Gransnet forums

AIBU

Colours,your favourite and how do you use them?

(55 Posts)
Panache Wed 18-Apr-18 09:01:20

Would it be...........
In your home,in your wardrobe or possibly in your Jewellery Box?

I love,love,love purple and all colours of the sea from a deep jade,to aqua marine and whilst coupled with cream I have used these colours within my home to great effect and many a compliment may I add .........

Whilst these colours always take precedence in my wardrobe.

The colour purple is often associated with Royalty,nobility,luxury,power and ambition.Purple also represents meaning of wealth,extravagance,creativity,wisdom,dignity,grandeur,devotion,
Peace,pride,mystery,independence and magic.

Jade is a talisman of peace and serenity.It calms and restores,like a veil of slow moving clouds covering the moon.It is spiritual.It ranges from pale to mid blue,sometimes a pale bluish-green,and is widely used to temper emotional upheaval!

Aquamarine enhances creatitivity and inspiration,it calms and balances the mind and emotions,often referred to as “water of the sea”.

(Please don`t judge me, by my outfits or my home by these descriptions.............although I do find many of them to have much truth within them!!!)

lemongrove Wed 18-Apr-18 16:59:36

Yes, I have noticed all the mustard colour around in clothes.
I think it would suit darker colourings.
I love jade green, and there seems to be a bit of that around now.

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:11:14

I love purple -ish but not in home furnishings. I use it it scarves, wraps, accessories.

Just love love soft sage greens, and toning greens, with cream. And the ashy pink of faded hydrangea blooms.
These colours are used in my living and dining room.

At present I am knitting squares for a blanket using these colours. I actually took a few sprigs from the dried hydrangeas to the wool shop to get the perfect shade of ashy pink. The pic doesn't show the ashy pink properly.

The bathroom is grey and white with acquamarine, I think the paint was called 'seaspray'. So pale and so beautiful. Just a pop of yellow in a couple of blooms and my towels vary from white, to yellow, to acquamarine

The kitchen cupboards are ivory as are the walls with one done in 'seaspray'.

The colours please me so much.

Fennel Wed 18-Apr-18 19:59:19

My favourite, and the one that suits me best, is turquoise. Like some of yours, coolgran.
I also like pink in clothes. I used to have auburn hair.
In house decor, plain old magnolia with warm reds and browns.
When younger I liked olive green, but not now, it makes me look jaundiced.

Fennel Wed 18-Apr-18 20:00:13

ps I can't understand the current fashion for black in clothes, so depressing.

Greyduster Wed 18-Apr-18 20:07:23

The only time I wear olive green, fennel is when I’m fishing! The fish tend to notice you less than if you’re standing in a river wearing shocking pink or bright yellow grin.
When we refurbished our bathroom recently with grey marble tiles and white gloss furniture, I chose teal accessories to dress it with and have to say they complement it perfectly - right down to the little rubber duck that Bathstore gave me!

petra Wed 18-Apr-18 20:13:47

Am I the only person who keeps thinking of the Jenny Joseph poem : When I am an old woman I shall wear purple grin
Purple in clothing always sums up elasticated waists to me.

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Apr-18 23:20:56

""Am I the only person who keeps thinking of the Jenny Joseph poem : When I am an old woman I shall wear purple""

petra I think of it all the time.... and perhaps sub consciously that's why I have a (very tasteful) purple flash/slice in my hair down one side.

BBbevan Thu 19-Apr-18 05:35:19

No, I expect we have all thought of that poem. But don't agree with the ' when I am old' bit. Old , us, never ?!!!!!

Apricity Thu 19-Apr-18 06:08:24

Out shopping one day a lady quite a bit older than me, probably well into her 80s, came into view. Everything was purple or shades thereof - hair, clothes, glasses, bag, shoes even her walking frame was out and proud purple. I thought she was wonderful. ? ?‍? ??

Panache Thu 19-Apr-18 08:53:58

Hear,Hear to that lady you mentioned Apricity............there goes little ole me one of these days!!!

If you love purple then flaunt it................even the Queen was dressed overall,coat,dress and hat in the colour not so long ago,and furthermore she looked a picture.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 19-Apr-18 09:49:11

I love blue and of course beige! I entered a pastel phase many years ago and never left it so it's obviously really 'me.' I try to wear beige/brown one day and blue/grey the next, swapping shoes to go with them.
Interiors of my house are the same colours so one day I'll probably just disappear into the background!

