Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this is unbelievably selfish

(83 Posts)
fruitloop Wed 04-Jul-18 10:20:00

Sorry it is another neighbour one. We live in a terrace and have small gardens. On one side our neighbours have three young children. They also have a trampoline which is not in itself an issue but they let the children play on it whenever they want. At the moment this is from 6am every day of the week. The squeak squeak squeak of the springs is a bit annoying at any time as it is relentless and loud but obviously I wouldn't think of complaining about this as it is what it is. The sound of children having fun is a good sound most of the time but shrieking children and squeaky springs at 6am when we are asleep or want to be asleep because there is no chance with it going on is driving us slowly mad. The neighbours are fairly new and we have not yet built a relationship with them so can't just have a friendly word over the fence. What to do?

Nvella Thu 05-Jul-18 12:38:01

There is a link at the top called Acronyms with will tell you what all the initials mean

Hopefully64 Thu 05-Jul-18 13:51:18

Well while trampoline are not fun to live next door too.
The noise a bouncy castle makes is horrid. And if they buy one of them nice summer day are ruined to the kids get too big .

BettyEdwards1 Thu 05-Jul-18 13:52:08

I love OldMeg's suggestions. The only thing is the children round us seem to be up themselves until 10.30 - 11.pm and by that sort of time I'm ready for my own bed. I also wonder why it is children see the need to scream so much these days. Children playing making a noise is one thing but the screaming is something else and parents don't seem to tell them not to. I don't remember mine screening quite like they do today.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 05-Jul-18 14:36:08

You are not being unreasonable at all. You mention that the neighbours on the other side of your new neighbours are also bothered by the noise from a squeaky trampoline at 6 a.m. so why don't you ask the new neighbours and the old ones in for coffee at the same time?

Then use the excellent suggestions regarding WD40 and ask nicely if the children please could play something quiet until at least 8 a.m.?

OldMeg Thu 05-Jul-18 14:51:11

Slightly off piste but related, I’d like your opinions on this.

I have visitors from the States staying the first two week of August. We had a lovely patio area (though I say so myself) just outside the kitchen door, with tables and umbrellas and lots of tubs of colourful plants and it gets the sun in the morning. Visiting people tend to gravitate towards it and we (DH & myself) usually have breakfast out there in the summer.

Our US visitors do tend to talk more loudly than us Brits and I’m aware that neighbours don’t want to be woken too early. I’m prepared to say quite firmly not to go out/there before a certain time.

What time would be reasonable? I have one in my head but would like the opinion of others.

sarahellenwhitney Thu 05-Jul-18 15:47:38

OldMeg Just when you think you have had heard it all.
What gives you the idea your neighbours will be remotely interested in your U.S friends conversations.? At least if your neighbours are' listening in' which I am sure they will have far better things to do, they will understand what is being said.

Brismum Thu 05-Jul-18 16:15:41

Old Meg: I can’t see any problem with 0800 hrs. Enjoy ?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 05-Jul-18 16:32:33

Buy some wd40, lean over the fence and say with a smile, can you use this etc and then maybe we can sleep a bit longer in the mornings!

Overthehills Thu 05-Jul-18 16:42:09

It is too early in my opinion but, as others have said, try to find a friendly way of tackling it. I find earplugs a necessity in all sorts of situations as I’m really sensitive to noise. Good luck.

chicken Thu 05-Jul-18 16:45:19

OldMeg----I think 8am would be perfectly reasonable.

harrysgran Thu 05-Jul-18 17:27:44

I would follow old megs advice make as much noise as you can when you know the children are in bed maybe when they aren't going to sleep as early they might sleep in later mow the grass, cut the hedges,and invite friends and family around failing that earplugs might help

gmelon Thu 05-Jul-18 17:45:08

Would you consider writing to them?
Maybe anonomously?
Perhpas a nice card, welcome to your new home and put a p.s. about the trampoline.

Or a more formal approach.
Maybe a joint letter from you and the other neighbour who is disturbed would suffice.

annep Thu 05-Jul-18 18:28:24

I dont think returning the noise is the way to go. I think thats childish. Or a letter. I had that when we were settling a new puppy. I would definitely have preferred them to speak to me. Pluck up courage and just say nicely.

Yellowmellow Thu 05-Jul-18 18:43:38

When my children were young they were also up at 6.00 a.m. in the morning, but I wouldn't let them out to play until 9.00, 9.30 at the weekends. My theory was just because I'm up at the crack of dawn my neighbours didn't need to be.
Saying that i did have a neighbour 2 doors up whose children were out playing at some ungodly hour.
I'd mention it to your neighbours...nicely

OldMeg Thu 05-Jul-18 18:48:08

Sarahellen that wasn’t the point at all. As it seems I have to spell it out ...it’s the noise level ?. Some people!

Thanks for those who replied. I was thinking 8.00am too ??

OldMeg Thu 05-Jul-18 18:48:48

annep it was a joke ???

annep Thu 05-Jul-18 19:04:36

oldmeg I just looked back. sorry yes. but I thought the other person was serious? Someone mentioned children squealing and yelling. My daughter's children do that. She realised how stressed I was with it and headachey and told them not to when I was there. But why do children do that nowadays?!!

LiltingLyrics Thu 05-Jul-18 19:57:31

Generally, I like to see and hear children play but nowadays I find the piercing shrieks of children (and adults) increasingly hard on my nerves.

I don't think it's my imagination that people are louder and less considerate, oblivious even, of the affect their noise has on others. Mobile communications mean that some people simply never shut up. Impossible to travel on a bus or a train nowadays or sit in a cafe without being party to someone else's very loud conversation.

Shrieking has become a regular thing on TV, audience members whooping at every little thing. Children learn their behaviour. Is the art of doing things quietly being lost?

Marieeliz Thu 05-Jul-18 20:04:22

Recently went to look at an over 55's bungalow. It was empty and had been for a few months. It had quite a big garden but, when the next door neighbour showed me around, he had a key, there were 5 footballs in it, kicked over the fence from a house on the side of the garden. There was also a trampoline right on the bungalow boundary fence.

I decided even though it was what I wanted I would give it a miss. I was later told that that particular family had recently moved into that house.

PECS Thu 05-Jul-18 20:12:04

Nobody can say that kids may not play in their own gardens! I understand the annoyance of that repetitive squeak..I have the neighbour's rabbits thumping in the middle of the night..it is annoying but it is life!

MawBroon Thu 05-Jul-18 20:13:14

I can’t imagine what those rabbits are up to either! grin

Jalima1108 Thu 05-Jul-18 20:33:56

Grampie What would you recommend for shrieking kids ?

I would suggest spraying the children with WD40

annep Fri 06-Jul-18 09:07:11

liltinglyrics I agree re television. Some of the talent shows would be fun to watch if it werent for all the noise. Oh for the quiet days of Hughie Green and the clapometer!lol Its a very noisy world. Shops too.

LiltingLyrics Fri 06-Jul-18 11:02:47

Going off topic here but I go to hear a lot of live music, all kinds from classical to rock. Whooping, whistling and shrieking are becoming more and more common as ways of expressing appreciation whatever the genre. A few months ago, I went to a tiny theatre to hear a very gentle acoustic set from a well-known musician - folk and soft rock. The guy three seats along from me whooped, whistled and shrieked at the end of every single piece. It felt entirely inappropriate for the setting and my ears were hurting from the assault. I saw the performer look across and frown several times. Why do people do this? Is it simply attention seeking and if adults cant stop themselves from shrieking it is any wonder that children do it?

annep Fri 06-Jul-18 15:31:59

What an idiot!