Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gerrmaine Greer’s dire opinions on the forthcoming Royal wedding

(98 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 04-May-18 12:09:45

Did anyone else listen to the ridiculous opinions of Germaine Greer , (a woman I have previously admired.)on This Morning,
She Believes Meghan Merkle, will run for the hills after 5 yrs, that she has already made fashion faux pas, (really?)will never fit in or her family be accepted etc etc. I believed we were all past this personal criticism offensive rubbish. Why on earth does she think we would heed or need a sad old lady’s opinion & her excuse to have a bash at an inoffensive couple who should be allowed to get on with their lives just like everyone else, sounds like sour grapes to me! Gave her some air time I suppose !

Nana49 Sun 06-May-18 16:44:55

I don't think its unreasonable for someone to have an opinion & express it, Germaine Greer has always struck me as interesting & not afraid to voice what might be seen as a controversial viewpoint. I have to say I like people who do this. The world is too full of bland individuals who agree for the sake of it. I like her.

grannygranby Sun 06-May-18 19:01:30

I greatly value Germaine Greer; haven’t read the article; care very little about royal couplings.

SylviaPlathssister Sun 06-May-18 19:04:57

If I think about Meghan and Harry at all it is to hope that she really loves him and their marriage survives.
I do hope it isn’t revealed,
years later, as it did with the deceitful Wallis Simpson, that Meghan was just after the money and title. She was a fairly despicable person.

Obviously after the honeymoon period is over, living with someone who comes from an entirely different background to you, is going to be inordinately stressful. They both also come from dysfunctional families so their future statistically looks a bit bleak.

Personally I am not a fan of anyone receiving reverence because of the nature of their birth, anyway. It’s just not a right or just system.
Many modern countries survive quite well without Royalty. I think we should become a republic, but I don’t actually wish Megan and Harry harm.

JenniferEccles Thu 10-May-18 18:03:43

Well Germaine Greer was presumably invited on the programme to give her opinion on the forthcoming wedding, and that's what she did. Good for her!

Would you have preferred her to be a hypocrite and waffle on about how wonderful it all is, what a lovely couple they are etc etc if that is not what she thinks?

I also happen to have grave doubts about Ms.Markle. All the time she is having fun with Harry sorting out all the world's problems she will be fine, but the minute it all becomes a bit too tedious she will be off.

varian Thu 10-May-18 18:25:39

I've never been impressed by Germaine Greer. Her very successful book "The Female Eunuch" was published in 1970, long after I'd been married. I never felt restricted or oppressed, I'd always worked in a male-dominated environment without any problems, so I can't say it changed my life but I do know that it did make a big impression on some younger women.

Since then she has always seemed to me to be a rather a sad, bitter person, someone who had once been famous, had never had much personal fulfillment and just kept trading on that early success.

No matter what we might think about Prince Harry and his lovely young(?) bride (I wish them every happiness), it does not become Germaine Greer to take potshots at them.

Bridgeit Thu 10-May-18 19:44:27

No, I wouldn’t prefer her to be anything other than silent on this occasion.

Jalima1108 Thu 10-May-18 19:55:20

If they want to be treated like "everyone else" maybe they should try "everyone else's" lives !1
But what is everyone else's lives?

What is the definition?
Our lives are all different - vastly different.

Jalima1108 Thu 10-May-18 19:58:28

Will someone hold up the "applaud" card as they walk down the aisle?
It seems to be the latest thing Elegran

'You may now kiss the bride' is cue for applause apparently
However, I can't see the Royals clapping enthusiastically grin

MargaretX Thu 10-May-18 20:02:29

I read Germaine Greer's book om the menopause 'The Change' I enjoyed every minute of it and it influenced me regarding women in a men's world.
She said she thought if a wife had had sex for 30 years with an indifferent husband she should be able to say enough is enough and not have to put up with his paunch and beer smelling breath any more. Nor does there have to be a pill
to make her feel more inclined.

