Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dog poo hanging in trees.

(125 Posts)
pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 16:12:03

We've just been for a lively walk in the local woods. The wood anemones and wild daffodils are flowerig and a few blubells are coming out. The sun was shining, the birds were singing ...BUT it was spoilt for me by the sight of several plastic bags of dog poo hanging in the trees. Why do people do it? It won't rot in the bag (would be better left where it was on the ground from that point of view)

Iam64 Sun 15-Apr-18 22:08:38

Ok, we all agree but what can we do to stop the selfish, careless, unpeasant idiots who don’t clean up after their dogs.
I always have spare pooh bags and offer them to anyone who seems to have ‘forgotten’ theirs. I chalked after two men, one of their three staffie types left a huge pile in the middle of an off road footpath in a busy beauty spot. The grinned and one pulled out his empty pockets to confirm he’d no pooh bag, my offer of a few bags was met with ‘f.... off”. That worked then

Chewbacca Sun 15-Apr-18 22:18:13

A similar experience to me Iam. I stopped and offered a young woman a bag after seeing that her dog had left a mess on the pavement right outside the village school. She looked at me scornfully, said nothing and kicked the poo onto the grass playing field and walked off. Nice eh?

Menopaws Sun 15-Apr-18 22:18:24

Luckily I live opposite open fields so leave it for nature as he always takes himself off to the middle of a field where people don't walk but I always have a bag on me in case he does it on a path

Hilltopgran Sun 15-Apr-18 22:47:37

I cleared up 20plus bags of dog poo thrown in a corner of our drive at Easter, then today another bag hanging on the fence grrrr. There is a public right of way up our drive to NT land, why if they care enough to pick up do they not take it away!! We also have a problem with mountain bikers who the NT have asked not to cycle on their land due to damage from erosion, guess what the notice is torn down and thrown into our garden every time the NT warden replaces it.

seasider Sun 15-Apr-18 23:10:39

I walk along swinging my bag of dog poo. I often think if I got mugged I could offer them my bag! I always take it home. Not sure why people leave it to collect later ( if they ever do!)

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 23:28:27

We have one dog bin in the village near the end/start of a path which a heroic resident empties. None near the woods or near any other paths nearby. Most people take it home I think but clearly not all!

Synonymous Sun 15-Apr-18 23:30:04

We live on a corner and guess where the bags of dog poo get chucked!? Yes, right into our garden. angry

absent Mon 16-Apr-18 07:02:52

As far as I am concerned, you scoop up the poo in whatever sort of bag you like, put the bag in a bin – either one provided in the park, open space or at home – and that's it. It took months for me to stop squashing plastic bags into my pockets every time I went out after my dog died. There are responsible citizen dog owners and there are arseholes. Sorry, but that is the only word for such stupid and irresponsible people.

OldMeg Mon 16-Apr-18 07:39:27

Plenty of dog bins round our way, but none of them brightly coloured. Most dog owners do take their bags home to dispose of if there are no bins. It will be just the odd one or two who do this.

OldMeg Mon 16-Apr-18 07:43:07

There are responsible citizen dog owners and there are arseholes - exactly Absent.

I’ve been known to hand one of the arseholes a poo bag before now. And it was a little old lady in a tweed skirt.

Menopaws Mon 16-Apr-18 07:47:14

Last year I was walking daily in a large park in Australia and it was the only one for miles so full of dog walkers, they had lots of fun signs about picking up poo and poo stations consisting of bins, packets of poo bags and hand wipes. There was still poo about and it seemed to be the early morning walkers who walked before anyone saw them that were the culprits, so it def seems to be about the people and not just the facilities provided

MawBroon Mon 16-Apr-18 07:53:45

Old Meg - how relieved am I that I don’t even possess a tweed skirt! grin

MawBroon Mon 16-Apr-18 07:56:16

This thread reminds me of one of Paw’s carers who greeted me with “Do you have a dog?” When I asked how she knew (Hattie being safely shut away) she said I had poo bags hanging out of my jeans back pockets!
Fortunately unused ?

