Gransnet forums

AIBU

Trump Strong, May Weak?

(105 Posts)
Bridgeit Sat 26-May-18 09:50:15

Given that Theresa May is considered by many to be weak, & Donald Trump is considered to be strong, who would you trust to conduct negotiations in difficult & potentially dangerous circumstances.?

varian Mon 16-Jul-18 16:09:37

A tweet from Laura Kuenssberg

"Even more messy - now told some Tory MPs will vote against the govt tonight because they are so cross that ministers have given into the ERG"

varian Mon 16-Jul-18 16:04:03

Today we learn that TM has accepted the four hard Brexit amendments to her Chequers deal put forward by the so-called European Research Group, a taxpayer funded party within the Conservative Party who seem totally unaccountable, but are able to give the Prime Minister orders that she dare not ignore.

"Jacob Rees Mogg set up the European Research Group in July 1993 towards the end of the Maastricht furore. It comprised Conservative Members of Parliament who were concerned about the direction being taken by the European Union towards becoming a federal state.

The Group was formed on the presumption that the most effective way of at least modifying this process was by working internally within the Conservative Party rather than, for instance, setting up a rival party such as Ukip. We hired my Research Assistant, Daniel Hannan - now MEP - as our co-ordinator/researcher. "

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/01/25/move-ukip-jacob-rees-mogg-erg-now-real-brexit-watchdogs/

FlexibleFriend Sun 15-Jul-18 21:39:52

Oh and Teresa May won't with her husband helping anyone who is rich enough to avoid paying their taxes. I have no problem with people making money in an honest and legal manner.
It's always been cake and eat it for the select few whichever side you're on.

varian Sun 15-Jul-18 20:55:51

JRM belongs to that tiny minority of ultra rich people who might personally benefit from brexit. He has recently opened an office in Dublin to take advantage of continuing EU membership. Cake and eat it for the select few.

FlexibleFriend Sun 15-Jul-18 20:49:26

I'm a conservative voter but not a fan of Teresa May nor of Donald Trump but at least unlike her he is doing what he says he will. She just repeats stupid slogans such as Brexit means Brexit over and over but no one has a clue what she's talking about. I think he's right to pull Europe up over their defence spending, they should be spending more.
I know JRM is a bit of an oddball but I've no problem with that. Watch him on the likes of question time and he is at pains to explain things in a way everyone can understand. He doesn't shout or get hyper active he's calm and clear and sticks to the point. I think he'd make a great pm which is why others keep mocking him. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up and takes the leadership. He's a serious contender.

varian Sun 15-Jul-18 19:34:33

To get to the dark heart of Brexit, ask who benefits? The tiny cabal who might conceivably prosper from Brexit tell you exactly why we must continue to resist it.

www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/brexit-is-about-the-rich-rees-moggs-of-britain-not-anyone-else-1-4896702

It is not true that all those who support brexit are idiots. If you are one of the tiny group of the ultra-rich who have no social conscience and do not give a fig for the rest of your countrymen, but are only interested in accumulating more personal wealth, then you are not idiotic if you support brexit.

varian Sun 15-Jul-18 17:59:13

The backroom people have their limitations. They will never be able to undo the appalling effects of brexit.

Blinko Sat 14-Jul-18 08:12:43

I see what you mean, SJP. Let's hope the backroom people are expert bridge builders! smile

SJP Sat 14-Jul-18 07:06:26

Sorry not clear in my post, the pomp and pandering is the front, the oiling of the wheels is going on in the background by civil servants and diplomats

Blinko Sat 14-Jul-18 07:01:29

SJP, whilst I concur with the gist of your remarks, I would just observe that Trump's visit so far has been very far from oiling the wheels of international relationships. Apart from a large swathe of the US it seems, the rest of us look on with increasing disbelief that this man could possibly be the elected representative of a once great country.

SJP Sat 14-Jul-18 06:57:06

Trump is a joke - a very dangerous joke. Making America great again - making America looking very stupid as many of us can't take him seriously. This visit is pampering to his huge ego whilst oiling the wheels of international relationships. Teresa May has a poison chalice to deal with in Brexit and whatever the outcome she will be deemed wrong. She seems a decent hard working person surrounded by Conservative chinless wonders sharpening their knives waiting for her to fail but lacks charisma. Boris is buffoon out for his own purposes. For Trump to come here and say what he did in the Sun interview, is discourteous to our PM. I would love to know what Her Majesty made of him.

Jalima1108 Fri 13-Jul-18 20:05:48

Perhaps Melania was very nervous indeed! And trying not to put a foot wrong.

varian Fri 13-Jul-18 19:28:24

Well done, your Majesty. In all the long years of you reign, you have been expected to meet, smile, shakes hands with some of the most dreadful people in the world and you have carried it off with great aplomb.

Fennel Fri 13-Jul-18 19:18:18

As you say,*Jalima*, she wasn't fazed at all.
He and Melania looked rather stiff and unnatural, the Queen relaxed and gave a few of her lovely smiles.

NanTheWiser Fri 13-Jul-18 17:49:41

...and he can't spell - 'nuff said...

Jalima1108 Fri 13-Jul-18 17:21:26

Yes, I heard that TM gave him 'a helping hand' because he felt uncertain on the steps.

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 17:11:49

Benefit.

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 17:11:30

I had heard that any hand holding was entirely for his own benfit as he doesn’t like steps.Make of that what you will.grin

Jalima1108 Fri 13-Jul-18 17:04:31

I am sure that HM has had experience of dealing with all sorts in her 66 years as Head of State.
I think she will deal with him pleasantly and efficiently and will not let her true feelings show.

Pity!!

mostlyharmless Fri 13-Jul-18 15:10:49

I hope Trump doesn’t try holding the Queen’s hand this afternoon as he repeatedly does with May.

mostlyharmless Fri 13-Jul-18 14:47:35

www.thesun.co.uk/news/6766531/trump-may-brexit-us-deal-off/

BlueBelle Fri 13-Jul-18 14:38:23

Sorry mostlyharmless your post didn’t show up until I had posted

BlueBelle Fri 13-Jul-18 14:37:31

The idiot is now saying The Suns report was all fake news and whatever TM does with Brexit is up to her
He diesnt kniw
how to keep his mouth shut or at least engage his brain before he opens it
What a total xxxx

mostlyharmless Fri 13-Jul-18 14:36:23

Trump now claims this afternoon at Chequers press conference that his condemnation of May’s Brexit strategy as reported in The Sun was fake news.
Oh dear, the live recording of that interview is available online and that proves it’s the President who is lying!
Very embarrassing! Perhaps you can’t embarrass Trump.

PernillaVanilla Fri 13-Jul-18 14:32:23

Making America great again? Healthcare problems, misogeny, lies, terrible treatment of the children of the immigrants, pussy grabbing ...and more... A trade deal with the US will result in us having to import the foul chlorine treated chicken and other meat from intensive farms, plus GM crops. He supported the banned right wing group by re-tweeting its posts. The man is a disgusting apology for a human being.