Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbours talking in garden til midnight

(79 Posts)
Atqui Sun 15-Jul-18 15:07:38

We have some new neighbours in the (rented) house next door. In this heat we have our bedroom window open wide , and can hear talking from the people in the garden next door . Understandably they want to sit outside in the evening, but AIBU to expect them to continue their loud conversations indoors after 11 pm. It went on until 12.15 last night and we had to close the window. (even then we could still hear them)

FoghornLeghorn Sat 27-Jun-20 13:15:52

I can understand why this would annoy you OP. If you are out in your garden at 11pm you should be mindful that it’s likely some of your neighbours might be trying to sleep. To carry on with loud voices as if it’s the middle of the day is selfish and inconsiderate. All that’s needed is a little bit of thought for others.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Jun-20 14:07:32

Well droning voices would lull me off to sleep But I still think because it’s not a year round thing and will only happen for a few odd nights a year it’s not something to get het up about
...live and let live
Unfortunately because the first time it annoyed you your brain will be all the more tuned into it and It will become even more annoying
It’s like husbands (or wives) that snore or a house with a loud ticking clock things you re not used to tend to annoy when it comes to sleep but it really could be so much worse Drug addicts could have moved in or people playing loud music or lots of young children, screaming babies, a whining or barking dog

annep1 Sat 27-Jun-20 14:40:42

It would annoy me too Atqui and I agree that people can say YABU without being rude.
If we were in the garden that late we would talk quietly. We wouldn't want everyone to hear our conversation anyway. But then people don't care about that nowadays (talking loudly on mobile phones on trains eg).
However I wouldn't say anything unless it was every night.
And short term tenants often don't care as much about what neighbours think. You can tell the rented houses in our street by the messy front gardens and hedges taking up half the pavement.

granzilla Sat 27-Jun-20 23:48:48

Why resurrect a 2 year old ZOMBIE THREAD?

Atqui Sun 28-Jun-20 11:36:21

I was surprised too and fortunately said neighbours are long gone! Perhaps a new member was scrolling through old posts and found it relevant for current situation . I have a friend who’s garden experience has been completely ruined by thoughtless neighbours this summer.

soloflier Sun 28-Jun-20 13:31:48

try living nxt door to people who put folding doors along the the whole wall nxt to your house its like living nxt to an open showroom for cars u hear every word. dog barking non stop.the huge freezer noise all night long through the walls.the folding glass doors should be for detached homes not a semi.i bought a workmans ear defenders to shut them out works for me..peace at last.

annep1 Sun 28-Jun-20 19:00:57

GoshI didn't realise it was an old post. I'm glad they've gone Atqui.

Naty Sun 28-Jun-20 23:57:21

I think you need to use earplugs. 12 isn't late. Conversations are fine past midnight. Get a white noise machine.

Naty Sun 28-Jun-20 23:58:00

Oops zombie thread

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Jul-20 14:23:03

Just wear earplugs, it will stop when summer is over.

Toadinthehole Sun 26-Jul-20 16:29:36

I have two suggestions:
1. I have discovered’ brown noise’, a derivative of ‘white noise’, to help with sleep at any time, not just when you’re being disturbed. It would drown out their talking, as it’s not disturbing no matter how loud it is. It works a dream with my husband’s snoring!
2. It may not work with ‘normal’ people, but we have students around us, and mostly they’re fine, but talking late in gardens is a popular thing. I just ask them to be conscious, that as noise travels at night, every word can be heard very clearly. This has never failed, and they soo go inside!
I think you do need to have some tolerance, but I know how disturbing it can be, even for one night. They may also be breaching tenancy rules. Have a word if it continues, and tell them you can hear them. Good luck.

Toadinthehole Sun 26-Jul-20 16:30:25

soon go inside

Toadinthehole Sun 26-Jul-20 16:32:46

Just noticed how old this thread is!! They’ve probably long gone?

Taliya Tue 28-Jul-20 18:12:44

I don't think your neighbours talking in their garden until late at night is something to complain about. If they were shouting , screaming or singing loudly or playing music till late at night then yes you would have good reason to complain. It's not that hot, especially at night, so I'm sure closing the window won't make your bedroom unbearably warm. If you have double glazing you shouldn't be able to hear them talking in their garden. I think you are being a bit unreasonable but saying that some people are more sensitive to noise than other people.

Taliya Tue 28-Jul-20 18:15:18

Gosh...just looked at the date of this thread and first comments and it's two years old!?

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jul-20 18:27:21

I just noticed petra commenting! Then thought ‘hang on, how old is this thread?’.

2014??
???

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jul-20 18:28:37

2018. Sorry.
Still ....
?
Bye bye.

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jul-20 22:06:40

Urmstongran
It surprised me too ? I thought, oh no, someone has my old name. Then I read my post and realised it was me ?
My own post brought back lovely memories of hot evenings.
Although we haven't done too bad for the past 5 months in Southend.

Callistemon Tue 28-Jul-20 22:51:40

I wondered if they were still in the garden talking

Through all that winter weather too
?

johnoleary57 Sun 13-Jun-21 21:47:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blossoming Sun 13-Jun-21 22:02:19

Troll. Reported.

PinkCakes Sun 13-Jun-21 22:13:37

This post is almost 3 years old....... but still, I think it IS unreasonable to moan about the neighbours chatting until midnght.

Redhead56 Sun 13-Jun-21 22:24:55

Recycling a thread probably just talking really? We listen to parties and karaoke all hours. I am not going to be the one to complain it’s families getting together having fun. It’s not what we do but each to their own.

Shelflife Sun 13-Jun-21 23:33:58

Atqui, I sympathize with you ! You are not being unreasonable! It is a difficult dilema . Your neighbours however are entitled to sit and chat outside at night . I am sitting outside now with my husband but we are being fairly quiet! Quality ear plugs might bc the answer. I think some responses to your post have been a little too sharp! It is difficult trying to sleep when you can hear your neighbours chatting. Buy the ear plugs or listen to classic FM ! Good luck and please don't fall out with your neighbour over this .

Nannytopsy Sun 13-Jun-21 23:43:23

We have very loud neighbours who shout, scream and swear from about 10am until 1am three or four days a week. There is often quite a lot of loud music. This isn’t only in the warm weather.
When we bought the house, the lady next door told me how pleased she was that we had moved in because the previous occupants of our house were so noisy!
I haven’t said anything yet but I wonder if she realises we can great every word of their sometimes quite private conversations? ?