Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to tell off someone else's child

(127 Posts)
workernan Wed 20-Jun-18 09:48:07

I took my 3yo GD to the park yesterday. There was another, older, child whose carer (I don't know if it was their mother, nanny or anything else) was completely ignoring them and looking at things on her phone instead. The older child was much bigger than my GD and kept pushing her out of the way whenever she tried to go on certain things. I tried to be polite and say things like she won't be long and then it will be your turn etc but this did not work. At one point my GD was climbing onto the little slide to go down and he started kicking her, at one point almost hitting her head. So I told him to leave her alone and that he was hurting her and this was not acceptable. Only then the mother/carer comes rushing over and starts having a go at me! It was fine for her child to hurt another smaller child but not for me to prevent my GD from getting badly hurt! She has a bruise on her arm from the kicks and had I not stepped in he would have carried on. So AIBU to think I did the right thing?

Chewbacca Sat 23-Jun-18 10:43:35

It's completely academic where the mother/guardian of the child was sitting at the time he was misbehaving. The salient point is that she was not engaged with what he was doing or how his behaviour was impacting on others. Had she been watching him, she'd have had the opportunity to intervene before someone else had to. And the "circumstances" of the mother and child are not the responsibility of the OP or anyone else for that matter; they are entirely the responsibility of the mother/guardian. OP only had responsibility of the safety and wellbeing for the GC that she was looking after that day, and if that involved checking another child's bad behaviour; so be it.