Gransnet forums

AIBU

The humble cuckoo,”In April come he will,In may he sings all day”.

(41 Posts)
Panache Thu 19-Apr-18 10:31:56

Has anyone heard the distinctive call of the cuckoo yet?

As a child and youngster it was always a treat to be the first to hear that call,we lived in the heart of the countryside and it was an annual visit,making us feel Spring had well and truly arrived with summer virtually “on our doorstep”

We then spent some 25 years living on the coast where sadly, we never once heard that call.
Although now back in the country for some 14 years we still have not had this joy.

Of course it has quite a journey to travel from Africa and due to our inhospitable winter perhaps it is going to be a late arriving this year.

Grandma70s Thu 19-Apr-18 10:57:07

Sadly, I haven’t heard a cuckoo for many years. When I was a teenager in the 1950s, they used to drive me mad with their constant repetitive call. Now, I’d love to hear it.

henetha Thu 19-Apr-18 11:03:58

We get them around here, but I haven't heard one yet this year. We don't hear them as much as we used to, I think their numbers have dropped quite badly.

phoenix Thu 19-Apr-18 11:07:37

No, YANBU.

Greyduster Thu 19-Apr-18 11:21:37

Heard one last year out in the Peak District. If we hear one a year, we count ourselves lucky these days, yet, like Grandma70s, they were a regular feature of early summer walks when I was a child. I always find it odd that we all look forward to hearing that they are around, when they’re really pretty beastly in their habits toward other birds. Reed warblers, particularly, suffer from their predations. But, that’s mother nature.

merlotgran Thu 19-Apr-18 11:32:24

Do I detect a despairing tutting sound coming from phoenix? grin

JackyB Thu 19-Apr-18 11:50:36

On my way to work, I cycle through a natural park and hear the cuckoo every year. This year it seemed late, although I don't actually keep a book. I heard the first one the day before yesterday.

By the end of May, though, it gets on your nerves!

grannyactivist Thu 19-Apr-18 12:30:35

Hello Panache. smile
When starting a new thread it's best if you click on 'Forums' (purple heading at the top of the page) and then choose the topic that best fits your post; so 'chat' for instance. This topic - AIBU: Am I Being Unreasonable? - is more suited to people who are venting about difficult situations than delightful poems.
It helps our lovely friend Phoenix (other lovely friends are available) to help keep her knickers unknotted if people post under the correct thread headings and gives us all a clue about the nature of the posting. grin

shysal Thu 19-Apr-18 13:08:06

I think I heard one while still in bed yesterday morning but not sure whether I had dozed off and was dreaming! Every year a cuckoo starts up here at around 4am, most days in May, when I am usually already awake. I love to hear it.

Luckygirl Thu 19-Apr-18 13:28:59

Nothing yet - and we overlook a wood.

Cherrytree59 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:09:32

I think that if a poster has migrated from MN then they are more likely to use the AIBU when starting a new thread.
For some strange reason MN posters often state they are posting on AIBU as it gets more traffic than other site threads.

Panache sadly I have never heard a cuckoo's callsad

SueDonim Thu 19-Apr-18 14:10:45

There's been one round here in recent years but I've not heard it yet this year.

I'm not sure cuckoos are humble - they've a blooming cheek invading someone else's home and offloading their kids onto them! wink

hildajenniJ Thu 19-Apr-18 14:15:21

I haven't heard a cuckoo for years and years. I used to listen for the ones in the woods near my childhood home. At school we learnt a song, it went,

Cuckoo, cuckoo, what do you do.
In April I open my bill,
In May I sing night and day,
In June I change my tune,
In July far far I fly,
In August away I must.
youtu.be/u02zNsFHgdQ

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Apr-18 14:16:46

Personally I think that cuckoos are very unreasonable as they lay their own eggs in another bird's nest, so perhaps AIBU could be the right heading.

Actually, I haven't heard a cuckoo for years, we used to have one near here that returned every April sad.

The cuckoo comes in April
She sings her song in May
In the middle of June she whistles a tune
And July she flies away.

phoenix Thu 19-Apr-18 14:31:42

blush

Panache Thu 19-Apr-18 14:36:43

Oh dear!!! humble apologies for obviously stepping on toes and upsetting certain people by seemingly posting under the wrong heading...........not intentionally I add, and not because I don`t read the other forums........ you will see my various replies in many areas.
I take an avid interest and am more than happy to add new thoughts for us to ponder at will.
Quite frankly at least as a newcomer or not,I am taking an active interest and bringing in lots of new headings, but that seems to go unheeded.
I shall try not to upset Phoenix ........or others further.
Now I feel the chastisement of a little schoolgirl,though thank you Grannyactivist in coming directly to me with the issue, which I can then at least respond too.I appreciate that.

merlotgran Thu 19-Apr-18 15:06:30

FGS, Panache We're joking. You're not stepping on toes OR upsetting people. hmm

grannyactivist Thu 19-Apr-18 15:31:28

Actually Panache it's a bit like seeing a woman with her skirt tucked into her knickers; 'to tell or not to tell?' and I thought it better to mention it sooner rather than later, most especially because you are taking such an active interest. I joined right at the beginning and this is my only forum so I could easily have made similar mistakes when I first started. I'm sure that no-one has taken umbrage, offense or such like and the lovely Phoenix really is lovely and will henceforth sit more comfortably. (Waves hello to Phoenix and suggests she looks at the posts on Sat 14-Apr-18 00:11:28)

cavewoman Thu 19-Apr-18 15:33:24

OH dragged me up to the woods yesterday evening (not by my hair-he's no caveman!) He was excited about being the first to hear this years cuckoo.
As I half suspected, we stood listening to the dulcet tones of a woodpigeon smile

shysal Thu 19-Apr-18 15:36:58

Panache, Phoenix has the best sense of humour ever, so her thread was definitely tongue-in-cheek! smile smile
Personally I rarely notice the topic heading, just read the thread titles on the active list.

Jalima1108 Thu 19-Apr-18 17:25:01

I hope you will stay with GN Panache and thanks for the interesting subject matter.

However, please don't get offended - should I say 'Joke Alert'?
Personally, even if I didn't know phoenix's sense of humour, I would have found that remark very funny.

Untwist your knickers phoenix grin

Panache Fri 20-Apr-18 09:05:48

Jalima and all,I am going nowhere as I am more than happy where I am folks, but in future if I seemingly "step out of line" or say something I should`nt, please feel free to approach me ........but using the proper,and kinder method............a private message.

Being new here perhaps I am extra sensitive, because believe me, no one has a greater sense of humour than I have...... and quite frankly I live in a world of "Live and let live!!"

Today`s another new day,the sun is shining .... so let us enjoy it!!

MawBroon Fri 20-Apr-18 09:09:14

Keep smiling Panache and live up to your username! smile

Grannybags Fri 20-Apr-18 09:57:58

I smiled when I saw the comment from phoenix and took it as tongue in cheek grin

Sadly I haven't heard a cuckoo for years and was jealous when last year my friend said she was fed up with being woken up by cuckoos every morning. Yes it was wood pigeons!

Fennel Fri 20-Apr-18 10:48:07

When in France we seemed to be on one of the migration routes:
www.bto.org/science/migration/tracking-studies/cuckoo-tracking
Amusing that they were given names smile. I think ours was Samson.
Usually we heard one or two in March, but they became more rare.