Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are beige trousers that bad?

(165 Posts)
annep Fri 22-Jun-18 17:38:23

I'm 67. I met my 57 year old sister yesterday. I was wearing Robell tight stretchy beige/cream coloured trousers which I love. Got a spot on them, was moaning I'd only put them on. Sister said you shouldn't wear beige trousers anyway. only old ladies wear beige trousers! I thought it was a strange thing to say. Would appreciate views. truth please.

Jalima1108 Wed 27-Jun-18 20:12:06

Auntieflo grin

Hope the coffee wasn't hot!
I would like some white trousers but the thought of shopping fills me with inertia.
Dark trousers don't seem right when the sun is blazing sunshine

Auntieflo Wed 27-Jun-18 17:21:04

Beige trousers would have been a blessing today. I was wearing white trousers, and spilled quite a bit of a cup of coffee all down me. So had to sponge them in the hospital loo, and sit steaming gently for three hours until I got home. Not a good look. Bye the way, a banner has appeared at the bottom of my screen saying "Discover what NOT to wear over 50" !!

M0nica Wed 27-Jun-18 17:03:36

I am currently wearing violet cotton trousers with a yellow and blue top. As you may conclude, I too do not want to live in dark trousers.

annep Wed 27-Jun-18 14:47:27

yes lyng I wouldn't want just dark trousers either.

Alexa Wed 27-Jun-18 08:28:00

It depends on what shape you want your clothes to make you look. I agree with Lynnng.
I am now short and tubby and , despite that I once had good looking legs , I now don't want the appearance of what my daughter in law described as "little legs hanging down".

It's the silhouette thing!

Lynng3107 Wed 27-Jun-18 08:10:13

It’s not the colour beige that makes them ‘old lady’ it’s the style and fit. I have beige chino trousers and linen trousers which I love and look great with bright tops. Would hate to just wear black/brown/blue trousers only.

Coolgran65 Tue 26-Jun-18 20:23:20

Oh no.... I didn't know the Indigo range had been discontinued. I always bought it in sales and at the Outlet store.

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-Jun-18 19:22:16

So that they can replace it with lots more of those styles that will never go out of fashion, because they’ve never been in.

DanniRae Tue 26-Jun-18 18:33:59

I loved the Indigo range too. Why on earth have they discontinued it? angry

annep Tue 26-Jun-18 17:53:46

Jalima do they ever ask us apart from silly surveys. I offered to tell them. never heard back!

Maggiemaybe Tue 26-Jun-18 17:49:37

Today I have been mainly wearing a blue/grey River Island shift from Age UK (£4). I live in cotton/linen frocks when the sun shines - just throw them on, accessorise with sandals and earrings and voila, sorted for the day. With, as anno rightly says, a bit of ventilation for the nether regions.

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Jun-18 17:24:16

Today I wore beige shock linen trousers with a white and navy striped linen top.

Jalima1108 Tue 26-Jun-18 17:22:16

M & S Indigo range longish tunic/dress with short sleeves
Having bought some clothes from the Indigo range last year, I was annoyed to find that M&S no longer do them.
Did they ask the customers first?

HildaW Tue 26-Jun-18 16:23:38

spider veins....you lucky thing.....mine are python veins......have had them since late teens so its always trousers or darkish tights , long skirts used to look good but the older I got I found that an overlong skirt gave me that 'Miss Marple' look!

DanniRae Tue 26-Jun-18 15:45:45

Thank you Coogran for your prompt reply. I shall investigate ebay.
I get the impression that you really love clothes? Me too - I think about them constantly and spend ages on my laptop looking at different clothes sites. I order loads of stuff, and am ashamed to say, that I send lots back!
I love reading your detailed descriptions of what you are wearing or what you are planning to wear smile

annep Tue 26-Jun-18 15:39:22

coolgran65 and barmyoldbat you are both obviously very cool?
(Perhaps Robell might give me a thank you bonus - joke. def not advertising) Never thought of ebay.

annodomini Tue 26-Jun-18 15:31:12

Venturing into skirts this week - allows a draught up the nether regions! Bright, cheerful, multi-coloured one today (Sainsbury's), just below knee, with a blue top. And metallic Hotter sandals.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jun-18 15:23:00

I'm baggy all over before I put my clothes on shock

Coolgran65 Tue 26-Jun-18 15:07:34

Dannirae I am 18 trousers and 20 top. Try on the Robell in a shop to see what style you like. I like the Marie and Bella. You can get them for much much less on eBay.

Coolgran65 Tue 26-Jun-18 15:05:18

Tomorrow going out to lunch I'm wearing an M & S Indigo range longish tunic/dress with short sleeves in pale random colours including grey so that will match up with my grey 7/8 leggings and my
grey and white Clarks velcro walking sandals. Silver jewellery. Kipling pale grey messenger bag and a long casual linen mesh scarf. If too warm I'll tie the scarf to the bag. N

The M & S linen tunic was £2 yesterday from a Charity Shop.

The leggings hide my spider veins.

DanniRae Tue 26-Jun-18 15:02:03

I had never heard of Robell ankle grazers until I read this thread. I am tempted but how do they look on a size 18 lady? (with a long top, of course). But maybe all you Robell wearers are all smaller sizes? I look forward to hearing from all you Robell fans.

Coolgran65 Tue 26-Jun-18 14:56:23

I am 69 and Today I'm looking after two dgc. Dh has just gone to pick them up from school. I'm wearing a white sleeveless V neck linen/cotton long tunic nearly to the knees with silver grey Robell ankle grazers. Clarks grey/white walking sandals. Comfy and perfect fit as they have velcro fastening. Arms are tanned (thank you Sunshimmer). Hair spiked and dangle funky gold earrings.
Don't look anyway near frumpy despite Velcro sandals. Toenails are brightly polished.

Barmeyoldbat I am with you on the robells, I've 5 pairs including beige/stone/latte/neutral.

I don't think colour is a problem. It's the fabric, the cut, how you put pieces together and accessorize accessorize accessorize.

DanniRae Tue 26-Jun-18 14:39:23

That's a very sensible rule Hilda - I shall remember it. I don't think tight all over looks too good either........well not on me, for sure!! shock

annep Tue 26-Jun-18 14:37:40

Still having fun reading posts but in spite of what people day, it seems it does matter what you wear after all - if only to amuse people watchers ?

HildaW Tue 26-Jun-18 12:23:47

I think a good rule (someone once told me) was you can be either baggy/loose up top and fitted below or vice versa....never baggy all over!