very funny Rufus! I don't do Facebook, not interested in the minutiae of the lives of so-called friends.

jusnoneed Fri 13-Apr-18 15:24:43

I use FB a lot, have found family and old friends on there and keep in touch. I don't post personal details, and only have a couple of pictures on my page. I don't do any of the so called quizzes/surveys etc.
Common sense tells me not to put really private stuff on any site, including here - after all this is open for anyone to see too. Like anywhere online it's down to you to think security.

MawBroon Fri 13-Apr-18 16:41:15

The old ones are always the best ones, aren’t they rufus?

BlueBelle Fri 13-Apr-18 16:49:08

I love Facebook I ve been on it ten years and never got anything but pleasure from it
I do do quizzes and post photos belong to a number of groups, from my town, my old school, charity work etc etc I have found people, some I didn’t know existed and some I hadn’t seen for 60 odd years
I don’t have any family or friends who post drivel lucky me but fb s my friend in the evenings or when I m on my own

Ukulele28 Fri 13-Apr-18 17:29:10

I am a Face Booker and enjoy using it. I don't play the games or do competitions.
I only have "real friends" who I'm in touch with as friends.
stella1941 I also belong to groups from town/estate I grew up on plus towns I've lived in over the years. I also belong to groups from my primary and secondary school, both have led to reunions which I have attended and enjoyed.
What I don't get though, is why some people feel the need to post pictures of whatever they're eating/drinking!

Poppyred Fri 13-Apr-18 17:41:10

Brilliant Rufus! I am on Facebook but only because my sister persuaded me that 'I have to keep up with the times"!! But most of the time I want to shout FOR GODSAKE ENJOY YOUR HOLIDAY/DAY WITHOUT POSING FOR PICTURES EVERY 5 MINUTES THAT NO ONE ELSE IS REALLY INTERESTED IN SEEING ANYWAY AND MAKING OUT THAT YOUR LIFE IS SOOOO PERFECT - ONLY FOR YOU TO BE 'in a new relationship' ALL OF A SUDDEN AFTER BEING SOOOO HAPPY WITH SOMEONE ELSE YESTERDAY. Rant over sorry!

BBbevan Fri 13-Apr-18 18:33:33

Brilliant . I am not on Facebook as I have no interest in the trivia of other's lives.

MawBroon Fri 13-Apr-18 18:56:43

Like this post?

Marmight Fri 13-Apr-18 19:38:07

Maw grin

grannysyb Fri 13-Apr-18 20:07:29

Love it Maw, where do you find them?

Jalima1108 Fri 13-Apr-18 21:10:05

grin

"Yes, I can cook nice meals too, and I don't need to look at the dinner you have just cooked for your family - sit down and eat it before it goes cold!!"

"Your face looks lovely without doing that 'distorted' thing with an app - please don't post it as I cannot 'like' it and may have to delete you".

Jalima1108 Fri 13-Apr-18 21:11:15

MawBroon
'Like'

rascal Sat 14-Apr-18 08:58:35

Brilliant Rufus2! That's how I see it. I had a chuckle. Thank you. If I want to be in touch with family and friends I can text them, email them, phone them, WhatsApp them or even write with a pen and paper! No need to let the world know your business! I am sure no one is really interested anyway. hmm

Bathsheba Sat 14-Apr-18 09:16:16

I love Facebook - it's a great way to keep in touch with friends old and new, often people that you would probably lose touch with otherwise. I belong to several groups based on my hobbies and interests, and have learnt a lot from them which has been of great help to me.
Rufus, that old joke is funny, I couldn't help laughing even though I've seen it before. For those of you who 'don't do' Facebook, though, people aren't telling complete strangers about their lives, or posting photos for the whole world to see. There are many privacy settings you can put in place so that your posts are only seen by the people you choose to see them, i.e. your friends, not strangers smile

Nanny41 Sat 14-Apr-18 09:18:45

I am on Facebook really becuase it keeps me in touch in an easy way, with friends and family far away.
BUT why do people think it is so interesting for everyone to see what they have made for a meal, baked etc, selfies every few minutes, also there is one oerson who starts the day every day with " hello all you sunbeams out there, the weather is going to deliver ---" please do we need that, I feel for the people who dont feel like sunbeams, and dont need the "jolly hockey stick" performance every day. Just keep it simple and interesting please FB lovers.

Persistentdonor Sat 14-Apr-18 09:23:46

smile Brilliant!!

Coconut Sat 14-Apr-18 09:36:00

Rufus2 ... your post did make me laugh ... each to their own of course but I also am not on Facebook. Some people update it so much, I have seen them lose their jobs ... data protection, official secrets act etc It becomes obsessive to some.

Bizzylizzy53 Sat 14-Apr-18 09:50:44

Brilliant Rufus .What a good sense of humour

pollyperkins Sat 14-Apr-18 09:53:49

Bathsheba I agree -I have privacy settings so only fb friends can see what I write and they are all friends or family in real life. Having said that a couple of my 'friends' do tend to post hundreds of pictures of their holidays and also of 'delicious'food they have cooked or are eating out. But you can easily ignore that. It's a great way of keeping in touch with friends and family far away without having to email them all seperately.