Gransnet forums

AIBU

Funeral worries.

(32 Posts)
stella1949 Fri 11-May-18 00:17:38

At least the lady was in the older age group. The last one I went to was for my son's friend, age 30, who'd committed suicide. Sometimes words just don't come because you are so choked up yourself , but it's good to go and to "be there" for the family.

I'm sure there will be lots of people there, and yours will be one of many condolences given. Just say you're so sorry, and that you're there for them at this time. Nothing you say will sound awkward to them , I promise you. They'll just be glad to see you there.

WildRoses Thu 10-May-18 22:08:51

Thank you everyone. I'm filling up just thinking about how difficult it's going to be for them all tomorrow. I'm going to work straight afterwards tomorrow as well so I'm definitely not looking forward to that.

Deedaa Thu 10-May-18 21:33:05

Just be there and don't worry about saying much. The worst funeral I ever went to was the 14 year old daughter of a friend. Everybody was completely beyond speech but we were all glad to be there to offer support.

Nanabilly Thu 10-May-18 21:31:54

I agree with what's already been said that just being there will be enough for them . Just give them a hug and say something along the lines of "I'm here if you need me" but only if you mean it of course. Add your sympathies too and that will be enough for now then you can always give them some of your time at a later date by taking a bit of baking around and staying for a chat but be prepared to talk about the deceased lady as it will bring them some comfort.
Funerals are always tough aren't they?

granfromafar Thu 10-May-18 21:11:34

Agree with janeainsworth in that just attending the funeral is giving great support. A hug to your boss and his wife can often be better than saying anything. It will take time for your boss/friend to accept the loss so just be there for the family and give a shoulder to cry on. Never an easy day for family and friends but you and they will get through it.

janeainsworth Thu 10-May-18 20:32:35

Your presence will give comfort to the family, wildroses.
You don’t have to say anything more than how sorry you are, and what a lovely lady she was, and acknowledge how hard it is for them all.

WildRoses Thu 10-May-18 20:24:51

I'm going to a funeral tomorrow and I am absolutely dreading it. I know there is no such thing as an easy funeral but this one is going to be so tough. It's for the mother of my boss. My boss and his family are really close friends of my husband and I. His mother was an absolutely lovely, genuine lady who always made such a fuss of me when she saw me and needless to say the family is devasted, but my friend/boss has just absolutely gone to pieces as he was incredibly close to his mum. I just have no idea what to say to my friend or his family. I feel so awkward at funerals anyway and feel no matter what I say it's just going to sound forced or stupid. I know nothing I say is going to ease the pain of the family. Please give me some advice.