Gransnet forums

AIBU

Facebook

(51 Posts)
Rufus2 Fri 13-Apr-18 13:58:53

As you may recall, "Facebook" is in the news; as if you could be allowed to forget.smile
So the following might be of interest. It comes from the UK quarterly magazine "Evergreen"
I'm told it's also out there on the Internet, but here goes.

Anti-social Media"?

"For those of my generation who do not, and cannot, comprehend why Facebook exists.

" I am trying to make friends outside Facebook, while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later and with whom.

I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.
I also listen to their conversations, and give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I "like" them. It works just like Facebook!

I already have four people following me: two police officers, a private investigator and a psychiatrist."

I think it's very clever and funny. smile
Especially as I don't use Facebook and never will.

Cheers

GabriellaG Sat 14-Apr-18 09:55:43

Rufus2

That is so funny and I can just imagine the scenario.
I too, choose not to be on Facebook. It's out of control like a car on a 3/1 incline with the handbrake off.

hildajenniJ Sat 14-Apr-18 10:19:08

I deleted my Facebook account. I thought that my privacy settings were all in place, but apparently not. Some of my friends received loads of videos supposedly from me. I hadn't posted them, got spooked and deleted my account. I don't want a stranger pretending to be me.
That was several months ago, and I haven't missed Facebook at all.

adaunas Sat 14-Apr-18 10:29:25

Stella 1941 I also like groups for schools I went to and places where I used to live. I have joined groups who share the same hobbies too and they’ve been great for meeting up. If they occasionally post pics of food they’ve enjoyed, so what. I block posters who I find objectionable even in a group I like.
It’s a timely reminder about giving out info in quizzes and I never post about holidays when I’m actually away. You never know who’s looking in.
Fb is like every other social media site, even GN. If you like it, use it and if you don’t, then don’t.

radicalnan Sat 14-Apr-18 10:36:13

Love face book. My friends only post sensible stuff and I appreciate being informed of local events and when the town is grid locked with traffic or cut off by flooded roads, I have seen lost dogs reunited with owners and all sorts of socially useful things.

Like every other social interaction it depends on the people involved.

Lindajane Sat 14-Apr-18 10:47:30

Why do people who never use something find the need to critise it! I use Facebook. Not as much as I used to. I find it keeps me up-to-date with friendships, and more importantly, keeps family, who live far away up-to-date with our family, especially GC. I only ‘share’ with my family and only have friends, or follow, people I’m happy to share and see updates from. I don’t post to random strangers.
Like real life, there are friends who think people are interested in their everything activity! Fortunately you can scroll past the posts when you’re not interested, unlike being trapped by them in the ‘real’ world

Milly Sat 14-Apr-18 11:17:36

Ha Ha Mawbroon and Rufus, thank you for a laugh on a worrying world news day

Ruby41 Sat 14-Apr-18 11:26:21

A strong echo of Milly's post - we certainly need a laugh today although, in contrast with the news, the sun is shining and the sky is blue (well, it was earlier on today!)

sarahellenwhitney Sat 14-Apr-18 11:45:05

Rufus 2.
You and me both.

Minerva Sat 14-Apr-18 12:00:23

Facebook is about much more than pictures of pouting holidaymakers.
There is a facebook support page for each of dozens if not hundreds of chronic diseases, including one that I admin.
Doctors do not have the time, or often even the inclination, to help people with rare conditions they haven’t heard of and the information and advice gladly given by fellow sufferers is a lifeline, especially to the newly diagnosed and anxious.

ginny Sat 14-Apr-18 13:28:29

Was about to post but LindaJane said it all for me.

inishowen Sat 14-Apr-18 14:08:48

I love facebook. I recently found a link for my old Primary School and have been in touch with people I haven't spoken to since I was a child. Sadly my family no longer post photos of their children on fb due to lack of privacy.

quizqueen Sat 14-Apr-18 14:59:32

I was very sorry to see Friends Reunited close down as it helped me reconnect with a few old acquaintances. There was just the right amount of sensible information put on that site.
However, I really can't see the point of facebook and the totally mundane and often ridiculous things people put on there. I think there must be a lot of sad and insecure people out there who can't just enjoy life's experiences without having to display them to the world and gather 'likes' from others.
If I want to contact real friends and tell them something I email them personally, text, write them a letter or phone or, this may be a way out idea, I go to see them personally. Anyone else's business I'm not really interested in.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 14-Apr-18 16:03:10

That's very apt, Rufus and gave me a good laugh.

ginny Sat 14-Apr-18 18:11:02

Quizgueen, as others have said , you don’t have to tell the whole world.

