Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are *they* being unreasonable?

(97 Posts)
Direne3 Thu 03-May-18 10:20:01

Do you think this extreme action was appropriate? metro.co.uk/2018/05/03/lifeboatmen-sacked-mugs-showing-naked-women-safeguarding-risk-7516826/

grannyactivist Thu 03-May-18 18:33:58

A rather different slant on this story here:
Two lifeboat volunteers in Whitby have been suspended after the RNLI launched an investigation into the "production of inappropriate material of a sexual nature".
The charity said there was also "associated social media activity directed at an RNLI staff member".

Eloethan Thu 03-May-18 19:04:41

Which is why I said perhaps there is a bit more to it than meets the eye.

Jalima1108 Thu 03-May-18 20:30:47

hmm Perhaps they should not make such cryptic comments.

Unfortunately, it is those who may be in peril on the sea who will suffer.

Iam64 Thu 03-May-18 21:58:27

I found it hard to believe the men were asked to leave, to stop volunteering, because of the images on their drink mugs. granyactivist's post refers to the 'production of inappropriate material of a sexual nature; ..... 'associated social media activity directed at an RNLI staff member'

chrissyh Fri 04-May-18 10:15:10

I read comments following an article about it and people were saying they were going to or have cancelled their DD to RNLI. If there is more to it than meets the eye they should let people know and judge for themselves, otherwise they could find themselves with reduced funds.

marpau Fri 04-May-18 10:22:39

Where do we sign the petition to reinstate them?

Mapleleaf Fri 04-May-18 10:41:52

I think we need to know the facts before starting petitions.

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-May-18 10:44:36

Why would we do that, though, till we know the facts?

I suppose the charity can’t give out details of an ongoing investigation, and it’s the media that have put this over as a case of “political correctness gone mad”. It may be, may be not, but it’s dreadful that this excellent cause might lose funds through it.

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-May-18 10:45:29

Sorry, Mapleleaf, crossed posts. smile

GabriellaG Fri 04-May-18 10:54:08

THE TRUE STORY
I, like many others, have followed this saga and rang the RNLI complaints number this morning to cancel my subscription.
The truth of the matter is that besides the saga of the mugs, the accused were found to have been sending 'distasteful and unwarranted' messages about a senior staff member, on Whatsapp and other social media.
They are appealing their sacking therefore, in the interests of fairness and legal protection the RNLI cannot disclose the full nature of the claims against them.
That is the real story, not the rabble rousing hype in the DM and red-tops which are causing many to cancel their subscriptions.
Needless to say, I reinstated my subs having had the story so far from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Jalima1108 Fri 04-May-18 11:30:22

I won't stop giving to the RNLI but I wonder if this was dealt with in a very heavy-handed fashion; was it necessary to 'sack' two volunteers thus causing the other four volunteers to walk out in support?

maryeliza54 Fri 04-May-18 11:30:50

www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/news/local-news/2570162/whitby-investigation-much-more-than-saucy-mugs-says-rnli/

Another more reliable account. Why is it that some people don’t engage their brain when first hearing stories like this. I suppose some people just want to start shouting PC gone mad without trying to actually establish the truth or otherwise of the story. The RNLI are not being ‘pious’ they are behaving properly as the men may choose to appeal. Good on them for taking this behaviour seriously - being a hero doesn’t mean you can ignore the appropriate ways to behave

maryeliza54 Fri 04-May-18 11:33:53

But I expect the woman asked for it by a) being a woman b) wearing oilskins that were too revealing c) was a senior member of staff and d)didn’t understand ‘banter’

Meriel Fri 04-May-18 11:35:56

Does anyone know how I can sign the petition?

Telly Fri 04-May-18 11:44:47

Times have changed and it is time that some of the older generation changed too. These are inappropriate and I have to say offensive to some women. Whether the action was right or not there are lots of issues here and it must be taken seriously.

maryeliza54 Fri 04-May-18 11:49:32

And it’s not just the mugs ffs or are the RNLI lying? Or maybe it’s the DM et al - I wonder which. Tough call

grannyactivist Fri 04-May-18 11:53:52

I have a relative who works in a mainly male environment and says that part of the problem in recruiting females is exactly this sort of thing. He also says that he is made uncomfortable by workplace 'banter' about women and along with a few other men he challenges it and then they also become targets for insulting sexual comments and innuendo. He thinks there are a majority of men who want it to stop, but there are only a few who will actually say so.

Iam64 Fri 04-May-18 12:18:42

Well said maryeliza and grannyactivist.

maryeliza54 Fri 04-May-18 12:19:04

Meriel I wonder if you can explain exactly why you are signing the petition?
ga let’s hope the robust ( not heavy handed pious) response of the RNLI gives courage to those decent men and sends a message to the rest.

Saggi Fri 04-May-18 12:21:42

Dear me ...men will always ogle naked women...that’s never gonna change . This stupid incident is just a bit of silliness that can be easily rectified. Throw the mugs ... keep these brave men!

maryeliza54 Fri 04-May-18 12:22:27

i don’t give to the RNLI but am now going to send a sizeable donation to make up a bit for those fuckwits who are stopping their donations

maryeliza54 Fri 04-May-18 12:24:35

Saggi I know you will say you have every right to your opinion but you have not read the full story and so anything you post is simply not worth it. What your objection to facts?

Iam64 Fri 04-May-18 12:31:05

Saggi, we don't know the full story. The RNLI have said the way the press portrayed it as being about naked women on drinks mugs is not the full story. We can't be told the full story in fairness to the men concerned, should they wish to challenge the decision they should leave.

I find it hard to believe that some women see it as 'normal' and acceptable for men to have this kind of mug in their workplace. It's offensive, demeaning and sets a tone so far as relationships in that workplace are established. IE the men are entitled to say and do things that the vast majority of women (and men) find offensive.
We're beyond the point where racist comments on coffee mugs would be seen as acceptable. It isn't "pc gone mad' to have similar expectations. Men can "ogle naked women" if they choose to but not on calendars/mugs in their workplace. As grannyactivist says, there's a deal of evidence that women can be put of joining workplaces which are male dominated. That used to include the Police, much less so now but it still includes many other uniformed services. I'm pleased the RNLI is taking a measured and appropriate response to this situation.

Eglantine21 Fri 04-May-18 12:31:22

In regard to facts Maryeliza, did the men actually say she wore oilskins that were to revealing and then objected to banter, or did you make that up? ??‍♀️

maryeliza54 Fri 04-May-18 12:37:26

Eglantine is that supposed to be a joke?