Gransnet forums

AIBU

Meghan's father and photographer in photo scam

(341 Posts)
JenniferEccles Mon 14-May-18 12:15:03

I think this is completely ironic.

The Royal family had asked the press to respect the Markle family's privacy, but now it appears Mr. Markle has been involved in staging some photographic scoops of his own, despite being described as a 'recluse'

The Mail on Sunday exposed the story yesterday.

Apparently the photographer and Markle set up some exclusive shoots which were then sold to press agencies around the world.

It quickly became apparent though that the pictures were 'too perfect' and obviously staged, but not before the photographer involved had received a considerable amount of money. The paper has said it is not known if Mr. Markle received any payment, but if not, why on earth would he participate in such a thing?

The Royal family must be cringing.

Anniebach Mon 14-May-18 22:20:09

We will never know the truth, perhaps he decided not to attend because his entire family has been snubbed , perhaps he is too nervous,

Day6 Tue 15-May-18 00:37:34

Yes, for an ordinary family to be flung into the Royal pomp and ceremony, and be watched by the world would be daunting and quite scary. We are more aware of how the stuffy royals behave (or have to behave) than the Markles. It would seem since the engagement Mr Markle has hidden away from the world and values his privacy - unlike some members of his family. He may have been dreading all that public exposure. I don't think he and Meghan were particularly close or saw much of each other in recent years, from the reports I've read.

He may have bottled it. Can't say I blame him.

I get the feeling Meghan's mother is seen as the respectable face of the family. Will she be walking her daughter up the aisle.

loopyloo Tue 15-May-18 07:34:55

Perhaps her partner from 'Suits......

maryeliza54 Tue 15-May-18 08:02:49

I don’t think it’s fair to imply he’s not ‘respectable’. He had a career, he won at least one award - he’s behaved impeccably until this latest issue which I can believe he was manipulated into. I feel sorry for him and Harry should be ashamed of himself for not ensuring he met him and built up a relationship with him - and MM should have ensured that as well. There’s no suggestion he was a bad father - they should both be ashamed of themselves as should the RF and their legions of flunkies and advisers.

MawBroon Tue 15-May-18 08:29:31

The media do like skeletons in the cupboard don’t they?
What about Kate’s dodgy Uncle Gary? (He of the Villa Bang Bang grin )
Is anybody faintly interested in photographs of Thomas Markle anyway?

Luckygirl Tue 15-May-18 08:30:56

What a non-story this really is. Let us cut this guy some slack.

Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 08:39:38

Why on earth should the Windsors be ashamed,

Greyduster Tue 15-May-18 08:50:09

I feel for Thomas Markle - I would flee to the Amazon Basin where no-one could find me until it was all over. Michael Middleton looked terrified when he was walking Kate up the aisle - to Parry, as well! Who could blame him! No no no!

Iam64 Tue 15-May-18 09:00:04

The Windsors shouldn't be ashamed in relation to MM's father. I'm beginning to feel most of her extended family ought to feel shame for their attention seeking behaviour.

According to the news this morning, the unpleasant half sister who has done endless interviews suggesting Meghan is selfish etc "advised" her father to do the photoshoot. She says he agreed to do it, naively believing it would make him look less shambolic than he had in the informal paparazzi shots. Some distant cousins and nephews arrived at Heathrow yesterday, no doubt planning to do endless tv interviews saying how sad they are to have been excluded from the wedding. Yuk and yuk again.
Having said all this, Luckygirl is right, it's a non story. I'm adding fuel by posting smile

Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 09:05:18

Could be they feel hurt that they were not invited

Oldwoman70 Tue 15-May-18 09:23:39

According to reports, Mr. Markle lives a reclusive life. He has had to put up with people taking pictures of him whilst out and about, perhaps he felt that if he co-operated with one photographer with a couple of staged photos, the others would leave him alone. Of course he was wrong and things have only got worse for him. He hasn't had a lifetime of training to deal with the press so why not cut him some slack. Unless of course this is just an excuse to have another go at Meghan, Harry and the rest of the RF

Oldwoman70 Tue 15-May-18 09:26:23

Anniebach Didn't we all have to decide that some people couldn't be invited to our wedding? Why would you invite someone who you haven't seen or spoken to for years - no matter what the relationship.

I wonder if she was marrying Harry the mechanic from the local garage whether they would all be so upset about not getting an invite

gillybob Tue 15-May-18 09:28:55

By not attending maybe he’s had a lucky escape from meeting this bunch of weirdos. A shame no one from the royals (Harry in particular) thought him worthy of a face to face meeting before hand.

eazybee Tue 15-May-18 09:58:07

He has also publicly humiliated his daughter four days before her wedding.

Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 10:04:47

Oldwoman, I don’t know anyone who has never invited their entire family, unless a couple pop into a registry office with a couple of witnesses . If Megan hasn’t spoken to her entire family for years why expect her father to attend the wedding .

I don’t understand why the Markles and the Windsors are condemned and sympathy heaped onto a couple who are worldly thirty somethings

JenniferEccles Tue 15-May-18 10:21:37

Is he, isn't he? Will he, won't he?
Well as of today, he isn't coming.

Now, did he fall or was he pushed? My guess he was gently, politely, advised that it probably wouldn't be a good idea for him to come.

After all, the man is a liability, a loose cannon who has proved that he can't be trusted..

He has been in cahoots with the paparazzi once, so what's to say he wouldn't pull another similar stunt at the wedding? I'm sure the Palace felt they couldn't take the risk.

Meghan must be mortified at his behaviour.

Oldwoman70 Tue 15-May-18 10:22:41

Anniebach We had to decide not to invite some people to our wedding, simply because everyone would not fit in the church or the reception venue and I know plenty of people who had the same problem. Those left off were people we hadn't seen for some time and who we only exchanged Christmas cards with - and there was no bad feeling.

I haven't heard that Meghan hasn't spoken to her father in years, although I have read that she hasn't spoken to several of her extended family - why would they expect an invite?

Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 10:29:22

Oldwoman, did you leave out uncles, aunts, brother ,sister, cousins , an entire family, no room in St.George’s Chapel?

trisher Tue 15-May-18 10:35:35

Oh now I want him to fly in and scream as she walks down the aisle "You can't marry him. I'm your daddy!" This really is worse than the worst soap story lines.

Oldwoman70 Tue 15-May-18 10:37:21

I would have if I hadn't seen or spoken to them for years!

Several of DH's uncles were not invited (they also lived in another country) also several of my cousins who I hadn't seen since school days. As I said there was no ill feeling and they all sent congratulatory telegrams.

Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 10:47:57

Well it’s her family, her wedding , her choice

JenniferEccles Tue 15-May-18 10:48:30

trisher Yes, and then the Queen would stand up, put on her best Barbara Windsor voice and say "Get out of my castle!" grin

Anniebach Tue 15-May-18 10:48:50

We can but hope the ex husband doesn’t start talking

Fairydoll2030 Tue 15-May-18 11:10:10

Thomas Markle must be incredibly naive if he thought
his little photo stunt wouldn’t be rumbled.

Whatever you might think of the Royal family, he has very publicly embarrassed his daughter. She must be mortified.

muffinthemoo Tue 15-May-18 11:19:24

There’s a nasty tone to some of the media coverage about Meghan.

I think it was beneath the dignity of a national newspaper to stir up drama the week before a royal wedding but what do I know sad

I hope they have a nice day anyway