Blinko Mon 16-Apr-18 08:39:22

As a non dog owner, I see the need for removing dog poo from public areas, but surely the dog poo itself is actually biodegradable. What about the poo bags? Are they biodegradable? If not, surely it's just moving the problem elsewhere, probably landfill?

justrolljanet Mon 16-Apr-18 10:29:07

I have a dog, his poo goes into a biodegradable bag, if we cant find a bin it comes home with us and is put into our refuse bin.

GoldenAge Mon 16-Apr-18 10:31:52

The reason people do this is very obvious - it's because they are responsible, and sorry if this offends the inner sensitivities of anybody on this thread but it's people's right to take their dogs out for a walk, and it's also their responsibility to pick up their poo rather than leave it on the ground for a child to fall into. However, local authorities also have their responsibility to provide litter bins in parks, woods and on the streets. If someone has been completely responsible and picked up their dog poo only to find there is nowhere to dispose of it the only solution is to hang it on a tree, away from the ground where it could be trodden on, and to bring to the attention of the local council the need for a litter bin. People who don't care about their dog poo just leave it on the ground, so next time you see a plastic bag hanging from a tree, approach this with a different perspective, be glad that you are in a neighbourhood where dog owners are responsible - oh and before you say they should take the poo home - it's not practical to carry it around, especially if you have a child and need to hold a hand.

janma57 Mon 16-Apr-18 10:34:51

I always thought people left it for the "poo fairies" to clear up.

Urmstongran Mon 16-Apr-18 10:39:59

We used to have two cocker spaniel sisters. We lived near meadows & rather than carry a full poo bag(s) on our walks I used to put them down somewhere recognisable then retrieve them on our way home, to bin. Sensible I thought.

grannytotwins Mon 16-Apr-18 10:41:22

I posted a photo of a big pile of filled poo bags on FB. It was left on a busy, muddy and overgrown public footpath which is our only route to the bus, supermarket and community centre. The local paper published my photo last week with a story on my delightful find. Fame at last!

blueberry1 Mon 16-Apr-18 10:43:13

Blinko,there are bio-degradable bags available,which I always buy but the cheaper ones,Poundland,etc.,are just regular plastic.
I always pick up and bin my dog's poo but there are bags hanging on trees and poo left in the middle of pavements in our area.It is often the owners of large dogs who seem to leave it.I have also seen people pick up their dog's poo,then throw the bag behind one of the street telephone wire boxes.

GannyRowe Mon 16-Apr-18 10:45:46

I am lucky, my dog poos and pees on command. So there is never an issue. But, like you I hate to see all these bags left. I'm sure it is those who 'forget' on the way back that are the problem, plus the idiots who get some sort of kick about flinging it about.
My gripe is with those who those who walk dogs after dark, mainly men in my experience I'm afraid, who don't bother. They argue they can't see where it is, TAKE A TORCH, or seem to think it's toxic and are scared to touch it!
And don't get me started on cats! They seem to think my garden is a public convenience just for them.

Liz08 Mon 16-Apr-18 10:48:35

In my local park I see many dog owners happily chatting with other owners which nice and sociable, great. But they are so busy talking that they stop watching their dogs who are then free to roam and leave their deposits unnoticed - except by me.
I have only once spoken (politely) to the dog's owner and pointed out the offending poo. My comments were not very well received by anyone in the group - you'd think I was at fault! I'm too much of a coward to do it again blush
I'm not a dog owner and really don't mind other people having dogs as they obviously give them great pleasure. But, as many have commented, please consider others and be responsible for everything your dogs do.

wilygran Mon 16-Apr-18 10:48:42

I'm one of the walking along swinging the poo bag category, but I do buy very secure biodegradable ones online!

allule Mon 16-Apr-18 10:51:26

To add a lighter note: when my daughter was about 8, she and a friend took a neighbour's dog for a walk. When they came back, they said " She gave us a plastic bag to take, in case she did a poo....but we couldn't get her to sit on it"

ajanela Mon 16-Apr-18 10:53:19

I would aways pick up pooh if I had a dog. When in UK I take my daughters dog for a walk and do so. There is a dog warden who comes and watches us all in the park and there are bins in the forest.

One problem Mike, the dog, usually turns around in circles when he is about to pooh, but sometimes when I get there I can't find anything, could be "wind"?