Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to hate this hot weather

(170 Posts)
sazz1 Fri 29-Jun-18 22:43:57

As soon as the temperature goes over 23C I start to feel ill. I have to lie down somewhere cool as I feel weak and dizzy. The GP can do nothing to help apart from saying stay indoors out of the sun. Now everyone else is loving the weather, neighbours are out sunbathing and eating al fresco, local toddlers splashing in paddling pools etc and I'm laying on my bed day after day feeling awful. Sorry to moan but is anyone else in the same boat and can't wait until Autumn?

RosieLeah Sat 30-Jun-18 21:12:58

It's very reassuring to know that I'm not alone in disliking the hot weather. I, too, feel quite ill with it..dizzy and tired. I don't like the sunshine, even in the winter, it hurts my eyes. Everyone I see is sporting a suntan, but I'm still pale as butter.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:14:01

I felt a bit dizzy today RosieLeah and thought I could be coming down with something, but it was just the heat I think.

However - it was better than rain!

glammanana Sat 30-Jun-18 21:16:28

Lets look back on this thread when we are in mid January and moaning about the cold and heating bills.smile
We wouldn't be normal if we didn't have a little moan.

RosieLeah Sat 30-Jun-18 21:17:02

I enjoy going out in the rain! It's hard to believe now, but it's only 10 days since I went out for a walk and got soaked through!

MawBroon Sat 30-Jun-18 21:18:45

Take more tonic with it Jalima!

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:20:18

grin
I had a lime and soda MawBroon!!
Perhaps a gin would have stopped the dizziness!

etheltbags1 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:32:39

I hate the heat, I work outdoors doing market research and have an extra sensitivity since chemo? I load myself with Sun cream and work through the day feeling sick and I'll. My hair is soaking in sweat my face is slither, I can't bear make up. My doc is monitoring some lumps on my head . I've never been able to wear a hat .My sympathy to anyone with this problem

GrannyGravy13 Sat 30-Jun-18 21:34:24

MawBroon & Jalima I am on my 2nd glass of dry white wine, cool breeze here in SE Essex.

Chewbacca Sat 30-Jun-18 22:37:24

I went to a 1940s weekend event today that I've been looking forward to for weeks. St John's ambulance volunteers seemed to be rather busy attending to people who were struggling with the heat. We had to give up after an hour or so and headed up into the hills where there was a lovely stiff breeze. It was lovely to have goose bumps for a little while!

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Jun-18 22:52:40

have an extra sensitivity since chemo? yes, I think it can affect your thermostat ethel.
I did go to buy a hat today, but they all looked hideous on me. Well, probably because the hats were hideous! grin Why do the styles change and the fashion designers decide what we will wear?
Large, floppy hats make me look like a mushroom.

I did have a nice glass (or two) of Viognier with dinner when I got home GrannyGravy smile

Witzend Sat 30-Jun-18 22:53:37

For anyone who sweats a lot, well, salt is a dirty word nowadays but you could be lacking in it.

I used to live in a vey hot part of the world, and during the worst, sweatiest times of the year, everyone took salt tablets. We had dispensers provided by the company.

I remembered this when we were on holiday in a very hot, humid place where everyone was sweating a lot. We were constantly advised to drink plenty of water, but nobody mentioned salt. Having started to feel terribly tired, I remembered how we'd taken salt tablets daily, added plenty to my lunch, and felt a lot better quite quickly.

Jalima1108 Sat 30-Jun-18 22:55:31

Yes, salt tablets were essential in hot climates.
DH did mention that today to someone who was recommending drinking lots of water that salt is essential too in hot weather.

annep Sat 30-Jun-18 23:11:41

Ethel I hope it cools down for you soon.

Eloethan Sun 01-Jul-18 00:36:56

If you can't cope with the heat, it's not unreasonable.

Personally, I like the heat. At least this sort of temperature - not too much higher though.

Grandma70s Sun 01-Jul-18 06:00:21

Not even six in the morning and the sun is already blazing through my bedroom window. Another sleepless night. If it goes on much longer I shall go mad. Please rain!

Just going to close the curtains, but that stops what little air there is getting into the room.

OldMeg Sun 01-Jul-18 06:31:25

Spare a thought for animals with thoughtless owners. Dogs shut in hot cars, horses out in fields with no shelter, etc.

ginny Sun 01-Jul-18 07:27:28

Sadly OldMeg, thoughtless owners will be the same wether it is hot or cold.

annep Sun 01-Jul-18 07:51:39

Grandma70s poor you! I felt like that yesterday. This morning slept well- aided by paracetamol and cotton sheet. Slightly cooler here this morning in NI.

loopyloo Sun 01-Jul-18 07:56:25

I feel really irritable and guilty about feeling irritable. Sure the heat has something to do with it and fighting to keep my blood sugars down. And it upsets me that all my plants are so dry. Also that I need to lose 2 stone from my midriff.
Aren't we supposed to have thunderstorms and rain today?

annep Sun 01-Jul-18 09:24:46

no need to feel guilty loopyloo. This heat will make lots of us grumpy. I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about plants. I am however going to buy a rainwater barrel. And trying to eat sensibly is hard when its too hot to think about cooking. I too am trying to keep blood sugar down. and I really want a large ice cream! not half of a mini magnum. It wont last forever thankfully ?

Charleygirl Sun 01-Jul-18 09:41:38

Just think of the amount of money you are saving on heating bills! I am fortunate, I have solar panels so hot water is free for me in this glorious weather.

I suppose it is because I have had major surgery recently but I have to have my cardigan close by!

BlueBelle Sun 01-Jul-18 09:52:30

I don’t think any of you are unreasonable to dislike hot weather but I do think it’s totally unreasonable to not ever want it, as we get so very little pleasant weather and those of us who like a bit of sun and warmth in our bones get a few odd weeks out of 12 blooming months and the minute the sun shines off it goes moan moan moan Totally understand anybody ill feeling uncomfortable but the general whining about a few days gets on my nerves It happens every time the sun is out more than two days on the trot
Brits are moaners no two ways about it

sue01 Sun 01-Jul-18 09:54:20

I find a Gin and Tonic works. Plenty of ice.

Coconut Sun 01-Jul-18 10:04:53

As I have got older, I struggle a bit with the heat, I need to be in the shade. I have a lovely swinging chair in the garden with a canopy that I lie on so am not in direct sunlight. When I go out I have a large brimmed hat I wear or a sun visor. I just find the heat very draining so won’t do anything too strenuous if I can avoid it.

Apricity Sun 01-Jul-18 10:09:16

As an Aussie we deal with hot weather and seriously hot weather every summer. I think we all struggle with weather that is outside our usual experience, whether that is much warmer or much colder. Either way you need to modify your behaviour and daily routines. For warmer weather do chores earlier, leave the ironing, simplify your food preparation (salads not roasts), stay well hydrated, wear loose cotton clothing not sythetics, buy a fan, use a water spray bottle to spray a fine mist over yourself and stand in front of the fan, wear a hat outside and rest and stay indoors as much as possible.