Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to not like my name being shortened?

(110 Posts)
Sazz1006 Mon 04-Jun-18 22:23:49

Ok, so my name is Sally and I’m over 60. AIBU to expect people who I barely know to call me by my full, two syllable name! Apart from my brother and a couple of friends I’ve known since I was 11, no one calls me Sal, not even my DH. Recently a couple of people I have only just met constantly call me Sal and I don’t like it! I would never shorten someone’s name unless they invited me to. What do other people think?

Fennel Fri 08-Jun-18 18:32:28

I used to use my first name on here but changed it (for security). It's a name which can be shortened or changed in a several ways. It doesn't bother me.
As is Elizabeth our eldest daughter. My Mum was Elizabeth and Dad called her Betty.

varian Fri 08-Jun-18 20:13:53

I have never responded to my long name since I was in my early teens. I met my OH when I was fourteen and he has always known me by my short name.

Ailie Sun 10-Jun-18 16:04:50

It's just good manners to ask permission first. I have an abbreviated name that my family & true friends know & use which is different from the most obvious simple abbreviation. When someone abbreviates me with the simple but wrong abbreviation they're not becoming more familiar they just haven't thought it worth taking the time to really communicate with me so.... I'm kind of glad they remain ignorant of my abbreviation.... that's for my real friends.

MamaCaz Sun 10-Jun-18 20:29:32

I answer to several names, and not all of them are even versions of my 'proper' name -
my grandma often used to accidently call me by my aunt's name, as does my mum nowadays, and occasionally, for some strange reason, people who had never known or heard of my aunt have accidentally called me that same name!
My full name was always used by my teachers in school. My parents used a shorter version most of the time. In secondary school, some classmates adopted an even shorter version of my name. When I met DH, he used a different version of my name which I preferred to my proper one, and that is the one anyone I have met since then knows me as.

Admittedly, this has caused some confusion in recent years, since the advent of email, because one default email address was in my proper name, prompting a lot of people to ask if they had always been calling me the wrong name. (In fact, it turns out that even my older brother wasn't sure what my name was!!!)

I honestly don't mind which version of my name people call me. Unless it is a cold caller who can't even get my perfectly straightforward surname right, that is. They are told in no uncertain terms that there is no one of that name in the household!

DeeWBW Mon 11-Jun-18 15:43:31

I always feel that if someone shortens a name, it is extremely friendly, as the vibes they have from you almost say that it is okay to do so.

That's good, isn't it?

Blondiescot Wed 13-Jun-18 12:59:01

I have the opposite problem - I'm a Jill, not a Gill and most definitely NOT a Jillian!

Bluegal Fri 15-Jun-18 21:04:08

I have quite a long name which I shortened myself and people now shorten it even further! I actually quite like it. I feel they are being even more friendly lol. Each to their own though and IF it annoyed me I would be the first to say

Elrel Fri 15-Jun-18 21:23:56

A Dutch acquaintance was named Bob and was irritated by both British and American people addressed envelopes to Robert.

Marmight Fri 15-Jun-18 22:14:33

I'm a Sally too but it isn't my birth name. My 2nd name is Sara (my first I hate so much it is only used on formal documents). Apparently Sally is a derivative of Sara/Sarah so as a baby I suddenly, for no apparent reason, became Sally. How ridiculous is that? Apart from this strange decision my parents were actually quite normal intelligent human beings ?. I much prefer Sara but to formalise it would be too much of a hassle. I've rarely been referred to as Sal. The one exception is an Australian friend who drawls it 'Saaal' with a wink which I find rather endearing. Anyone else would get
'The Look'.
Sazz. If you don't like it just tell 'em wink