Gransnet forums

AIBU

Colours,your favourite and how do you use them?

(54 Posts)
Panache Wed 18-Apr-18 09:01:20

Would it be...........
In your home,in your wardrobe or possibly in your Jewellery Box?

I love,love,love purple and all colours of the sea from a deep jade,to aqua marine and whilst coupled with cream I have used these colours within my home to great effect and many a compliment may I add .........

Whilst these colours always take precedence in my wardrobe.

The colour purple is often associated with Royalty,nobility,luxury,power and ambition.Purple also represents meaning of wealth,extravagance,creativity,wisdom,dignity,grandeur,devotion,
Peace,pride,mystery,independence and magic.

Jade is a talisman of peace and serenity.It calms and restores,like a veil of slow moving clouds covering the moon.It is spiritual.It ranges from pale to mid blue,sometimes a pale bluish-green,and is widely used to temper emotional upheaval!

Aquamarine enhances creatitivity and inspiration,it calms and balances the mind and emotions,often referred to as “water of the sea”.

(Please don`t judge me, by my outfits or my home by these descriptions.............although I do find many of them to have much truth within them!!!)

BBbevan Wed 18-Apr-18 09:27:09

I like the blue spectrum best. Indigo, purple, lilac and all blues are my favourite. These are reflected in the garden, in my clothes and jewellery. Not in the house though as this is mostly shades of green.
I dislike yellow and orange and never wear black as it makes me look like the walking dead

kittylester Wed 18-Apr-18 09:39:11

When I had my colours done, I was told that everyone can wear purple which is a good job as I love purple, pinks and blues.

We have incorporated purple into our bathroom, the 'playroom' has a deep purple wall and pink and grey curtains and our bedroom is 'very pink' as described by my niece.

However, our lounge has dark red walls with gold curtains and the dining room has the same red on the ceiling with red, black and cream curtains. I think DH must have had an influence there!

NanKate Wed 18-Apr-18 10:03:24

I'm another purple addict, plus lilac and dove grey.

I should think my coffin will be covered in what my GSs call 'Nanny's colour' but let's hope that is a long time off.

Teetime Wed 18-Apr-18 10:14:57

I am purple, mauve person - love it - amethyst is my birthstone and I love jewellery. New hall carpet is a purply blackberry colour fabulous!!!

lemongrove Wed 18-Apr-18 10:22:00

Purple is one colour I can live without ( sorry!) or any shade of it.
My faves are blues and greens and pinks, to wear, and in colour schemes in the home, soft ivory, and shades of pale blues and greens.

Cherrytree59 Wed 18-Apr-18 10:22:50

Purple from me to!
Started in the 70s decorated my room purple whilst parents were away also had foot prints on the ceiling lolgrin

Now I am a bit more grown up
I have thick purple carpet in bedroom but keep bedding white just add accents of purple or berry colours

I often wear various shade of purple scarves so not head to foot in purple.

My little DGC are always saying Gran loves purple!

My phone and pad covers are always purple!

M0nica Wed 18-Apr-18 10:23:36

Whoever said everyone can wear purple was wrong. If I wear purple, unless I wear a lot of blusher, everyone asks me if I am feeling well. I look yellow and ailing. The same applies to green.

I love Autumn colours from yellows and reds to rich browns. They are the colours that look best on me and I love the season as well

lemongrove Wed 18-Apr-18 10:23:58

I used to like cream, or black to wear, but sadly now it looks ageing ( although I do now and again with a bit of colourful jewellery.)

Poppyred Wed 18-Apr-18 10:29:06

All shades of blue and sunshine yellow.

Mapleleaf Wed 18-Apr-18 10:47:31

I love the autumnal colours - rusts, browns, yellows, greens, reds, etc. I have a lot of these shades in the house. I love the Autumn, too, MOnica, but I also love the freshness of Spring, with the lovely colours that season brings. I must be contrary! ???
However, I’m not averse to other colours. I tend to wear what matches my mood. As long as a colour doesn’t make me look wishywashy, I’ll wear it.