She also said a lot of other things and I realised for the first time how it is essentially a men's world we have to fit in to.

As to Megahn and Harry good luck to them. She has been married so she can lead the way and he can learn from her He seems to be an active person, polite and affectionate but has played the role of poor little lost boy too often. After all many children who have lost their mothers, aren't still going on about it in their thirties.

Glad to hear Ms Greer is still not afraid to voice her opinions. She may be right about the young couple. Time will tell.

Jalima1108 Thu 10-May-18 20:03:14

^ It would be perfectly possible to criticise her comments without the use of sad and old.^
she is gettingonabit though
as are many of us

How about old and grumpy? Wasn't Germaine Greer one of the original Grumpy Old Women? And she would probably laugh at the description.

Anniebach Thu 10-May-18 20:15:10

She still gives lectures, writes, has that rainforest in Australia, she has a very fulfilled life . Just what is sad about that? Calling her a sad old woman is unfair and far worse than anything she said about a Windsor and an ex actress

luluaugust Thu 10-May-18 21:09:33

This will be Miss Markles biggest starring roll and I just hope she can play it, it must be like landing on a different planet, all the curtseying would do for me. Miss Greer is entitled to her opinion and after all three out of four of the Queen's children have divorced. Lets wait and see I reckon we will soon be able to tell specially us grans.

Bridgeit Thu 10-May-18 21:19:53

Did no one notice my comment ‘ a woman I have always admired GG, I have also attended one of her talks which was brilliant
On this occasion when I listened to what she said I found her to be particularly vitriolic, with little substance other than very personal derogatory remarks about someone who’s only fault it seems is to have & want a life of their choice.

Bridgeit Thu 10-May-18 21:44:21

Which I thought made her sound like a sad old woman who was replacing, wit, humour & Intelligence with a sad personal &particularly nasty pop at young woman who has done nothing to deserve it.

Bridgeit Thu 10-May-18 21:52:29

Perhaps you would think the same as me if it had been one of our daughters that she was slagging off.

Iam64 Fri 11-May-18 18:28:23

Of course Germaine is entitled to her opinion and we're entitled to either agree with her negative, cold and critical views or not. I don't. I'm with Bridgeit, what on earth has MM done to deserve the level of personal criticism and acrimony levelled at her.
As for suggesting that marrying H will be her biggest starring role, I despair. I wish them well, I hope it works. How many of us, or our children have fallen head over heels or been romanced into believing this was a life long love only to be sadly disillusioned. I too am Spartacus. - so is GG I suspect her private life hasn't been without disappointment.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-May-18 18:40:04

Everyone is entitled to an opinion; however, some opinions reach a much wider audience even than ours on GN!

Wait and see is my motto smile

varian Fri 11-May-18 19:06:30

I'm so sorry that I have a full programme of social events fixed for next weekend so had to decline my invitation to the royal wedding but I wish the happy couple a long and wonderful marriage and I'm sure I will be able to catch a bit of the wedding on catchup tv.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-May-18 19:29:18

It's a pity, but we have had to decline too, just when I had retrieved my hat worn once for DD's wedding from the top of the wardrobe.
sad

MissAdventure Fri 11-May-18 19:49:17

I doubt anyone, including Germaine, can predict how long anyone's marriage will last.
Nobody knows, even those in the marriage.

Jalima1108 Fri 11-May-18 19:59:27

I have been to lovely weddings where the marriage only lasted six months (more than one) and everyone said that DH and I would never last.
After six months I felt the same but I'm still here after 50 years.

varian Fri 11-May-18 20:09:11

I also know couples who have been together for many years without the fancy wedding

Mapleleaf Sat 12-May-18 23:13:09

Let's give the couple a chance, shall we?

maundymoney Sun 13-May-18 00:49:29

Take no notice of Germaine Greer!

Anniebach Sun 13-May-18 08:54:46

GG airing her views is condemned , good grief some views on the tbread about not eating healthy are vicious.