Gransnet forums

AIBU

Theresa May & Trump, why the negative slant ?

(162 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 13-Jul-18 18:22:48

Am I alone in thinking that Reporters & Journalists seemed hell bent on reporting the meeting of DT & TM in a particularly negative way,despite the fact that both of them were obviously making positive efforts & remarks in a civilised & mature manner?

lemongrove Thu 02-Aug-18 22:06:03

I thought exactly the same POGS it was misinterpreted from the start.

NfkDumpling Thu 02-Aug-18 22:02:35

Ditto!

POGS Thu 02-Aug-18 19:52:40

Kim 19 posted:-

"British MP showing signs of 'Britain first' " (small case 'f')
---
mcem posted:-

" MPs lining up to support 'Britain First'? " (uppercase 'F')
---
Old Meg posted :-

"kim have you any idea what Britain First stands for?"
--
mcem posted:-

"Were you really not aware that Jo Cox MP was brutally murdered by a man who was proud to support Britain First?"
--

Kim 19

If you are lurking I read your post as 'Britain first ' NOT 'Britain First '. The posters who followed your post on Sunday elected to put both the words Britain and First starting with a ' capital ' letter which altered the context of your post in my opinion.

I hope I have not misinterpreted your original post as I would hold no good word for the Britain First organisation but I felt your second post cleared up the mistake , at least in my view.

Nonu Thu 02-Aug-18 17:42:08

Me too Jalima

Jalima1108 Fri 20-Jul-18 15:14:10

Oh yes, I can see it now Dorcas
(they looked a bit like feet, I have put my proper specs on now)

PECS Fri 20-Jul-18 13:21:33

The term Britain First is associated with extremist fascist behaviour and politics of the worst kind. People who have been abused by these thugs and criminals do not welcome any association with the phrase. UK & allies fought a WW against those political ideals. Our fathers/ grandfathers should not have died then for these policies and attitudes to be allowed to flourish again now. It always happens in times of austerity. We look to blame people different to us for the problems. It is not them..It is the ruling class.

dorcas1950 Tue 17-Jul-18 09:46:46

Jalima: applause

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 19:01:48

what are those emoticons Dorcas?
I can't tell

dorcas1950 Mon 16-Jul-18 18:51:41

Anniebach, Iam64 and Grandma70: ???

Bridgeit Mon 16-Jul-18 15:26:46

I wonder if it could be re -designed so that it doesn’t instantly become associated with British First & the more undeseriable association of prejudice & thuggery . Such a shame that what I can only describe as ‘ normal’ or Mr & Mrs Average are perhaps reluctant to display it because of this association, but thankfully the gentler Union Jack seems to still represent the patriotic, sensible majority of the Uks inhabitants.

Elegran Mon 16-Jul-18 14:33:52

If the only people to fly it are the extremists, they will take possession of it permanently.

lemongrove Mon 16-Jul-18 14:19:28

Agreed Jalima perhaps now is the right time for England to fly the flag more often, just as other countries do.???????

lemongrove Mon 16-Jul-18 14:17:55

I hope that Kim will return to this thread, wouldn’t blame her if she didn’t though!

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 13:20:19

ps people who were not extremists - and not even great football fans - have reclaimed it and flown the flag of St George.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 13:19:21

I am hoping it has been claimed back again with the well-behaved football Elegran! smile

Elegran Mon 16-Jul-18 12:55:05

The flag of St George has been appropriated by extremists too.

Jalima1108 Mon 16-Jul-18 12:54:05

What a pity that that right-wing organisation has appropriated the name.

oldbatty Mon 16-Jul-18 12:22:25

do you know what does Put Britain First actually mean? We are a small island on the brink of being broken up into smaller countries.

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 11:25:38

The words Britain and First are indelibly linked in my mind with the dreadful right-wing organisation (whose posts Trump chose to retweet) and the murder of Jo Cox.
I'd go so far as to say I am not alone in that!
Can't see that saying that is in any way decrying the country.

NfkDumpling Mon 16-Jul-18 11:12:32

I don’t think you can compare the actions of the organisation Britain First with the simple wish that we should put Britain first - with a small eff - as Kim said. Nothing whatsoever to do with the Britain First fascists. In other words we should back Britain. Why not? Support Britain. Why not? We spend too much time decrying our country, putting ourselves down and assuming that every other first world country gets it right and we don’t.

pollyperkins Mon 16-Jul-18 09:33:25

Hmmm -of course we remember the murder of Jo Cox but personally I had forgotten that it was a member of Britain First that did it! They are not high on my radar.
I dont think Kim was referring to an organisation , just a idea.

mcem Mon 16-Jul-18 09:29:28

lemon l congratulated kim on her honest reply.
I 'wondered' how she felt about her own brexit vote - hardly interrogation!
I found it hard to understand how anyone could not know about Jo Cox so asked a straightforward question.
Again I say, hardly interrogation!

Don't you think it's rather patronising to leap to the defence of a poster who is clearly able to engage in discussion without your 'help' and who is willing to say she has learned from the exchange of views?

Kim please continue to post, comment, question and answer as you see fit - taking the rough with the smooth and dealing with issues as you choose!

OldMeg Mon 16-Jul-18 09:05:41

I think the Blair ‘I’m Backing Britain’ campaign tried to do that.

OldMeg Mon 16-Jul-18 09:04:24

kim an honest acknowledgement.

petra Mon 16-Jul-18 08:47:13

Varian
From the Guardian 2017.
the president of the European Commission, Jean Claude Juncker, spent years in his previous role as Luxembourgs prime minister secretly blocking eu efforts to tackle tax avoidance by multinational corporations, leaked documents reveal.
Camaron couldn't hold a candle to juncker when it comes to arranging tax deals. This matter, tax deals/juncker is still being investigated.