Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect a dining table?

(54 Posts)
br0adwater Tue 03-Jul-18 07:53:50

I've hired a 'stunning apartment' for a week and there is no table to eat at or work at. The kitchen is big enough for a table and chairs so it's presumably been a conscious decision not to provide them. I've just had my breakfast cereal perched on my lap on a sofa. I plan to complain but honestly, AIBU?

eazybee Wed 04-Jul-18 10:07:01

Some friends rented a flat for a weekend birthday celebration in Canary Wharf; very good accommodation and furnishings, including dining table and fully equipped kitchen, but no wine glasses or corkscrew.
Apparently the owner was muslim.

cc Wed 04-Jul-18 10:08:10

It is ridiculous for them not to provide any sort of table - everybody has to eat, even if its only breakfast. I do wonder if they had a table at some stage that was damaged so they removed it. And no working oven? I think that you are due for a refund.
Not sure if you are in the UK or abroad, but I'd take it up with the booking agent immediately.

lovebooks Wed 04-Jul-18 10:13:01

My Malaysian friends who live in London like to go home at Christmas to see family, so needed to book a place to stay. On Air B&B there was a flat available on the ground floor of the high-rise building in Kuala Lumpur where the grannie lives - sounded perfect, apart from the mosquitos (you don't get them if you're high up, and they thought they could deal with that). Just as a precaution, my friend asked if her brother could check it out, which is against Air B&B's rules, but they said OK. He found the place filthy, with the ceiling about to come down in the bathroom, and a large dead lizard in one of the drawers, so needless to say they will NOT be booking, but some poor unfortunate might. Scary.

maddyone Wed 04-Jul-18 10:16:12

I have looked at the pictures, and some clearly show a table and chairs, others, perhaps the smaller apartments, do not. I would have contacted the owner through Booking.com and specificly asked to be accommodated in an apartment that had a dining table. I have found contacting the owner to be very useful myself, for example, I’ve frequently asked for extra pillows as I like plenty, and they’ve always been provided. Also I’ve asked for a kettle and cups, and I’ve asked if specific items are in the apartment/room ie a washing machine (when on holiday.) At least then you can decide whether to upgrade or cancel and choose other accommodation if it doesn’t suit. Overall, based on the pictures, I don’t think you’re being unreasonable.

Spinlady70 Wed 04-Jul-18 10:24:13

I cannot understand why, if you are only in the apartment for a week you are bothering about the lack of a table. If there are kitchen work tops use those to prepare food then put your plate on a tray, or go out and enjoy your holiday. I have stayed in several self catering properties and they have all had their eccentricities which we smile about and carry on.

mabon1 Wed 04-Jul-18 10:36:21

Not at all.

I went to look at a ground floor flat when I thought I might downsize. Two adults and two children lived there so I asked where they ate their meals, the answer "in front of the tv on our knees" I was horrified.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 04-Jul-18 10:40:09

Isn't it a matter of choice.? I have no problem eating breakfast or any meal while sitting on a sofa or in bed grin but that's me.There are many 'lets' where I live, coastal south west, who unless specify ' dining room' will only provide a table / breakfast bar in the kitchen. If you wish to be formal then check the photographs supplied with rental properties before you make a decision.

icanhandthemback Wed 04-Jul-18 10:42:54

Good luck with Booking.com. I recently booked a hotel with their promise that I would get the money back if I had to cancel. No fee if I cancelled within 3 hours. I couldn't get flights so I cancelled within 1 hour. When my credit card statement came through, the hotel had taken the payment and hadn't refunded. I rang Booking.com and I had to go directly to the hotel to get a refund, they didn't expect to do anything, it was all down to me. Very disappointing. I won't make the same mistake twice.

humptydumpty Wed 04-Jul-18 10:43:07

mabon1 that is exactly how we eat, no room for table and chairs...

Elrel Wed 04-Jul-18 11:06:37

The extra wine glasses and bread knives are so that you can forget the lack of table! You are intended to throw a party which includes Highland dancing over crossed breadknives!
Sloppy management and no checking of kitchen equipment by the sound of it.

inishowen Wed 04-Jul-18 12:14:54

My son's ex tried to go plateless! She would hand you a sandwich or whatever on a sheet of kitchen roll.