Coconut Thu 19-Apr-18 09:52:52

I am a baby blue person, I so love that soft tone. My home is very shabby chic so lots of pale blues and soft pinks. My lounge in my last house was every shade of blue, navy sofa, blue walls and carpets, dresser with blue and white willow pattern bits etc so every one even called it the blue room.... it looked amazing, like a blue haze !!

Nanny41 Thu 19-Apr-18 10:14:02

Purple is my colour too, I love green, but Purple is first choice.My Daughter and her Daughter were looking at something for me and it was a choice between purple and green, my Granddaughter sensibly said "Grandma likes purple best"

GabriellaG Thu 19-Apr-18 10:36:24

I'm all for white. No black, orange, reds, yellows or strong pinks.
White, greens, blues, blush, nudes, putty and pale coffee with lots of mirrors, glass console and coffee tables and colourful art on the white walls. No dust gatherers (curtains and ornaments)
I have wooden white shutters and very pale coffee linen thermal roller blinds.
I change the cushions, throws and artwork in spring/summer and autumn/winter.
I prefer plenty of natural light, unfussy rooms, table lamps and a few indoor plants.

Sheilasue Thu 19-Apr-18 10:43:30

Love purple, blues, pale green have a jade necklace which I wear often with matching earrings.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 19-Apr-18 11:01:56

Ice cream colours, are my favourites. Can't stand intense colour where you have to turn on the lights on dull days.
Coffee .vanilla ,pistachio, lemon etc.

henetha Thu 19-Apr-18 11:09:13

Pink! I know it's not tasteful but as I am now really old I can indulge myself, can't I. I've been looking around my living room and deciding that it's not pink enough. So I bought a pink throw yesterday. And I'll get a pink lampshade probably. Does anyone make pink sofas?
And I'm going to wear more pink clothes. It just cheers me up somehow.

grannybuy Thu 19-Apr-18 13:02:32

Current colours of soft furnishings in my house are mustard and grey, with a little pink in the bedroom. One public room has taupe, with a muted purple and orange, and the other room grey with deep yellow and dusky pink, plus a maroon sofa. It's a new build, and all the walls are white, so the colours standout well. I don't tend to wear white or pastels or primary colours. The colours that attract my attention are muted like wine, rust, mustard, dusky pink, mauve as opposed to purple and more olive shades of green. There is very little blue in my house. I was determined that once I retired, I wouldn't become a 'beige lady', and I haven't. I know many people whose home decor is mainly beige, cream and brown. I like colour, but each to their own.

Panache Thu 19-Apr-18 13:38:06

www.willowandhall.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/6b9ffbf72458f4fd2d3cb995d92e8889/T/e/Tea-Rose_150_1_1_1_8_2_474.jpg

I found this lovely tea rose sofa henetha..........though I am not too sure will this link work,my first effort..........but just as a starter you could look up www.willowandhall.co.uk...........they have several pink sofas, and yes many other firms will oblige!!!

dogsmother Thu 19-Apr-18 13:42:28

I love most colours. I avoid the ones that are what I recall my father referring to as washed out dish cloth colours! Usually going for bolder ones, and much as I do like purple I have always understood it to be 5he colour of mourning.

henetha Thu 19-Apr-18 14:20:09

I tried that link Panache and it worked. OMG I want that sofa! Thank you so much....

Panache Thu 19-Apr-18 14:22:51

........and henetha the pleasure is all mine so please let us have pics once you have that sofa installed in your pinker than pink room!!...

Yes it is a beaut I agree.......and there are more!

henetha Thu 19-Apr-18 14:32:56

I promise to post a photo (if I can figure out how to) when I get the pink sofa, Panache. It's second on my list. I'm about to have gas central heating installed, but after that........
watch this space! flowers

1974cookie Thu 19-Apr-18 17:17:42

Bright red is my signature colour where clothes are concerned. It wasn't until I had my colours done, that I discovered that it really suited me. Prior to that, I did not dare wear it as I was convinced it would not suit me. I was over the moon to find out otherwise.
One colour that I avoid like the plague with just one exception, is navy. Jeans are the only navy item of clothing that I will wear. Whenever I think of navy, I think of those awful, unflattering, ageing crimplene 'slacks' that were common some years ago. Thank goodness we older Ladies are no longer expected to wear clothing that reeks of "Past It".

squirrel5 Thu 19-Apr-18 18:40:58

I have been out all day,and have just read your post Panache, it could have been written by me!,I love greens and purples,my lounge and dining room have Jade carpets,cream walls,and cushions with greens and purples,the main bedroom has one wall in deep purple,the other walls in a muted lilac,purple rugs,I always feel these colours have a calming influence,My wardrobe mostly various jewel colours.