Gransnet forums

AIBU

Taking in neighbours parcels?

(148 Posts)
pixie1 Fri 13-Jul-18 21:06:22

We accepted a parcel for our neighbour for the second time in six months today. We don't know them as they are new to our road. Last time, because they didn't call for the delivery we took it across the road to them.

This time we took it in at 15.00 and expected one of them to come to collect when they got home from work but no, and it's now 21.05. My other half is out and I had to shower really quickly this evening just in case they rang the bell. Am I being unreasonable in keeping the damn parcel until they come to collect?

Riggie Wed 18-Jul-18 18:30:25

I do sometimes despair about our neighbours. I see them loading their car for a holiday and know that well end up with a parcel for them. Sometimes only a couple of hours later!!

MawBroon Wed 18-Jul-18 19:00:39

My lovely friend and neighbour has just been, bearing a Gudrun Sjöden delivery for me and two cans of Pimms smile
OP might care to try that to break the ice and make friends with her (new) neighbours!

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Jul-18 20:09:28

I thought that would have been the sensible - and nice - thing to do as well MawBroon.

Marydoll Wed 18-Jul-18 20:43:51

Thank you, Maw. I had never heard of this company, so I had a look. I really like what I see. smile

mumofmadboys Wed 18-Jul-18 20:48:08

If we all treat our neighbours in the way we would like them to treat us, the world would be a happier place!

Jalima1108 Wed 18-Jul-18 20:50:10

The Water Babies:
Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby

annsixty Thu 19-Jul-18 10:11:59

I haven't read through all of this thread so my tale may have been experienced by others.
I am mostly at home so we take in numerous parcels for neighbours,
I bought something on line from JL and received an e-mail from Royal Mail on Tuesday morning to say it would be delivered that day and a signature was required.
I was in all day , no parcel.
Yesterday another e-mailto say it had been sent to Manchester and then to Stockport and would be delivered yesterday.
I was out for 2 hours in the morning but came home to no note through the door.
I received an e-mail late afternoon to say parcel had been delivered.
No it hadn't and no note to tell me if it was with a neighbour.
No neighbour has been in touch.
I have rung Royal Mail and no idea what has happened, they will investigate.
I am now worried as to the outcome.
The goods cost £225 and I paid by debit card not credit.

MillyG Tue 24-Jul-18 00:04:17

If taking in parcels for your neighbours causes you to get really stressed out then don’t do it, there’s no obligation to be helpful.
Of course, the potential knock-on effect is that they may decline to help you out when you need it.
We all need each other, in this world, - ‘do unto others as you’d have them do unto you’.

OldMeg Tue 24-Jul-18 07:03:06

Did you get sorted annsixty ?

annsixty Tue 24-Jul-18 07:16:18

In the end I rang John Lewis customer services, they were able to tell me who had signed for it.
It was my neighbour next door, I went round and she handed it over 26 hours after she signed for it.
She said her husband had been round and I didn't answer the door.
They knew my H was in respite but made no other attempt even though the second day I had several visitors with cars, they could see I was home.
As I keep reminding people very frequently " I am 81 you know",
I think my face and attitude told it all as next day one of them brought my empty refuse bins back from the kerbside oto my back gate,for which I thanked them profusely.

Witzend Tue 24-Jul-18 13:35:39

We take in neighbours' parcels, but they always collect them promptly. I would soon stop doing it for anyone who didn't.

OldMeg Tue 24-Jul-18 13:48:06

Glad it was sorted Ann

The fault lay with the delivery company for not leaving you a note telling you where it was.

bikergran Tue 24-Jul-18 23:19:29

I'm sure the post office once brought out a sticker saying "no parcels taken in here. (if you didn't want to take in parcels)

PECS Tue 24-Jul-18 23:29:02

I am happy to help if I can. Does not happen that often but nice to be neighbourly.. and of course that is a two way thing so hopefully the neighbour would reciprocate and also collect said parcel with a smile and a thank you as soon as they were able to.

Bathsheba Thu 26-Jul-18 08:53:53

I'm sure the post office once brought out a sticker saying "no parcels taken in here. (if you didn't want to take in parcels)
Goodness, I don't think I'd want to advertise my mean spiritedness (that is if I were mean spirited enough to refuse to take in parcels which, happily, I am not wink)

TerriBull Thu 26-Jul-18 09:56:25

I take my next door neighbours parcels for her, she orders quite a bit on line, I don't mind if I'm home and she is working, although she did leave one at ours for about a week before she collected it. I think she appreciates it though when her brother was over from America he told us "she thinks we are good neighbours to her especially as we take in her parcels" so I was pleased to hear that.

gillybob Thu 26-Jul-18 10:27:28

A similar thing happened to me with Clarks annsixty .

I received an email to say my parcel had been delivered. no card through the door. I called at several neighbours and no-one had the parcel. It took me almost 6 weeks to get a refund from Clarks as they could not prove who had taken in the parcel. Glad you got yours sorted though.

My neighbours and I always take parcels in for each other. I am out at work most days so it tends to be more them taking things in for me than the other way around. Its often not a case of no-one bothering to come and pick their parcel up as its easy to keep missing each other.

Grannygrunt123 Thu 16-Aug-18 16:15:23

Absolutely

Ironmaiden Sat 18-Aug-18 17:24:59

At my last address I had a knock on the door from a guy across the road. He said he’d had a card through the door to say I had taken his parcel in. Although I regularly took in parcels for neighbours as I work from home, I hadn’t taken this persons in. He looked accusingly at me and asked was I sure because that’s what was written on the card! It really upset me and I felt like I was defending myself. He left begrudgingly and I didn’t hear from him again, but I would have liked an apology as he must have found it eventually. Since then I have tried to avoid taking other people’s damn parcels in as much as possible.

Dieselfurbaby Sat 18-Aug-18 17:35:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissAdventure Sat 18-Aug-18 17:38:56

Oh, it would be better if you started a whole new thread for this.
You'll get more responses, and I know there are people with good insight to the kind of issues you mention.

Madgran77 Sat 18-Aug-18 18:19:53

I don't really get this "problem"! If you have a shower so don't answer the door then so what? I'd pop it over tomorrow if they don't pick it up! Posties don't always leave a note BTW