KatyK Sat 14-Apr-18 18:51:15

Facebook must be great for keeping in touch with people you can't get to see often. I used to be on it but deleted my account. It made me feel that everyone else was having a wonderfful life and I certainly was not. I realise some people 'embellish' their lives but FB made me feel very left out and low, so for my sanity's sake I came off it smile

Legs55 Sat 14-Apr-18 19:17:13

I love facebook for keeping in touch with friends who are living miles away from me. I only post the odd photo from my holiday when I come home. I've never posted a photo of food. I also use messanger a lot, these are private & it is more convenient than a phone call at times.

I don't use Watsapp??? heard of it but have no idea how it works.

I also phone, use text & email. My fb friends are mostly people I know, there are 3 that I haven't met but we have mutual friends & interests, a bit like having a penpal.

I'm also a member of my Town's page, great for keeping in touch with what's going on locally.

My privacy settings are very tight & I have blocked a couple of people, I never accept friends requests unless it's some-one I know. Used sensibly it's a wonderful means of staying in touch with other people.

KatyK Sat 14-Apr-18 19:20:57

Legs55 Whatsapp is a type of texting service. It is free and you can receive and send pictures without charge. You can also set up groups on it, for instance if you are organising an event or something.

SueDonim Sat 14-Apr-18 19:34:35

If you're on FB you'll probably have seen the OP before, more than once. It's been knocking around for some time. grin

FB is invaluable for our family. We are widely scattered round the globe and FB/Messenger makes it so much easier to keep in touch. When your first grandchild is born 5000 miles away, how much easier to see those first pictures via the internet than waiting for the postman to arrive some weeks later - if they ever arrive at all.

Being able to talk for free as well, no expensive phone calls now. Last night we Facetimed with my son in America; at this end it was both his sisters, dh and me and we had a great family chat. His two youngsters joined in at times, as well. No amount of letters, emails or phone calls could replicate that.

We also have friends scattered round the world and it's great to keep in touch with them so easily. I guess if someone lives in the same area they've always lived in, FB seems an irrelevance but for those of who've lived in many places over the years, its wonderful.

No one has to be on Facebook so I really don't see why non-users think it's fair game to knock those who do. You can scroll past anything you don't like or aren't interested in and I'd rather hide someone's boring holiday snaps on FB than sit in their house having to ooh and aah over them!

seacliff Sat 14-Apr-18 19:36:07

I like Facebook. Like most things, it's good in moderation, and with very tight privacy settings.

I belong to several local village/town groups. Lost dogs/cats are located, possessions reunited with their owner. I also like finding out what's on in our quite rural area - even a sudden pothole, sudden road closure, lost dog running on the road etc. A good music evening etc.

I chose not to have many "friends". There is one cousin who posts too much for my liking. I just change the setting so I don't see all his posts but we still are friends.

I am a member of some private groups, such as a diet group. The daily posts and menu ideas encourage me, and I can chat to like minded people in private. I have joined some groups and then decided they are not for me. I just leave again.

It's easy to knock things you've never tried. It's not all bad.

Jalima1108 Sat 14-Apr-18 20:02:02

I agree with Sue~Donim's post - except some of mine are 10,000 miles away.

DGC, who is staying at the moment, just showed me how to Facetime grin

Jalima1108 Sat 14-Apr-18 20:03:34

I'd rather hide someone's boring holiday snaps on FB than sit in their house having to ooh and aah over them!
those were the days!! Go over to a relative's house for a meal (thank you, lovely!) then spend the whole evening staring at a wall while they projected their boring holiday photos on there.

SueDonim Sat 14-Apr-18 21:34:49

FaceTime is great! We prefer it to Skype as we get a much better connection and it rarely drops off.

I was once invited to someone's house to view the holiday photos of a mutual 'friend'. We were shown about 50 and then, to our horror, they produced a memory stick, of even more snaps, which they wanted to plug into my host's TV to display. She was adamant that her tv had absolutely no capacity for such folderols and we were spared the nightmare of yet more holiday pics! grin

MissAdventure Sun 15-Apr-18 00:05:25

grin

maddy629 Sun 15-Apr-18 06:29:38

Like stella1949 I love Facebook, two years ago I found two cousins I have not seen since I was 19 years old. I now have lots of new family which is lovely and would never have happened if not for Facebook. The privacy settings keep you safe if you use them properly. I also belong to to groups for people where I was born and grew up. For anyone who doesn't like Facebook I say, don't knock it until you try it!!!

Greengage Tue 17-Apr-18 01:00:21

Hope everyone realises that Gransnet is on Facebook!