Gransnet forums

AIBU

Theresa May & Trump, why the negative slant ?

(161 Posts)
Bridgeit Fri 13-Jul-18 18:22:48

Am I alone in thinking that Reporters & Journalists seemed hell bent on reporting the meeting of DT & TM in a particularly negative way,despite the fact that both of them were obviously making positive efforts & remarks in a civilised & mature manner?

MawBroon Fri 13-Jul-18 18:32:31

I think it very hard to be positive after Trump’s remarks of yesterday - damage limitation today, but is anybody fooled?

Bridgeit Fri 13-Jul-18 18:38:03

Absolutely agree MawBroon reference that .but just listening to what they both said ( 6pm news) what I saw & heard was Immediately reported on the news in a very negative way,I didn’t expect an overly positive slant in fact there shouldn’t be a slant in my opinion, it was reasonable & civilised with effort made to make it so.

mcem Fri 13-Jul-18 19:20:41

Foot in mouth or sabotage?
Definitely back-tracking and damage limitation!
I can find nothing positive to say about this visit.

varian Fri 13-Jul-18 19:24:58

I think that yesterdays Trump interview with the Sun showed the real Trump. He is now embarrassed about it so declares it to be "fake news". Trump's speech today was obviously written by a speechwriter - aiming for damage limitation.

oldbatty Fri 13-Jul-18 19:35:02

please somebody tell me what is good about him?

Luckygirl Fri 13-Jul-18 19:36:12

Apparently Trump says he did not say anything of the sort - it is all fake news!

Luckygirl Fri 13-Jul-18 19:37:10

Opps - sorry varian - you had already made that observation.

varian Fri 13-Jul-18 19:37:59

Tell that to Tom Newton-Dunn, political correspondant of The Sun who interviewed him. I know who I believe.

pollyperkins Fri 13-Jul-18 20:28:17

But I heard him say some of it on the radio! That he'd told May how to do
Rexit but she'd ignored it. And that he liked Boris and said he'd make a good Prime Minister What is he denying?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-Jul-18 20:28:37

I think I saw on twitter a link to the audio of the interview with Tom Newton Dunn, out there for people to make their own mind up.

Iam64 Fri 13-Jul-18 20:29:29

Fake News! What a laugh. You simply couldn't make him up. Untrustworthy, impulsive, reactive, misogynist, racist - what is there about this man to admire, nothing. I find it difficult to get beyond the fact that we don't accept that kind of behaviour from teenagers, never mind the most powerful man in the world. Disgraceful.

Luckygirl Fri 13-Jul-18 20:39:49

The thing is that fake news is a reality - news conjured up by folk to get the advertising money from the number of hits on their sites. The do not care how outrageous it might be. It is something we should all be very worried about. Trump using this phrase for anything he doesn't like is trivialising something that has serious negative potential.

What a prize pillock he is!

Iam64 Fri 13-Jul-18 20:43:06

True Luckygirl, fake news is a reality.
I'm no fan of the Sun but I know who I believe on this particular Fake News scandal.
Trump is dangerous - such a creep, such a mendacious, manipulative, liar. His main personality characteristic I've seen on display during the past week - is he's a lying bully.

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 20:46:03

The negative slant is what the British do, unfortunately!
The media seems to revel in it.

Anniebach Fri 13-Jul-18 21:09:26

He didn’t deny what he said, he complained because all he had said had not been repeated

Iam64 Fri 13-Jul-18 21:40:26

Well, I've been watching the news this evening, including the press conferences. I don't believe the news media need to put a negative slant on the meetings between TM and DT. DT can do that with no help from the media. TM has behaved with real dignity and diplomacy in the face of DT being alternately very rude, dismissive and demeaning followed speedily by him being patronising, ingratiating and smarmy.
On a superficial note, I thought TM looked good in her red suit during tonight's press conference.

Elrel Fri 13-Jul-18 21:45:11

Peeping out from under duvet 'Has he gone yet?'

NfkDumpling Fri 13-Jul-18 21:49:43

No, you’re not alone Bridgeit. But the media always put a negative slant on most things nowadays. Positive thinking is unknown to the BBC especially.

I don’t like Mr Trump or what he stands for, but both were making an effort and he may indeed have found out more about Ms May’s proposals and found they made sense. There’s so much going on which we no nothing of.

NfkDumpling Fri 13-Jul-18 21:50:20

No? I’m going dyslexic. Know!!

PECS Fri 13-Jul-18 21:59:03

Trump is such a delusional tyrant. If he does not like how something turns out he denies it ever happened. Like the kid with chocolate round her mouth denying they ate the cake!
There were some very witty placards on the protest today.

Bridgeit Fri 13-Jul-18 22:02:23

Exactly NfkDumpling, I thought it was riveting, you could actually see him mentally pausing in an attempt to get/set the right tone. That’s quite a rare occurrence I think?

BlueBelle Fri 13-Jul-18 22:11:46

He’s an idiot with a bigger mouth than a brain

starbird Fri 13-Jul-18 22:14:59

Any agreement with him will not be worth the paper it’s written on.

NfkDumpling Fri 13-Jul-18 22:19:44

By the time we get to trade agreements with the USA, he won’t be there.