Craicon Wed 04-Jul-18 12:14:58

I have 2 dining tables plus an eating area in the kitchen but I eat 90% of my meals on my lap in the sunroom. I’ve just got used to it. smile
However, I would expect a holiday venue to have a proper table.

grannyactivist Wed 04-Jul-18 12:24:40

I like to dine at a table all year round and especially so on holiday when I have the time to enjoy lovely long leisurely meals and conversation with The Wonderful Man. If it was just for a weekend then I could cope, but no longer.

Shazmo24 Wed 04-Jul-18 12:31:56

Before you booked presumably you checked what it did & didn't have in the apartment & yet you still chose to stay there. Sorry but yes you ABU

Doversole Wed 04-Jul-18 13:10:49

It sounds as if either the management company don't really have a handle on the condition of the apartment (broken oven, incomplete set of cutlery, and have not thought through how people would eat a meal in the place), or as if these are subtle (perhaps not so subtle) ways to reduce the wear and tear, and cleaning required, by getting guests to eat out . You should let the management know, perhaps they don't realise. If they don't respond, leaving some feedback would certainly help others.

willa45 Wed 04-Jul-18 15:03:09

NO, you are not being unreasonable! My neighbor always joked that if she ended up homeless, all she would need was a ".....bed to sleep in and a table and chair to eat". smile

Brigidsdaughter Wed 04-Jul-18 16:00:43

No you're it unreasonable. Why would you check for a table?? It's standard. I'd have a mug of tea using a side table, always eat a a table. As does our son 22.
What next? Is there a loo? A chair to sit on? A bed?
In my first flat a studio, I had a consul table which could open up, or not as rewuired

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 04-Jul-18 17:25:46

I expect a dining table and chairs as I cannot abide eating from a plate on my lap. I'm not sure that it's a generation thing as my late MIL used to get very sarky whenever I laid a table - accusing me of being posh. It's just civilised, surely?
I think I'd comment, a table should be provided if an apartment is meant to be luxurious.

codfather Wed 04-Jul-18 19:00:19

We have a large dining table which can be extended to sit more and we have a large garden table which will sit about 8. For Christmas dinner, we bring the garden table in and use it for seating.

I don't mind a snack sitting in a chair but anything more and I need a tray otherwise I spill most of it down me! blush

Grammaretto Wed 04-Jul-18 19:13:07

You are definitely not bu.
Maybe a previous tenant stole it or swapped it for bread knives.
A bedroom should have a bed. A kitchen/diner should have a table.

I recently stayed at a travelodge. It was ok so I gave them a good review. A week later I stayed there again but was very disappointed. When I tried to leave an honest review I was told it couldn't be accepted as I had already given them one!

callgirl1 Wed 04-Jul-18 21:42:47

I don`t have a table, there isn`t room for one, the only time we ate at a table was when we had the caravan, it always felt lovely and different eating at a table. At home it`s a tray on my knee, sitting n the sofa.

Nannan2 Wed 04-Jul-18 21:48:57

Is there a number to call and ask if they can provide one,even if only a small one??

br0adwater Thu 05-Jul-18 06:00:01

Thanks for all these comments. Many other problems have now emerged including a faulty cooker and 2 broken smoke alarms. I'll try harder to contact the management company when I get home. I've failed so far. When I've given them a chance to reply, I'll leave a review.

auntiejantie Thu 05-Jul-18 06:38:25

I have rented many houses and apartments over the years and a table is not on my list to check for - I would expect one! Parking and more than one bathroom are my priorities but so would a table be if I had realised there was a likelihood that there wouldn't be one! Smoke alarms are surely compulsory in a rental property! Have I missed the name of the management company on the thread, broadwater? It would be interesting to know.

MawBroon Thu 05-Jul-18 06:47:12

Perhaps “name and shame” broadwater?
Twitter, FaceBook too. These organisations tend to respond more promptly to social media than a polite letter or email after you are home again.