Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taking in neighbours parcels?

(147 Posts)
pixie1 Fri 13-Jul-18 21:06:22

We accepted a parcel for our neighbour for the second time in six months today. We don't know them as they are new to our road. Last time, because they didn't call for the delivery we took it across the road to them.

This time we took it in at 15.00 and expected one of them to come to collect when they got home from work but no, and it's now 21.05. My other half is out and I had to shower really quickly this evening just in case they rang the bell. Am I being unreasonable in keeping the damn parcel until they come to collect?

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 21:09:50

No, not at all, as the delivery man would have put a note through their door saying where the parcel would be left, and it’s up to them to come over and ask you for it.
You are not a delivery service, and have done your good deed by taking the parcel in.

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 21:11:09

We often take in our neighbours parcels, but keave them in the hall until they are collected.

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 21:11:35

Leave, not keave.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Jul-18 21:14:20

My neighbour gets countless parcels delivered, and never opens the door to take them.
My hall ends up looking like a royal mail sorting office.

Marydoll Fri 13-Jul-18 21:19:00

My neighbours and I have always taken in each other's parcels. It happens two or three times a week. The delivery men all know who will take them in without a fuss.
It's understood that we all keep them until they are picked up.

JustALaugh Fri 13-Jul-18 21:20:03

I often take in parcels for neighbours who work full-time. I don't mind. I've often taken them round to them. I find it better to try to get on with neighbours (unless they are really horrible/noisy/difficult), as it's always possible I might need someone to return the favour some time.

Is it really such a massive problem?

mumofmadboys Fri 13-Jul-18 21:21:40

I would just deliver it to the neighbour's house and not worry about it. It's only a five minute or less job surely.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Jul-18 21:22:54

My neighbour doesn't open the door to me, either! Not until she is ready. smile

Farmor15 Fri 13-Jul-18 21:24:32

Delivery person may not have left note for neighbours. I’d wait till tomorrow and then bring it over to them. I would then ask for their phone number, so if it happens again, you can contact them and ask to pick up- at a time that suits you.

Beau Fri 13-Jul-18 21:25:07

I take in one neighbour's parcels at least once a week as I am at home looking after DGS and they are at work - no skin off my nose, I leave it in the lobby until he collects it. I wouldn't put myself out though, he can collect it when I hear the doorbell, it's not as though he has far to come. In fact he's the only neighbour I have met so I'm grateful that his teenage daughters order so much stuff online with his card (according to him!)

lemongrove Fri 13-Jul-18 21:28:50

Delivery people have to leave a note saying where they left it.
Anyone who takes in regular parcels soon gets tired of taking them round to their owner, who often isn’t even in.
Much better to wait for them to be collected.

Greenfinch Fri 13-Jul-18 21:29:24

We always take tte parcels round as soon as we see that the neighbours have returned. The delivery people do not always leave a note and it is a chance for us to see the children. It's no trouble.

Farmor15 Fri 13-Jul-18 21:43:09

We’ve had parcels left in our shed, with no note in door. Only found by chance as don’t often go in shed. Different delivery services have different practices.

Elrel Fri 13-Jul-18 21:43:39

No trouble in my road to take in parcels for neighbours.

FlexibleFriend Fri 13-Jul-18 21:46:52

I always take parcels in and always ask the drivers to make sure they leave a note, I then leave it in my porch until they come and collect it. It's not a problem but I certainly wouldn't rush my shower to suit them.

MissAdventure Fri 13-Jul-18 21:49:11

I end up fretting that its been days, and I still have parcels to deliver!

luluaugust Fri 13-Jul-18 22:34:03

We take in parcels and very occasionally they are taken in by the neighbours for us, if I remember I ask the delivery person to leave a note. Usually end up having a brief chat when they come to collect. You could take the parcel over and get to know them a little better.

Auntieflo Fri 13-Jul-18 22:46:33

We took in a parcel for our neighbours this morning. Later we saw another delivery van leaving their home, after leaving the delivery in one of the black boxes outside, on their doorstop. DH said the second delivery chap could have taken the first parcel, if he was dodgy. Our neighbours always collect their parcels as soon as possible, usually by sending one of their delightful daughters over to us. It keeps nice contact with neighbours we don't see very often, and for those who work full time.

Moocow Fri 13-Jul-18 22:49:25

One of my neighbours took advantage once too often so now i no longer accept parcels for them. I do not understand why anyone would expect you to not only do them the favour of taking the parcel in for their convenience and then not collect it immediately.

Teetime Fri 13-Jul-18 22:51:02

Happy to take in parcels and help neighbours out- no problem at all to pop them round once they are home.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Jul-18 22:51:08

I happily take in parcels for neighbours, as do they for me. But the heavy rolled up carpet/rug that I ended up taking in for one neighbour recently was a complete pain! I don't have a hall way, or porch and it took up half my living room for 2 days before they came to collect it.

paddyann Fri 13-Jul-18 22:52:47

its no problem taking in parcels,and delivering them when we see their cars in the drive.It only takes minutes why would it be an issue to be neighbourly ?

Bluegal Fri 13-Jul-18 22:59:28

TWICE in sIx months... wow that is excessive ?. Good to have good neighbors then. Glad you aren’t mine.

annep Fri 13-Jul-18 23:16:13

Next door neighbours work. I take in parcels all the time and deliver them. notes aren't always left. No bother. glad to help. I would hope someone would do it for me.