Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are beige trousers that bad?

(164 Posts)
suzied Fri 22-Jun-18 18:44:00

Depends on the cut/ style. Beige elasticated waist polyester definite no.
Stone coloured chinos ( not beige) or Capri pants with sandals and a bright coloured shirt or tunic yes.

Squiffy Fri 22-Jun-18 18:32:25

I agree harri! It's never even occurred to me that age and colour was a 'thing'!

harrigran Fri 22-Jun-18 18:24:49

Wear what you like and be damned, I wear beige trousers all the time and if people have a problem with that then it is their problem not mine.

Panache Fri 22-Jun-18 18:17:23

Personally I think it simply a question of the material,style and what is worn with them........I think possibly your sister was thinking of those crimpolene days........and yes very aging indeed........or again those with an elastic waistband.

Today with a modern cut and the fabrics they use they are totally a different fashion...........worn casually with trainers.............or deck shoes as mentioned.........and cheery colourful tops,sweaters or jackets.......I would say you are fit enough to go most places.,plus the obliging bright scarf to complete the ensemble!
Furthermore I wear these.........and get enough compliments to tell me I look fine!..........and I am probably in the age group your sister was talking about!

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jun-18 18:15:18

And now I feel mean, because really we should all wear whatever we want and I’m sure yours are much more stylish than mine were. blush

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Jun-18 18:12:00

I’m sorry, anne, but I have to agree with your sister. I bought some beige linen pants a couple of years ago, but hardly wore them, they just felt old somehow. And the what I told myself were nude shoes haven’t seen the light of day since I asked DD1 what she thought, and she tactfully told me they were very nice, but a bit, well, old lady beige...

varian Fri 22-Jun-18 18:02:22

You sometimes see old couples both dressed head to toe in beige. It's not a good look - especially with grey or white hair.

However I think Cherrytree probably looks fine with something brightly coloured on her top half.

Greyduster Fri 22-Jun-18 18:02:02

I also have two pairs of beige chinos, and I like them. No-one has ever said I look old in them.

Cherrytree59 Fri 22-Jun-18 17:58:30

I have beige chinos
I dont wear very often but when I do I wear with bright top and Afghan type scarf.

Deck shoes go well with beige cargos (imho)smile

HildaW Fri 22-Jun-18 17:53:04

Hmmmmmmmm men!!!!!

hildajenniJ Fri 22-Jun-18 17:51:24

I never wear beige either. I wouldn't say it's an old ladies colour, just that I don't suit it. My trousers are black, navy and grey. I have a pair of sage green summer wide leg trousers, but I don't think I'll wear them again, as DH says they make me look short and plump. I liked them until he said that.

HildaW Fri 22-Jun-18 17:45:17

Sorry....agree with your sister. From a little way away it looks like there's nothing on.
Seriously, though its just not a colour I'd wear top or bottom....my 'neutral' colours are navy blue, dark grey or dark brown.....even known to wear a sort of outdoorsy drab olive because they all go with the sort of colours I wear. If I want paler....then its a pale denim blue or grey.

jenpax Fri 22-Jun-18 17:45:02

I think my DD would consider beige trousers to be worn by ladies of a certain age? I stick to black trousers or navy ?

annep Fri 22-Jun-18 17:38:23

I'm 67. I met my 57 year old sister yesterday. I was wearing Robell tight stretchy beige/cream coloured trousers which I love. Got a spot on them, was moaning I'd only put them on. Sister said you shouldn't wear beige trousers anyway. only old ladies wear beige trousers! I thought it was a strange thing to say. Would appreciate views. truth please.