Gransnet forums

AIBU

AiBU and feeling really grumpy

(80 Posts)
M0nica Fri 06-Jul-18 21:08:32

I would have liked her to stay the night of the party. The event is in the house we have rented, we have caterers coming in and they will have a longish journey back quite late at night. It would be safer.

jenpax Fri 06-Jul-18 21:06:11

Just a thought but do you think there may be a health reason that your sister hasn’t revealed to you as the reason for the reluctance to be an overnight guest?
In the run up to my diagnosis, I was avoiding staying with DD1 or 2 (both of whom invited me )but my reason was embarrassment around illness symptoms?
it’s since been discussed as I had to have surgery, and I wish now I hadn’t been so embarrassed??‍♀️

MawBroon Fri 06-Jul-18 21:01:24

Siblings.
No comment.
But congratulations to you and your DH for getting there -we didn’t and Paw knew we wouldn’t but that doesn’t stop me being happy for you.
I hope it is a wonderful celebration for you all and if your sister chooses to proverbially cut off her nose to spite her face, so be it.
? to you!

paddyann Fri 06-Jul-18 21:00:36

You are being unreasonable,she's coming to take you to lunch surely thats all thats required.She no doubt has a life..and all the usual probelms etc that go with it and maybe she cant manage longer than that and doesn't want to go into the reason.Just enjoy the time she does have

M0nica Fri 06-Jul-18 20:56:26

This year DH and I celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and reach our 75th birthdays. Not being great party people we decided to hire a big house for a week in a popular holiday area and invite all those who still survive from our small wedding and anyone coming into our life as the result of the wedding, DGC and DDiL' and her family, 14 in all.

Everyone accepted the invite, although not all can stay the full week. The exception is my only surviving sister. She is coming up once to take us out to lunch and also for the celebratory dinner we are hosting - and that's it. She and her DH will not be staying one night.

If I am honest, I am not just feeling grumpy, I am quite upset about it. There is nothing I can do. It is par for the course. We get on perfectly well when we see each other a couple of times a year and DH and I both like her husband, who is very shy, but they both do plenty of things apart so if he is daunted by staying somewhere with 10 people he hasn't met before, which we can understand, she could come alone for a few days.

I am going to go into a corner and have a little cry and then get over it.