Gransnet forums

AIBU

Permanent Memorials at Roadside Accident Spots

(104 Posts)
NanaEm Fri 27-Jul-18 10:29:11

I’ve just driven back to Ireland from a break in Wales and England and am surprised at the number of memorials I’ve seen by the roadsides marking the deaths of accident victims. Some of these were quite elaborate granite headstones, some were wooden crosses with brass plaques. I feel so sorry for the families bereaved in this way but also feel our public roadsides are not the place for these permanent memorials. Am I being unreasonable for not agreeing with this?

caocao Sun 29-Jul-18 10:45:29

Paddyann - my mother also used to say "I don't want flowers when I'm dead - they should be enjoyed by the living." My sisters, who never bought her any while she was alive will take flowers and place them in the memorial garden where her ashes were scattered, but I never have. What I do is occasionally buy some flowers "for Mum", place then in a vase in my living room, enjoy them and think of her each time I see them.

MamaCaz Sun 29-Jul-18 14:12:34

That's a lovely way to remember someone, caocao smile

paddyann Sun 29-Jul-18 16:46:23

I need a "like" button for that caocao ,my sisters are the same .Yet none of the family were ever visitors to graves etc.So I find it odd ..along with their Happy Heavenly Birthday things they put on FB ....yes she really wouldn't have liked or understood why they do that since one of them didn't even see her for 12 years .