Lindylo Wed 18-Apr-18 11:01:03

Absolute favourite is any shade of green. Have always loved this spectrum although everyone else thinks I'm mad. Also like really bright colour for clothes as they are so cheerful.

Teetime Wed 18-Apr-18 11:04:41

My feet are purple too!

JenniferEccles Wed 18-Apr-18 11:19:17

Did anyone see the documentary on Monday with the Queen and David Attenborough?

I LOVED the colours in the Queen's dress; pale green, cream, light brown. She seemed to blend in with the canopy of trees they were walking under, which I'm sure was why those colours were chosen. The dress looked like silk. I want it, but in a slightly different style as I'm not 91!

I also love pinks, light blue, light yellow, in fact most pastel shades.

This time of year is wonderful for me now we have some colour back in the shops.

annodomini Wed 18-Apr-18 11:40:53

Shades of blue, green, turquoise, purple (not lilac) and pink - but not pastel shades. I prefer my colours definite. Yellow is a 'no' but gold is just about OK. I've gone off black except for trousers. Strong colours like red in small touches, maybe on a scarf.

Greyduster Wed 18-Apr-18 12:36:06

I seem to drift toward blues, purples, hot pinks and dark reds. Now I come to think about it, apart from a diamond ring, the pieces of my jewellery that contain stones seem to be Blue John, garnets, rubies and amethyst!

GrandmaMoira Wed 18-Apr-18 13:23:29

Blue is my favourite colour and also like purple and green, especially jade or turquoise. I dislike orange and don't like red or yellow much.
When I was younger I had winter colouring and could wear strong clear colours but now I am paler, summer colours are better.

Anniebach Wed 18-Apr-18 14:23:05

Green, blue, rust,

Dislike black, red, orange. yellow -except in flowers. Hate white .

Never wear jewellery , but my collection of crystals are mostly amethyst, rose quartz , green topaz

Panache Wed 18-Apr-18 15:05:09

Just been for a wander around our local M & S and noticed a lot of mustard shades prevailing at the moment, a colour I have never worn or used in our homes,whilst I admit the cheerfulness of the golden daffodil has always been a big favourite of mine......similar in shade I think.
I am pondering whether to just "dip my toe" and test out the colour, I did see a heavy cable knit cardie,it is something I am in need of so perhaps I will take the plunge!!

paddyann Wed 18-Apr-18 15:16:17

I wear a lot of navy and red ,sometimes together but usually a complete navy outfit or a red dress.I like yellow its the only colour of flowers I ever have in the house,its a little ray of sunshine .I decorate often currently doing a spare bedroom in purple and grey ,my kitchen cabinets are french navy and my sitting room acid green and grey.
Panache I wore a lot of mustard in the 70's and I'm looking at that colour for a bedroom once we've completed the one we're on now .My dining room is red and we took the electric light away from the ceiling and have a candle chandelier above the table which gives a lovely atmosphere .I guess I just like colour .

chelseababy Wed 18-Apr-18 15:43:03

I've just rediscovered mustard and it seems to suit me - I've had seviral compliments. I'm going to get my colours done in May but will be interested to see if I am "autumn" as the mustard would indicate. I heard anyone can wear red as it contains no blue or yellow.

Welshwife Wed 18-Apr-18 15:49:41

That is a very interesting read - I tend to have light walls. -cream or grey sort of things and have colour in the furnishings and curtains - wine, gold etc depending on what it is and where.
When it comes to wearing colour beige, mustard and a lot of green shades do not suit me at all - I find it is often the tone of the colour that matters. Years ago I had a lovely red coat and thought I would try and get another one last winter but the shades were far more coral than pinky toned and not good - too harsh on me.
I do try to have various colours in my wardrobe but to a great extent find some years the shops are full of totally unsuitable colours for me.

kittylester Wed 18-Apr-18 15:57:02

Like you, Paddyann, I just live colour.

lemongrove Wed 18-Apr-18 16:57:43

And love it! grin

Panache Wed 18-Apr-18 16:59:12

More colour the better without doubt!!!