Gransnet forums

AIBU

Disposable Coffee Cups

(28 Posts)
Megram Wed 18-Apr-18 09:23:26

There is much hand wringing going on in the Press and TV regarding the use of these cups in the various coffee shops that you can find on every street corner these days. Surely the answer is simple? Stop it. When did it become the norm for people to be unable to get from A to B without a flipping cup of coffee in their hands?
Sorry, I realise that I sound like a grumpy old git, but I am so cross about this. We have allowed ourselves to be swayed by these companies in much the same way as the bottled water firms and the planet is now paying the price. I worry for my grandchildren and the legacy we are leaving them.

Megram Thu 19-Apr-18 09:34:19

gillybob, of course I don't wish to see anyone lose their job. However, we do need to move with the times, and I wonder if that means that we must think ahead now and become a less "disposable" society for the sake of generations to come.

I'm delighted to read in the news this morning that the government is planning a possible ban on the use of plastic straws and cotton buds. A large step in the right direction!

granjan66 Thu 19-Apr-18 18:20:09

In the US it now seems normal to carry coffee cups into church services. People cannot go to a one hour service without coffee? I find this unbelievable.