Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gerrmaine Greer’s dire opinions on the forthcoming Royal wedding

(98 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 04-May-18 12:09:45

Did anyone else listen to the ridiculous opinions of Germaine Greer , (a woman I have previously admired.)on This Morning,
She Believes Meghan Merkle, will run for the hills after 5 yrs, that she has already made fashion faux pas, (really?)will never fit in or her family be accepted etc etc. I believed we were all past this personal criticism offensive rubbish. Why on earth does she think we would heed or need a sad old lady’s opinion & her excuse to have a bash at an inoffensive couple who should be allowed to get on with their lives just like everyone else, sounds like sour grapes to me! Gave her some air time I suppose !

henetha Sun 13-May-18 10:42:27

I like GG and respect her opinions. I just don't happen to agree with her on this occasion. I'm a firm Monarchist and will remain so. The young royals are doing their best I think to tailor the monarchy into a role more suited to life in this country today. It does need slimming down.
I wish Harry and Meghan all the very best. I must admit there is just a slight niggle at the back of my mind as to whether Meghan can settle down long term. So maybe I do partly agree with GG after all! But I object to the way she puts it, and her personal attacks on Meghan. GG is no fashion queen herself.

Anniebach Sun 13-May-18 11:11:26

It is not the young Windsors who are doing the slimming down and I don’t think doing less work than the previous generation is more suited to the life in this country today

Luckylegs9 Sun 13-May-18 12:30:51

Until last 10 years had to time for Germaine, I do find now I think she talks a lot of sense, she has moved on a lot from the ferocious young woman and she herself doesn't agree that everything she said back in the day. I agree largely with what she us saying, I think Harry is smashing and is obviously in love with Megan, I always just see her acting when I look at her, but hope she is committed to this wedding and not the kudos surrounding it.

lemongrove Sun 13-May-18 12:39:10

Jalima grin wait and see is an excellent motto and can be applied to all sorts of situations before people start the shrieking and wailing, including most political decisions.

lemongrove Sun 13-May-18 12:42:08

Having never seen MM in any acting role, I just see her as a woman who appears to be very happy with her choice of marrying Harry, and even if she finds life within the Royal family restricting as the years go on, I think having been an actress will no doubt come in handy when in public.

Jalima1108 Sun 13-May-18 15:14:24

I am waiting to see if I get a last-minute invitation Lemongrove - hat is still in its box but the outfit could be a bit tight now and as for the shoes with 4" heels - no, no.

OldMeg Sun 13-May-18 15:28:19

Couldn’t care less for GG’s opinions, it’s not as if I know her or she impinges on my life in any way. Sometimes though I do wish people with big mouths would just shut up and live and let live.

henetha Sun 13-May-18 16:02:50

Hear Hear, OldMeg to your second sentence.

MargaretX Sun 13-May-18 16:16:08

I agree with Varian. If they had decided to marry quietly
I would feel more hopeful for them.

I had a quiet wedding and never celebrate the day no do I know sometimes how many years only that am happily married.
She may have preferred it but had no choice.

lemongrove Sun 13-May-18 17:14:02

Turn the invitation down ( if it arrives) Jalima the traffic situation will be terrible and it’s bound to rain. grin

lemongrove Sun 13-May-18 17:14:37

I shall be on holiday that day ( thankfully.)

Bridgeit Mon 14-May-18 09:21:06

If they had gone for a private wedding they would have been criticised for that too.Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. We are a very fickle public,good luck to them I say. I wouldn’t want to swap places with them for all the taffeta in the world.

MaudLillian Fri 18-May-18 09:29:07

The last royal wedding I was interested in was Charles and Diana's. When she died I lost interest in the monarchy, especially given the Camilla situation. I've always hated their participation in bloodsports too - that's a bad example to set to the country. But I don't wish anyone ill and hope this marriage lasts. It's good that royals are now able to have more of a say in who they marry - it's a very different institution than it was when Edward had to abdicate because of wanting to marry Wallis Simpson. I'm so glad we don't have a Head of State like Donald Trump.

notanan2 Fri 18-May-18 12:52:59

If you think back to Dianas death, the RF were HEAVILY criticised for initially dealing with it privately. The public wanted a slice of the grieving boys.

Later there was a RF hospitalisation (cant remember whose) and the RF were SLATED for being "cold" and not visiting (despite their policy of one visitor to represent the family to reduce disruption to the hospital & other patients being very thoughtful & sensible)

After that the RF were pushed to be more public with their emotions. More Dianaish (yuck!). As there was back then a HUGE backlash against them for their stiff upper lip.

This may have influenced H&M into having a pig gushy public do!

notanan2 Fri 18-May-18 12:53:42

big not pig!

Anniebach Fri 18-May-18 12:58:52

I think they want this gushy public do. Their engagement interview was so gushy, yuck . Why the need to want ‘share all’ with the world . What is wrong with dignity

notanan2 Fri 18-May-18 13:08:23

As per my above post Annie

There was a lot of anti RF feeling fuelled by Diana which came to a head when she died.

The RF were pretty much told to be more relatable and less stoic or lose public support forever.

The boys were pushed to the front as there were near riots when the family tried to give them some private space to let the news sink it.

So it's conditioned into Harry that he is supposed to share his feelings with the public!

notanan2 Fri 18-May-18 13:17:42

Re the OP, I like GG because her style of speaking is a style that is accepted from men but not women (eg Stephen fry says some shocking things about underage & consent but nobody tells him to never speak again) and she is told to shut up because she isnt behaving like a woman should, and she doesnt shut up!

There are lots of men in the public eye who say things to shock or who play devils advocate or tell uncomfortable truths in an unapologetic way, and nobody questions their place in the public eye for it.

women who do are villanised or pushed aside & she stands her ground so good for her!

Saying something I might disagree with isnt a reason to want her silenced IMO.

There is a new wave of feminism thats hopping on bandwagons without using any critical thought, and we need the older feminists point of view for some balance

Bridgeit Fri 18-May-18 13:34:37

Two wrongs don’t make a right, GG certainly wasn’t respecting a woman who had decided to marry the man of her choice, so in fact her comments were belittling the very thing she purports to support. Not much solidarity forthcoming, just a lot of offensive sour ?

Daddima Fri 18-May-18 13:51:25

I find it hard to believe that Meghan fully understands just how restricted her life will become, and how many royal protocols she’ll have to observe.
I also fear that maybe in a few years some film maker will think that the Duchess of Wherever would be a great box office draw, and offers her the rôle of a lifetime, which she’ll want to take.
That said, I do wish them well.

Anniebach Fri 18-May-18 14:06:14

I think she knows exactly what she is doing and he has found a mother substitute

Bridgeit Fri 18-May-18 14:18:32

Did any of us know, I certainly didn’t, hindsight is a wonderful thing , that’s why we all believe we know best (????)