Gransnet forums

AIBU

The humble cuckoo,”In April come he will,In may he sings all day”.

(42 Posts)
Panache Thu 19-Apr-18 10:31:56

Has anyone heard the distinctive call of the cuckoo yet?

As a child and youngster it was always a treat to be the first to hear that call,we lived in the heart of the countryside and it was an annual visit,making us feel Spring had well and truly arrived with summer virtually “on our doorstep”

We then spent some 25 years living on the coast where sadly, we never once heard that call.
Although now back in the country for some 14 years we still have not had this joy.

Of course it has quite a journey to travel from Africa and due to our inhospitable winter perhaps it is going to be a late arriving this year.

Fennel Fri 20-Apr-18 10:49:18

ps Panache - take no notice of any negative comments.

Fennel Fri 20-Apr-18 10:55:00

Some music to go with the topic:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xHIhcstxUM

cavewoman Fri 20-Apr-18 11:30:56

Thank you Fennel That was beautiful.
Time now for some Spring from Vivaldi.

JackyB Fri 20-Apr-18 11:55:58

I just found a poem I wrote recently, when pondering on the use of the cuckoo and why they leave their kids to be brought up by others. What else do they have to do from July onwards?

What does the cuckoo do all day?
He just sings ad nauseaum through April and May
By the end of June his work is done -
He's not interested whether it's a daughter or son.
He's free for the summer with nothing to lose
Do he and the missus go off on a cruise?

Panache Fri 20-Apr-18 12:54:41

A very uplifting piece of music,thank you Fennel whilst as a lover of poetry, I enjoyed your thoughts on the Cuckoo and its habits JackyB.
I am now smiling picturing the cuckoo and his missus enjoying a cruise!!

Ilovecheese Fri 20-Apr-18 13:13:50

Growing up in the middle of Manchester I don't think I've ever heard a cuckoo either. (or only from a clock!)

grannyactivist Fri 20-Apr-18 13:23:52

Ilovecheese I also grew up in Manchester and listened to the cuckoo in my nana's clock. grin
I remember my sense of wonder when I first moved to the countryside and heard a real cuckoo.

MeMyself Mon 23-Apr-18 23:13:22

Panache, we heard our first one for this year last Tuesday (17th). We live alongside a nature reserve (South Coast) and I think we're one of the first stopping off points when they come across.
OH and I had a bet on for the first one to hear it this year, so I had to buy him a beer at the weekend as he heard it first! Have heard it almost daily since, sometimes very close to home - not seen one yet though, look forward to trying to do that through the summer. smile
We've also seen four swallows in the past week too. That and the sunshine last week convinced me to dust off my sandals, but I had to put my boots back on for work today ... four swallows and one cuckoo do not a summer make, apparently grin.
Hope you get a local cuckoo soon. x

Chewbacca Mon 23-Apr-18 23:55:39

Not heard one at all so far this year and I only heard it once last year too.

rascal Tue 24-Apr-18 00:11:28

I heard the Cuckoo here in Loch Lomond National Park on Saturday. We always listen for it every year. We learned at school many years ago this verse:
The Cuckoo comes in April.
It sings its song in May.
It changes its tune in the middle of June and then it flies away. smile

mrsmopp Tue 24-Apr-18 00:14:12

The cuckoo comes in April
He sings his song in May.
In the middle of June
He changes his tune
And in July he flies away.

Sung in primary school, never heard it since.

mrsmopp Tue 24-Apr-18 00:26:17

Oops sorry rascal have duplicated that song....

Panache Tue 24-Apr-18 09:08:27

Still waiting!!!
The house martins have arrived though and quickly settling back into their former nests and happily going haywire,
nose diving and teasing us as they fly around here in our courtyard.
Mind you it means we shall need to "be on the ball" as they certainly leave their mark underneath their nests!!!

SueDonim Tue 24-Apr-18 13:00:00

No cuckoo here but the bats are back! Or rather, the bats have woken up and are flying around in the evenings. smile

Greyduster Tue 24-Apr-18 13:10:28

The past couple of days the goldfinches have reappeared here. They tend not to come down into the garden much, sit on the tv ariels twittering away. Gorgeous little birds. We were walking in a wooded area of our local park last week and the trees were alive with nuthatches. No cuckoos yet though!

shysal Tue 24-Apr-18 13:15:26

I heard my first cuckoo of the year on Sunday. I was also pleased to see and hear the skylarks.