Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to live in hope that even controversial threads can avoid personal abuse?

(107 Posts)
Ilovecheese Fri 15-Jun-18 20:09:15

I feel like you Bluegal, people do disagree strongly, but I don't think I have actually seen any personal abuse.

Bluegal Fri 15-Jun-18 20:04:33

I am relatively new to Gransnet but have never seen any personal abuse comments or at least I don't think I have.
But like all forums, people are people and some will love to be argumentative - just for the heck of it!

Lazigirl Fri 15-Jun-18 19:53:26

I think it mainly occurs on the political threads which these days I try to avoid, where people often hold firmly entrenched and passionate views, and don't wish to engage in a constructive debate with those whose views differ from their own, and posts are liable to become quite personal. I think this is inevitable where sex and politics are discussed. It happens in RL too.

Iam64 Fri 15-Jun-18 19:47:18

Good question Ilovecheese. I started the thread because I felt a bit dispirited by comments that were bouncing between some posters, which I felt edged beyond disagreement about points of view, belief systems, political leanings and so on. I enjoy discussing politics, news etc but I don’t feel discussions benefit when nasty personal comments are made. Nope, don’t suppose we I can answer your question without naming names. Maybe I had my Pollyanna hat on and should stay on the gardening page.

Ilovecheese Fri 15-Jun-18 19:05:13

What sort of thing do you consider to be personal abuse? Could you give an example without naming names?

Oldwoman70 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:59:14

I have been thinking the same myself Iam. I understand people are passionate about some subjects but I think they should be able to argue their position without resorting to personal abuse.

Iam64 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:51:51

That’s it really. I don’t claim to the moral high ground.
I try to avoid personal abuse but like most posters, I’ve been known to fail.